The Student Room Group

Fine Art Applicants and Universities 2014!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Original post by ritaldraw
Actually Lancaster was the only school I've applied to a Fine Art program ahah. I've applied to animation programs at London College of Communication, Arts Uni Bournemouth and Bournemouth Uni. What about you?
I haven't got the change yet but I would love to! Have you visited? If so, what did you think about the studio space?

Lancaster is lovely, I visited last year, and out of all of the uni's I have been to I would say it's by far the best. My applications were a bit of a mix because not many places did the combined course I wanted, so I applied to Reading, worcester, Bath Spa & Surrey ( just as a back up) but ultimately Lancaster is the only one that I really loved. I haven't actually seen the studio space as I just went on an open day, but I do know that they are open 24/7 which is really great ! & the LICA building is really modern. I am going to an applicant day on Wednesday, are you going to that ? Which uni do you think you will go for ? :smile:
Original post by Madip4455
Lancaster is lovely, I visited last year, and out of all of the uni's I have been to I would say it's by far the best. My applications were a bit of a mix because not many places did the combined course I wanted, so I applied to Reading, worcester, Bath Spa & Surrey ( just as a back up) but ultimately Lancaster is the only one that I really loved. I haven't actually seen the studio space as I just went on an open day, but I do know that they are open 24/7 which is really great ! & the LICA building is really modern. I am going to an applicant day on Wednesday, are you going to that ? Which uni do you think you will go for ? :smile:

I visited Lancaster and saw the studio space. It seemed quite sizable, with lots of windows so you'd have good light.
Good luck. :smile:
Reply 342
Original post by HelveticaBold
I visited Lancaster and saw the studio space. It seemed quite sizable, with lots of windows so you'd have good light.
Good luck. :smile:

thank you ! :smile: Are you going to Lancaster ?
Reply 343

Oh that's great! :smile:
Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to the applicant day as I live in Lisbon (Portugal) and flights booked on such short notice are really expensive :frown: I don't know, I'm really confused to be honest! The only school I had a chance to visit was LCC and I loved it, the facilities were great but I'm not sure about how good the program is.. Lancaster seems like a fantastic school but I'm not sure about the location :/
thank you ! :smile: Are you going to Lancaster ?

No, I didn't apply. When I booked the open day I thought I wanted a more academic course (I suppose I didn't want my grades to be for nothing, haha), but I realised when I got there that it wasn't the course for me. I just want to focus on becoming an artist.
Lancaster's a great opportunity if you want to mix courses though. :smile:
Reply 345
how were your goldsmiths interviews for fine art and history of art? when are we going to hear back from them?
Reply 346
how were your fine art and history of art interviews at goldsmiths? when are we going to know the results?
Original post by aasdaf
how were your fine art and history of art interviews at goldsmiths? when are we going to know the results?

My interview is tomorrow 😊 but when its all over I'll let you know haha. I hope it goes well I'm feeling Ill as well just my luck.
Original post by aasdaf

Have you already had yours? How did it go?

Original post by AndyHoccom
My interview is tomorrow but when its all over I'll let you know haha. I hope it goes well I'm feeling Ill as well just my luck.

Good luck! :smile: Hope you're feeling better tomorrow.
Have you already had yours? How did it go?

Good luck! :smile: Hope you're feeling better tomorrow.

Haha thankyou 😊. I tweeted about it and goldsmiths replied saying the same thing 😁. I've condensed my portfolio down slightly today seen as they said in the email they want a small portfolio of recent work. I hope they like it in all its slightly macabre nature haha
Haha thankyou 😊. I tweeted about it and goldsmiths replied saying the same thing 😁. I've condensed my portfolio down slightly today seen as they said in the email they want a small portfolio of recent work. I hope they like it in all its slightly macabre nature haha

Aw, that's so nice of them. How many pieces are you taking? I was thinking about 15, but I'm including work from late last year. Do you think it should all be work from the last few months?
Aw, that's so nice of them. How many pieces are you taking? I was thinking about 15, but I'm including work from late last year. Do you think it should all be work from the last few months?

Yeah I'm taking around about that much as well I just have some photographs from Auschwitz that need mounting and I'll be ready. I don't think it particularly matters. They say use recent work but I guess that's just to get an idea of how you work now but if that work is influencing what you're doing it's useful I'd say :smile:
Yeah I'm taking around about that much as well I just have some photographs from Auschwitz that need mounting and I'll be ready. I don't think it particularly matters. They say use recent work but I guess that's just to get an idea of how you work now but if that work is influencing what you're doing it's useful I'd say :smile:

Yeah, that's what I thought, but it's nice to hear someone else say it. :smile: So far no one seems to look at the date/title/medium I put in the corner anyway. Good luck again for tomorrow.
Yeah, that's what I thought, but it's nice to hear someone else say it. :smile: So far no one seems to look at the date/title/medium I put in the corner anyway. Good luck again for tomorrow.

Haha thankyou. I'm honestly quite looking forward to it. They said in an email interviews only take about 30minutes so that'll be good seen as I have two in one day 😁 and Wimbledon want to see me to.
Haha thankyou. I'm honestly quite looking forward to it. They said in an email interviews only take about 30minutes so that'll be good seen as I have two in one day and Wimbledon want to see me too.

Oh wow, you're going to be busy! Where's your other interview?
Reply 355
Just got into CSM whoop whoop. So glad its all over haha
Reply 356
My interview is tomorrow 😊 but when its all over I'll let you know haha. I hope it goes well I'm feeling Ill as well just my luck.

Good luck! Hope you feel better today
Reply 357
Original post by WesChains

Awh congratulations :smile: I know what you mean, it's been really stressful! I'm going away in 3 weeks and can't wait!
Have you decided between CSM and Chelsea?
Reply 358

The email I received didn't mention size of portfolio/how many works to include, I was thinking of taking closer to 20; do you think that's too many?
In regards to your question, I'd say select works that represent your current interests/ideas and flow well together, I don't think there's any rule of when it should have been completed by! I've left my pages completely blank and I haven't been questioned about the dates my work was completed
Original post by WesChains

Yay! Are you going to accept?

Original post by omifeeney
The email I received didn't mention size of portfolio/how many works to include, I was thinking of taking closer to 20; do you think that's too many?
In regards to your question, I'd say select works that represent your current interests/ideas and flow well together, I don't think there's any rule of when it should have been completed by! I've left my pages completely blank and I haven't been questioned about the dates my work was completed

My email just said a 'portfolio of recent work'. I think how many you should take depends on how much you want to talk about each, also three of my pieces are films and if they want to look at all three that will take up more time.
If you've been taking 20 to other interviews and you had time to talk about the pieces you wanted to, then I'm sure 20 will be fine for Goldsmiths.
Thanks for the reassurance. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest