The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qua
Business as usual after the clásico. As I said, I think this is the reason RFEF (Spanish FA) appoint Mallenco to referee the clásicos so often - he has made loads of wrong calls against both teams & is generally hated by both teams, and thus can't be accused of favouritism.

CR always comes up with conspiracy theories. He never talks about individual games but always sees a system or recurring theme behind things. On Blatter: "Much is explained now. I wish Mr. Blatter health and a long life, with the certainty that he will continue to witness, as he deserves, the successes of his favourite teams and players." And that is ignoring that Blatter is a member of RM. :laugh:

A bit like Xavi and his pitch condition theories.

What he says is laughable of course - he should go back to the Elche game this season, where the referee gifted RM a wrong corner and a wrong penalty in the 96th minute and later manipulated the match report to hide it.

yeah I was annoyed from the elche game. They were definitely robbed :mad:

ronaldo keeps crying over everything. So damn whiny. Were the comments he made to blatter when he accused him of not being enough of a leader or something?
Reply 4261
Original post by The Assassin
yeah I was annoyed from the elche game. They were definitely robbed :mad:

ronaldo keeps crying over everything. So damn whiny. Were the comments he made to blatter when he accused him of not being enough of a leader or something?

Yeah, that was his reaction to Blatter calling him a "general" on the field (and Messi a "good boy"). Blatter is a prick of course and those comments were stupid from him, but they were made at some kind of symposium with students at Oxford Union, so he didn't mean them seriously and nobody took them seriously, the press just made a fuss about it. Childish reaction from CR to go out and make such an exaggerated statement about it ("This video shows clearly the respect and consideration that FIFA has for me, for my club and my country.") Blatter didn't even talk about Portugal or Real. In the game after that statement, CR made that military salute celebration, that would have been enough off a reaction tbh.

Original post by jam277
Of course they're not simple, but I'd say that there aren't many games that you wouldn't expect them to drop too many points in.

The Sevilla game just got a little harder: Ramos and Di Maria suspended, Ronaldo possibly too.
(edited 10 years ago)
Ronaldo banned? Nah no way haha :tongue:
Original post by qua
The Sevilla game just got a little harder: Ramos and Di Maria suspended, Ronaldo possibly too.

I know Ramos would be suspended because of his red card - but why would Ronaldo and di María be suspended? What have they done?
Original post by tazarooni89
I know Ramos would be suspended because of his red card - but why would Ronaldo and di María be suspended? What have they done?

Not sure about Di Maria but Ronaldo for his constant bitching and accusations of favoritism. If it was any other player from a team that wasn't Barcelona or R.Madrid they would be banned.
Original post by The Assassin
CR7: "i've been here 5 years now, i'm slowly understanding how things work. Since i've been here, madrid have never benefitted from the ref" [@marca]

He says, after being awarded a penalty for a foul that occurred outside the area :s-smilie:
Ronaldo is a classy footballer in terms of skill, but a classless person in terms of the way he conducts himself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qua
Business as usual after the clásico. As I said, I think this is the reason RFEF (Spanish FA) appoint Mallenco to referee the clásicos so often - he has made loads of wrong calls against both teams & is generally hated by both teams, and thus can't be accused of favouritism.

CR always comes up with conspiracy theories. He never talks about individual games but always sees a system or recurring theme behind things. On Blatter: "Much is explained now. I wish Mr. Blatter health and a long life, with the certainty that he will continue to witness, as he deserves, the successes of his favourite teams and players." And that is ignoring that Blatter is a member of RM. :laugh:

A bit like Xavi and his pitch condition theories.

What he says is laughable of course - he should go back to the Elche game this season, where the referee gifted RM a wrong corner and a wrong penalty in the 96th minute and later manipulated the match report to hide it.

1.Neymar Dived, wrong penalty.
2. Neymar was offside when he went on through, still allowed.
3. Unfair red, despite busquets stepping on pepes face. LOL
4. Iniesta foul wasn't a foul. If you think thats a foul then last el classico ronaldo should have had one too.
He says, after being awarded a penalty for a foul that occurred outside the area :s-smilie:

1. Deserved a penalty last el classico didnt get it.
2. Barca got penalty outside box against city. But ofc you miss that out..

3. Pepe gets a yellow for this LOL:

Bjch2RWIMAEJyMF.jpg
Reply 4269

Di María had his fifth yellow. Ronaldo for his comments on the referee, but that was just speculation. I doubt that will happen.

Original post by Pistol 33

2. Barca got penalty outside box against city. But ofc you miss that out..

1. There were two penalties that were not given (and didn't have to necessarily) in the last clásico, it evened out.
2. The penalty against City was awarded because Demichelis' foul continued inside the box, that's in accordance with UEFA rules. The foul started outside the box, but the decisive contact happened when Messi was in the box, which means a penalty. That wasn't the case with CR yesterday with the decisive contact happening & ending outside the box.

Spoiler

3. Pepe didn't get a yellow for this but for choking Cesc/starting a fight.

Spoiler

(And Cesc fought back, which is why he got a yellow as well.)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by qua
Di María had his fifth yellow. Ronaldo for his comments on the referee, but that was just speculation. I doubt that will happen.

Why doesn't sergio B get suspended for this?Bjch2RWIMAEJyMF.jpg
Original post by qua

1. In the last clásico there were two penalties that were not given, so it evened out.
2. The penalty was awarded because the foul continued inside the box, which is in accordance with UEFA rules. The foul started outside the box, but the decisive contact happened when Messi was in the box.
3. He didn't get a yellow for that. And how you can make a case for Pepe of all people is beyond me.

Spoiler

So basically what you're saying is it was okay to stamp on pepe, dismiss barcas penalty against man city but say ronaldo's foul isn't a penalty

Oh and stop attacking Pepe. Fabregas wasn't innocent.
Reply 4272
So basically what you're saying is it was okay to stamp on pepe, dismiss barcas penalty against man city but say ronaldo's foul isn't a penalty

Oh and stop attacking Pepe. Fabregas wasn't innocent.

Not into semantics then? I didn't say any of that.

Anyway, Sevilla is the most in-form team in la liga right now with 5 wins in a row. Knocked out Betis in the EL so they have a lot of momentum going into the clash with Real. Shall be interesting.
Bilbao look on course for CL qualification. 8 point gap between them and Sevilla with 9 games to go. Still have to play Barça, Atléti and Sevilla so it won't be easy, but I hope they'll make it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Sorry, but what do you expect from him?

He played counter attacking football for Brazil where he thrived in, has to play a totally different style of play where he plays in tight spaces. In a much more tactical league with much better defenders. He's not going to be getting 20 goals a season yet for sure.

If he didn't have as much hype on him, he'd have been better suited going to another club in europe like Portugal for him to learn his trade in europe then get his break at Barca.

That's all fair enough, and I already acknowledged that I appreciate the difficulties involved in moving and the fact that he's still very young (Ronaldo/Bale/Messi obviously hadn't peaked by twenty-two). So it's not a case of stats, or even a case of reducing the issue to 'performances'. It's more attributes - admittedly I didn't watch Barcelona over the winter months a lot for various reasons, but from what I have seen, Neymar has a lot more to do with regards to decision-making than other really top players.

I may be ridiculed for the comparison because obviously the players have such a huge disparity in ability, etc, but when I watch Neymar in the final third at times some of the problems that really frustrate me when watching Zaha seem prevalent in him as well: a bit rushed, a bit panicked, and a lot of raw skill that doesn't really translate itself into an end product.

But my initial comment was hardly intended to write Neymar off. He's done okay, but he hasn't really caught my eye irrespective of bare 'figures,', which I know can be easily taken as the only mark of a player's quality.
Original post by qua
I know, that's what I've said before. That they would go back to counter football as their main means of attacking against any team thad has a good and organised midfield was to be expected.
I wasn't talking about the general approach though, but rather about the way they go forward, i.e. counter. They don't play downright possession in all the other la liga games either, but often rely on very quick and direct movements forward after winning the ball in their own half, with strategic positional play of the front 3, which you could describe as some form of counter football. I think this strategy would have been effective against Barcelona because of Alves and Alba playing so high up the pitch and Mascherano's positioning generally being poor. But in those two clásicos as well as in the first Atlético match, RM haven't made use of that but rather played like they did under Mourinho. Which I think isn't as effective against Barcelona as it used to be back then, because Özil was better suited to it than Modric and Barcelona's defence is better.

Yeah, it's interesting that Real seem like flat track bullies atm.

Counter football Mourinho style(big games anyway) probably wasn't the right style for Madrid in the first place if I was being honest with you. If they had a player of the quality of Javi Martinez or a Nemanja Matic and forced Ronaldo to work for the team then yes they'd suit Mourinho, but they had too many guile players who were too offensively minded, it made them devastating when they got a counter, but you always felt the way in which they defended seemed very risky, it's as if they have two David Luiz's at CB at times.

If you think about it, Real conceded 42 goals in their final season, more than Mourinho did in his first 2 years at Chelsea. I don't think that style suited that team at all tbh.

I assume you mean Ozil is better suited to it than Modric because he's more of a traditional no.10, who will stay higher up the pitch and pass to runners in space like Bale/Ronaldo/Di Maria right?

Personally I don't think your defence is much better than last season, you generally aren't the greatest defensively but you restrict the no of quality chances the opposition gets. I don't watch you guys every week so may be misinformed, but that's what it seems to me. If a team put you under a sustained period of pressure(Bayern Munich/Dortmund possibly) or were very clinical with their players(Atlético/Chelsea/Dortmund) The likes of mascherano will be pretty suspect and you'll leak more goals.
Original post by KingMessi
That's all fair enough, and I already acknowledged that I appreciate the difficulties involved in moving and the fact that he's still very young (Ronaldo/Bale/Messi obviously hadn't peaked by twenty-two). So it's not a case of stats, or even a case of reducing the issue to 'performances'. It's more attributes - admittedly I didn't watch Barcelona over the winter months a lot for various reasons, but from what I have seen, Neymar has a lot more to do with regards to decision-making than other really top players.

I may be ridiculed for the comparison because obviously the players have such a huge disparity in ability, etc, but when I watch Neymar in the final third at times some of the problems that really frustrate me when watching Zaha seem prevalent in him as well: a bit rushed, a bit panicked, and a lot of raw skill that doesn't really translate itself into an end product.

But my initial comment was hardly intended to write Neymar off. He's done okay, but he hasn't really caught my eye irrespective of bare 'figures,', which I know can be easily taken as the only mark of a player's quality.

It's understandable.

I think that decision making process is partially down to a difference in system. I said before if we were to play Gareth Bale in Barcelona he'd play at LB, not on the wing, because he's not the type of player to suit Barcelona's system.

Zaha comparisons, I see what you mean here, personally I had the same criticisms of Sanchez when he came to Barca, his decision making and end product were not there but he obviously was a great talent. Gervinho would be another guy I'd compare him to, especially considering he's come good at Roma. Neymar does have a skillset capable of being useful at Barcelona, which is why they bought him in the first place but it's not at the level that's required and expected of him.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4276
3-2 Barca.

Messi hatrick

Ronaldo Bale with 1

Close prediction, should have put money on Messi lol.

Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
:laugh: :laugh:

I'll stop posting on TSR forever if that happens.

Is 4-3 with Messi hatrick enough? :p:
Reply 4277
Original post by jam277
Yeah, it's interesting that Real seem like flat track bullies atm.

Counter football Mourinho style(big games anyway) probably wasn't the right style for Madrid in the first place if I was being honest with you. If they had a player of the quality of Javi Martinez or a Nemanja Matic and forced Ronaldo to work for the team then yes they'd suit Mourinho, but they had too many guile players who were too offensively minded, it made them devastating when they got a counter, but you always felt the way in which they defended seemed very risky, it's as if they have two David Luiz's at CB at times.
[
If you think about it, Real conceded 42 goals in their final season, more than Mourinho did in his first 2 years at Chelsea. I don't think that style suited that team at all tbh.

I assume you mean Ozil is better suited to it than Modric because he's more of a traditional no.10, who will stay higher up the pitch and pass to runners in space like Bale/Ronaldo/Di Maria right?

Personally I don't think your defence is much better than last season, you generally aren't the greatest defensively but you restrict the no of quality chances the opposition gets. I don't watch you guys every week so may be misinformed, but that's what it seems to me. If a team put you under a sustained period of pressure(Bayern Munich/Dortmund possibly) or were very clinical with their players(Atlético/Chelsea/Dortmund) The likes of mascherano will be pretty suspect and you'll leak more goals.

I agree it was never the ideal style for them, which is why I wonder why Ancelotti goes back to it against Barça and Atléti. I guess the fact that Mou got a few good clásico results (after the 0-5 battering) creates the illusion that his tacics were spot on for Madrid, although that is underestimating the psychological effect Mou had on his team in those games.
To be fair though, there seems to be a curse that makes all foreign managers think they need to completely change their proven tactics around for their feirst few clásicos or try out something completely new (Ancelotti's playing Ramos in midfield), and most get it gloriously wrong (cf. Mourinho's 0-5, Ramos' 2-6 etc). I guess it's the psychological pressure. Rather funny and almost a bit of a tradition. Martino did it too, but he got it spot on in the first game and got a win in the second.

Wrt Özil/Modric: That too, but I was talking more in terms of pace when running forward; Özil is much quicker than Modric. And even when at high speed he doesn't lose his calm to deliver a good pass, thus perfectly suited for Mou's counter tactics at RM. Modric works better with Ancelotti's counters (which as I said are less 'extreme' counters than Mou's) but generally isn't that great of a counter attack player anyway, which is why he performs so well this season now that RM play more possession football.

"Defence" is a vague term, so it depends on what exactly we're talking about. But in la liga, FCB have conceded significantly less shots both from open play as well as set pieces, have conceded less goals (25 v 33) and kept more clean sheets (13 vs 6). Definitely an improvement. Yes, that is through restricting the number of chances the opponent gets, but that is a defensive strategy as well. And we have handled Atléti rather well this season - 1 goal conceded in 3 games. City wasn't too bad either wih 1 goal conceded in 2 games. Having said that, the defence was much better in the first half of the season than in the second one, but so was the team performance as a whole.

I don't think anyone in their right mind expects Barça to fare well defensively against Bayern though. Most Barça fans expected to be battered by City and Real as well, so no surprise if we see another big defeat should there be a rematch in CL (although not as high as the circumstances are different). That Mascherano is still Barça's first-choice CB is a bit of a mystery, really, but then there is not much choice. Vilanova wasted most of the summer on Thiago Silva, whereas Martino didn't have time to do something on the transfer market when he was appointed. Puyol is injured and not up for the big games anymore, and Bartra has loads of potential but he isn't ready yet for those games (as was seen last season against Bayern). Best thing to do is offload Song, buy 2 CBs and move Mascherano back to DM to be rotated with Busquets.

Chelsea and Dortmund would be interesting matches. I certainly think Barça would concede a few against BVB, as with their full squad I think their counters are better than Real's - they look like Mou's Real on steroids sometimes. Against Chelsea Barça would certainly struggle a lot, althoug not necessarily because of defensive weakness but rather inability to break Chelsea's defensive setup.

By the way, video of Busquet's stomp on Pepe's head: https://vine.co/v/MMFUebFhUdr

Looks like his foot slides and he wasn't looking at the ground to me. Would have been disappointing had he done it on purpose.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by qua
By the way, video of Busquet's "stomp" on Pepe's head: https://vine.co/v/MMFUebFhUdr

Looks like his foot slides to me; and he wasn't looking at the ground.

Wow... trying to justify it.

Now i understand why barca won alot in the last few years. If Messi picked up the ball and ran into the goal the ref and barca fans would still find an excuse and justify it.

I feel sorry for Madrid, they were winning and playing better till the red card and penalty. Ref practically handed the game to barca.
Barca against Big teams over the years..
1..)2014 la liga vs madrid (1 red card + 2
penalties)

2..)2014 champions league vs city(red card
+penalty)
3...)2012 champions league vs chelsea in
semi
final(1 red card + penalty)
4...)2011 champions league quater final vs
arsenal
(1 red card + penalty)
5...)2011 champion league semi final vs
madrid