The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MatureStudent36
Shared risk.
Mutual support.
Economic Gain
Stability
Cultural alignment.

Scotland has no economic gain when it loses the next 21 billion oil barrels.

Cultural alignment? That doesn't make my life better.....plus a political union doesn't do that...look at americanisation.

Stability? Yeh I felt stable when the financial crash hit.

Mutual support? No reason why that wouldn't continue...unless the rUK go and shoot themselves in the foot out of spite
Original post by 1tartanarmy
Why do you insist with this salmond poop? Look at the big picture...he wont be hear for much longer.

So which illegal wars?
So which illegal wars?

Iraq for starters.
Reply 7043
Original post by Midlander
Blame the good people of Kirkcaldy. So you're happy with Salmond providing no answer to 'What will we do when RUK rejects a currency union?' other than 'They're bluffing'?

Posted from TSR Mobile

YES

Because we believe it is in England's best interests too. They have a history of lying/hyperbole in the build into referendums and finally because there is a Plan B, Plan C etc

They're just saying, we want Plan A, and what is wrong with that?
Scotland has no economic gain when it loses the next 21 billion oil barrels.

Cultural alignment? That doesn't make my life better.....plus a political union doesn't do that...look at americanisation.

Stability? Yeh I felt stable when the financial crash hit.

Mutual support? No reason why that wouldn't continue...unless the rUK go and shoot themselves in the foot out of spite

Oil versus the loss of Edinburgh financial sector. Tell
Me why the SNP haven't revised the GERS figures for recent reduction in oil
Output and revenues.

Funny you've mentioned the financial crash. The SNP advocating a light touch approach to banking regulations would've destroyed Scotland's economy overnight.
Reply 7045
Iraq for starters.

Cue, it wasn't an illegal war blah de fcuking blah!
Iraq for starters.

Care to mention which international body has said its illegal?

The Norwegians thought it worthwhile and committed troops. As did Iceland.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multinational_force_in_Iraq

You've also forgot to mention that Scottish politicians backed it led by a Scottish born PM, Scottish Chnacellor and an overly represented Scottish cabinet in Westminster.
Reply 7047
Care to mention which international body has said its illegal?

The United Nations perhaps?! Not good enough for ya?

Did you support the war or is this just another pedantic argument? Tony Blair was born in Scotland blah blah blah
Original post by Boab
The United Nations perhaps?! Not good enough for ya?

Did you support the war or is this just another pedantic argument? Tony Blair was born in Scotland blah blah blah

Care to show me the legal ruling about Iraq being illegal from the UN.

If they did, there's a resolution on it. Go on I dare you to show me that compelling evidence.

I not only supported it at the start. I went along for sh*ts and giggles. I definitely remember being welcomed into Basra as a liberator. The west won the war but lost the peace through poor post conflict planning.

But Iraq miraculously, for all of its troubles has a democratically elected givernment now for the first time in. Long time.
Original post by Boab
YES

Because we believe it is in England's best interests too. They have a history of lying/hyperbole in the build into referendums and finally because there is a Plan B, Plan C etc

They're just saying, we want Plan A, and what is wrong with that?

English people have a history of lying? Glad to see my concerns about Anglophobia in the Yes campaign were ill founded.

There is nothing wrong with wanting Plan A. But when you're being told in no uncertain terms that Plan A is not an option, you need a solid back up. Right now, the response of 'all 3 are bluffing' shows there isn't one.
Reply 7050
Care to show me the legal ruling about Iraq being illegal from the UN.

If they did, there's a resolution on it. Go on I dare you to show me that compelling evidence.

I not only supported it at the start. I went along for sh*ts and giggles. I definitely remember being welcomed into Basra as a liberator. The west won the war but lost the peace through poor post conflict planning.

But Iraq miraculously, for all of its troubles has a democratically elected givernment now for the first time in. Long time.

Here is Kofi Annan, the Secretary General of the UN denouncing it as illegal of course.... http://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/sep/16/iraq.iraq

Resolutions? Nobody pays attention to them, remember!

You supported the war and proclaim its virtues. Good for you, I expected nothing less.
Reply 7051
Original post by Midlander
English people have a history of lying? Glad to see my concerns about Anglophobia in the Yes campaign were ill founded.

There is nothing wrong with wanting Plan A. But when you're being told in no uncertain terms that Plan A is not an option, you need a solid back up. Right now, the response of 'all 3 are bluffing' shows there isn't one.

**** sake Midlander, you were being fairly open-minded at some point earlier today.
Anglophobia? Get a grip of your life! The political establishment, you know, the guys like Hague who claimed Scotland would be a ghetto 5 years after a Scottish parliament was founded etc etc etc

There is backup plans, and they are known, but YES will continue to say we want Plan A. Simples.

ps - half my family are English and Ive lived in England for more years than Scotland so far.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Boab
Here is Kofi Annan, the Secretary General of the UN denouncing it as illegal of course.... http://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/sep/16/iraq.iraq

Resolutions? Nobody pays attention to them, remember!

You supported the war and proclaim its virtues. Good for you, I expected nothing less.

So no legal
Body making a ruling then?
Original post by Boab
**** sake Midlander, you were being fairly open-minded at some point earlier today.
Anglophobia? Get a grip of your life! The political establishment, you know, the guys like Hague who claimed Scotland would be a ghetto 5 years after a Scottish parliament was founded etc etc etc

There is backup plans, and they are known, but YES will continue to say we want Plan A. Simples.

ps - half my family are English and Ive lived in England for more years than Scotland so far.

The political establishment is not composed solely of Englishmen and it does not solely represent England. That's how your point came across.

What are the back-up plans? They can't be that good if Yes politicians are refusing to just say them. Put this the other way round-Yes campaigners have criticised UK politicians for not giving enough detail about what will be on offer for Scotland if it remains in the union. Would you let them off by saying 'Scotland's bluffing, I don't need to tell you'?

P.S. I've lived in Scotland for 5 of the last 6 years and will be doing so for the next 3. It doesn't make a difference.
Reply 7054
You leap on the chance to falsely label somebody of being an Anglophile, of course I'm gonna mention half my family are English.

Why do you even ask what the back-up plans are? You know what they are, or at least if you have any common sense you can figure them out........

We have......

o Sterling;
o The Euro;
o A Scottish currency pegged to Sterling;
o A flexible Scottish currency.

Now, the
Fiscal Commission Working Group studied all four options and decided Scotland could choose any of these options, but advised one would be best, so, we are sticking with it . Does that prevent a Plan B happening if need be? No of course not and only a facetious argument would claim so.

Said it before, might as well repeat.

The Working Group considered four options:
o Sterling;
o The Euro;
o A Scottish currency pegged to Sterling; and,

Scotland could choose any of these options and be a successful independent country.

The Scottish Government is clear that post-independence it will always be up to the people of Scotland, and their elected government, to decide what our currency should
be. However, the present Government has the responsibility of negotiating what the best starting point would be for an independent Scotland.

www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/0041/00419554.pdf

It's really interesting that Osbourne's intervention didn't hurt, and may have even back-fired, according to the opinion polls. Maybe he played the trump card too soon?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7056
Bloody hell, TheBugle said the same thing as me. That must mean, that this information is out there and freely available for anyone to see. Crazy!
Original post by Boab
You leap on the chance to falsely label somebody of being an Anglophile, of course I'm gonna mention half my family are English.

Why do you even ask what the back-up plans are? You know what they are, or at least if you have any common sense you can figure them out........

We have......

o Sterling;
o The Euro;
o A Scottish currency pegged to Sterling;

Now, the
Fiscal Commission Working Group studied all four options and decided Scotland could choose any of these options, but advised one would be best, so, we are sticking with it . Does that prevent a Plan B happening if need be? No of course not and only a facetious argument would claim so.

Even though the major partner in a currency union has said no?

It may have missed you by but an awful lot if business is starting the get worried bout this now.
Reply 7058
Even though the major partner in a currency union has said no?

It may have missed you by but an awful lot if business is starting the get worried bout this now.

Yes, cos we reckon they are lying! And so do a lot of undecided's funnily enough!

Business? They'll get over it. Like we said, nobody said it'd be easy!

'It may have missed you by' right up there with 'I hate to tell you' for wit! Bravo sir!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Boab
Yes, cos we reckon they are lying! And so do a lot of undecided's funnily enough!

Business? They'll get over it. Like we said, nobody said it'd be easy!

Undecided as in 'unlikely to vote.'

You may feel that they're lying. I generally feel that when three political leaders, the head of the BoE and opinion polls showing no desire for it all indicate one outcome, a denial of the facts that is being displayed by yourself and the rest of the YeSNP campaign indicates just further wing it and hope for the best.

Latest