The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MatureStudent36
Even though the major partner in a currency union has said no?

It may have missed you by but an awful lot if business is starting the get worried bout this now.

Which businesses?
Reply 7061
Original post by MatureStudent36
Undecided as in 'unlikely to vote.'

You may feel that they're lying. I generally feel that when three political leaders, the head of the BoE and opinion polls showing no desire for it all indicate one outcome, a denial of the facts that is being displayed by yourself and the rest of the YeSNP campaign indicates just further wing it and hope for the best.

No, Undecided, is just that, plenty of them!

Good for you that you feel that way, you don't matter, in the nicest possible way of course. You are a nailed on NO.
Campaigning targets people other than you, and we reckon its working.

As for 'hope for the best', nope! The YES campaign knows exactly what its strategy is. Does the NO? Doesn't look like it to me.
Original post by CartoonHeart
Sorry for poor phrasing of the question, but I'm about to start an essay on Scottish Independence and I'm having the "blank paper" problem. I'm writing the essay in terms of fiscal policy but I am not sure what my opinion is. So that's why I want to know, what do the general public (or at least a load of intellectual, opinionated students) think about this? Even if anybody doesn't have anything to offer for my essay - in terms of fiscal policy - it may be quite an interesting debate. So all opinions regardless of the relevency to my work would be interesting. Thankyou :smile: - (Nothing rude please, there's no need for it).

I'm struggling to comprehend what Alex Salmond expects they'll live on ... deep-fried mars bars and haggis?!
Reply 7063
Original post by Le Franglais
I'm struggling to comprehend what Alex Salmond expects they'll live on ... deep-fried mars bars and haggis?!

Midlander. You want to answer that one?
Original post by Boab
Midlander. You want to answer that one?

Oh, no need for that, it was quite rhetorical actually.
Reply 7065
Original post by Le Franglais
Oh, no need for that, it was quite rhetorical actually.

Nae ****e, Sherlock!
Haud yer wheesht! ya bawbag ....
Original post by Boab
Nae ****e, Sherlock!

Haud yer wheesht! ya bawbag ....
Original post by Midlander
English people have a history of lying? Glad to see my concerns about Anglophobia in the Yes campaign were ill founded.

There is nothing wrong with wanting Plan A. But when you're being told in no uncertain terms that Plan A is not an option, you need a solid back up. Right now, the response of 'all 3 are bluffing' shows there isn't one.

Shocking midlander...shocking opening paragraph man you need to give yourself a shake. You can lie to yourself all you like but this referendum has nothing to do with nationality. Well...except better together seem to think it is...which if it was...independencence would be winning by a country mile. Which confirms it isn't!

There is a plan b, c , d, e and f...do a bit of reading for heavens sake...the options have been outlined by people with considerable expertise in the area. Plan A was outlined as the best option for all parties...which had to be choosen to keep in line with the edinburgh agreement.

People just don't believe the 3 main london parties when they say they wont have a currency union..it was recently riddiculed by a highly experienced researcher in bejiing.

Don't you think its another tactic by the self proclaimed project fear?

It doesn't matter...most scots do.

EDIT: for you midlander...incase you take another hissy fit, scots refers to people living in Scotland. New scots , scots who cares...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 1tartanarmy
Shocking midlander...shocking opening paragraph man you need to give yourself a shake. You can lie to yourself all you like but this referendum has nothing to do with nationality. Well...except better together seem to think it is...which if it was...independencence would be winning by a country mile. Which confirms it isn't!

There is a plan b, c , d, e and f...do a bit of reading for heavens sake...the options have been outlined by people with considerable expertise in the area. Plan A was outlined as the best option for all parties...which had to be choosen to keep in line with the edinburgh agreement.

People just don't believe the 3 main london parties when they say they wont have a currency union..it was recently riddiculed by a highly experienced researcher in bejiing.

Don't you think its another tactic by the self proclaimed project fear?

It doesn't matter...most scots do.

EDIT: for you midlander...incase you take another hissy fit, scots refers to people living in Scotland. New scots , scots who cares...

If everyone knows what the contingencies are then why can't the politicians involved go ahead and state them rather than hiding behind a smokescreen? What's so bloody complicated? And when have Better Together ever called themselves 'project fear'?
Original post by Midlander
If everyone knows what the contingencies are then why can't the politicians involved go ahead and state them rather than hiding behind a smokescreen? What's so bloody complicated? And when have Better Together ever called themselves 'project fear'?

Theres no smoke screen...the options have been outlined clearly...funny how its already been outlined to you already but you say its a "smoke screen"...there can't be very much smoke. It would be stupid to bow down to the lies and talk about plan b when clearly plan a is the option that benefits all of us. Theres no reason why the others couldn't be used either...if yes scotland had came out with one of the other options...better together would have fear mongered with it just the same.

Heres and article on it http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/politics/referendum-news/one-year-on-will-better-together-change-their-tactics.21402294

There is more if you want me to give you it...I seen the actual letter that was leaked to wings over scotland.
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
First of all, some of your comments make it sound like I blindly support SNP no matter that they do which is not the case so please stop.

Secondly, I am well aware that the rest of the UK are against a currency union and I personally don't think it is a good idea either. I think our own currency is what we need to be "independent" from the UK so I hope we don't have a currency union.

And I wasn't saying Westminster have said no to lots of things. What I was saying was that right now we shouldn't believe everything Westminster says because it is all about political tactics for support at the moment (on both sides)
Help me out here.

One of many things I find perplexing whenever I engage with anti-unionists is this. They often take issue with the fact that the majority of people in Scotland vote for left-wing parties, but end up with Conservatives in Westminster. When I then put it to them that Labour was in power since 1997 to 2010, they argue it was still not left-wing enough, one reason they argue is it had to appeal to the voters in south of England or something similar. Decent analysis.

Fine, although I find the splitting up of a 300 year old sovereign state just to have some more self autonomy the nuclear solution. I can see the frustration. Yet whenever I ask, so if you dislike the fact that 'Scotland votes left-wing' but ends up with Conservatives in UK politics. Why are you not equally opposed to this happening for EU politics? The response is usually ''it's Scotland's choice''. But that's frankly ignoring the crutch of their argument. The desire is to have self government that reflect the voting intention of Scotland. Which in the EU council, Council of Ministers and Parliament will often not be he case.

Now lets say Scotland does rejoin the EU and has to join the Schengen area, Eurozone and sign the fiscal compact treaty. Why would it be okay for Scotland to have its border, trade, commercial, agricultural, monetary and policy managed by Conservatives in Brussels?

Few times I get the response, that Scotland will be better represented. Yes Croatia or Ireland may have better representation than it would if it joined a larger state. But representation does not equal political power. The MEP's Scotland send to the EU parliament will not carry any sway over the 700 or so member Parliament, who will vote more or less alongside party political lines. It will be the big six (Germany, France, UK, Spain, Italy, Poland) who will act as swing states in elections. The SNP or Labour Prime Minister for Scotland may sit at the table on the EU council. But again it will have the political clout of Croatia or Ireland.

There will come a time when the UK Conservatives rejoin the European Peoples Party (Conservatives). Which means there will come a day when the European People Party is the governing party in the Parliament, Commission and Council. The Commission, Parliament or Council President could be a UK Conservative. You'll have in effect UK Tories coming to Scotland instructing them to change their budget or law.

That's not independence, that's just devolution 'max' within a de facto federated system.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Reformed2010
Help me out here.

One of many things I find perplexing whenever I engage with anti-unionists is this. They often take issue with the fact that the majority of people in Scotland vote for left-wing parties, but end up with Conservatives in Westminster. When I then put it to them that Labour was in power since 1997 to 2010, they argue it was still not left-wing enough, one reason they argue is it had to appeal to the voters in south of England or something similar. Decent analysis.

Fine, although I find the splitting up of a 300 year old sovereign state just to have some more self autonomy the nuclear solution. I can see the frustration. Yet whenever I ask, so if you dislike the fact that 'Scotland votes left-wing' but ends up with Conservatives in UK politics. Why are you not equally opposed to this happening for EU politics? The response is usually ''it's Scotland's choice''. But that's frankly ignoring the crutch of their argument. The desire is to have self government that reflect the voting intention of Scotland. Which in the EU council, Council of Ministers and Parliament will often not be he case.

Now lets say Scotland does rejoin the EU and has to join the Schengen area, Eurozone and sign the fiscal compact treaty. Why would it be okay for Scotland to have its border, trade, commercial, agricultural, monetary and policy managed by Conservatives in Brussels?

Few times I get the response, that Scotland will be better represented. Yes Croatia or Ireland may have better representation than it would if it joined a larger state. But representation does not equal political power. The MEP's Scotland send to the EU parliament will not carry any sway over the 700 or so member Parliament, who will vote more or less alongside party political lines. It will be the big six (Germany, France, UK, Spain, Italy, Poland) who will act as swing states in elections. The SNP or Labour Prime Minister for Scotland may sit at the table on the EU council. But again it will have the political clout of Croatia or Ireland.

There will come a time when the UK Conservatives rejoin the European Peoples Party (Conservatives). Which means there will come a day when the European People Party is the governing party in the Parliament, Commission and Council. The Commission, Parliament or Council President could be a UK Conservative. You'll have in effect UK Tories coming to Scotland instructing them to change their budget or law.

That's not independence, that's just devolution 'max' within a de facto federated system.

But this is the same situation for all member states of the EU is it not? Are you telling me you do not consider the UK an independent country?

And anyone who votes yes simply because they hate the tories is voting yes for the wrong reasons.
Original post by 1tartanarmy
Plan A was outlined as the best option for all parties...which had to be choosen to keep in line with the edinburgh agreement.

Plan A may be best for Scotland but its a bad deal for the UK, and lower transaction costs (which seem to be the only benefit to the UK) are a mere bagatelle.

The Edinburgh agreement is an agreement to negotiate in the best interests of the people of an independent Scotland and the UK. The British government will negotiate on behalf of the UK and attempt to get the best deal for them (which will obviously exclude a currency union as the risk to the UK of bailing out Scottish banks again would be catastrophic), while the Scottish government will negotiate on behalf of the Scots.

The idea that they will sit down together and try to thrash out some theoretical optimum solution that maximises the benefits for both, or minimises the joint risks is preposterous. Each will see to its own.

You iScots should understand before entering these negotiations that the British responses to various scenarios is likely to be:

We want a currency union No, I'm afraid that isn't available, as already said
We will use sterling outside a union That's fine, but that's as far as it goes
We won't take our share of the debt Then we will veto your entry into the EU
We want Trident out of Scotland Then pay the removal costs
You will buy naval ships in Scotland? No, we will buy British for ships
Original post by Good bloke

Whilst I agree with your sentiments generally, the arguments will not be quite so one-sided.

The Trident argument is just plain wrong. Stationing your navy in someone's else's country without their agreement is incompatible with sovereignty (and the Russian Navy was in the Crimea pursuant to Treaty). Removing the boats themselves and the military paraphernalia would have to be, if requested, part of Scottish independence. That gives Scotland a negotiating position:-

We will keep Trident if you...

Remember we have been here before in 1921.

Part of the deal for the establishment of the Irish Free State involved the retention of naval facilities, it involved the assumption of part of the national debt (which obligation was later reneged upon) and involved the unilateral adoption of a currency pegged to sterling. Arguably the position about common kingship and Commonwealth membership has parallels to the present EU question.

However the decisions made about the currency and the rejection of the debt beggered Ireland for decades.
Reply 7075
Original post by Reformed2010
Help me out here..............

No, its still clearly Independence!
Reply 7076
Original post by Good bloke
You iScots should understand before entering these negotiations that the British responses to various scenarios is likely to be:

Right up there with...... 'It may have missed you by' & 'I hate to tell you'

Hard to take you seriously when you're declaring likely responses based on your own cynically patronising outlook.
Original post by Boab
Right up there with...... 'It may have missed you by' & 'I hate to tell you'

Hard to take you seriously when you're declaring likely responses based on your own cynically patronising outlook.

I'm unclear why you are in such deep denial. I'm being neither patronising nor cynical, just realistic; what I have suggested is pretty obvious. We will be in a negotiation and each side would be trying to get the best deal for itself. Any other approach would be electoral death for those involved. Surely you must agree with that? If that weren't the case the SNP would never suggest not taking debt, would it? That sounds like a negotiation to me.

You can already see from the opinion polls quoted earlier what the English think of currency union, and that opinion ignores the obvious technical and economic arguments against it.

You surely wouldn't be naïve enough to expect that the UK will continue to buy naval ships from an expensive shipyard that has become foreign, at the expense of its own industry? If we want to go abroad we would be far better served going somewhere offering financial advantages, like Korea. But we won't; we won't buy naval ships abroad at all.
Original post by nulli tertius

The Trident argument is just plain wrong. Stationing your navy in someone's else's country without their agreement is incompatible with sovereignty (and the Russian Navy was in the Crimea pursuant to Treaty). Removing the boats themselves and the military paraphernalia would have to be, if requested, part of Scottish independence. That gives Scotland a negotiating position:-

We will keep Trident if you...

Oh, I agree with you on the principle of having a base abroad - no question about that - and we might keep other facilities in Scotland in exchange for something. But the SNP's stance has always been no nukes in Scotland, so I'm assuming the Trident argument is purely a question of time and cost and that they won't negotiate with such a matter of principle. So the boats and nuclear services will have to move, along with the jobs.
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
But this is the same situation for all member states of the EU is it not? Are you telling me you do not consider the UK an independent country?

And anyone who votes yes simply because they hate the tories is voting yes for the wrong reasons.
:confused:

I just spent how long explaining the lack of independence Scotland would have if it joined the EU, why would I not think the same for all the 28 states No, the UK is not independent. We are part of an economic and political union. We are part of a weak federation. EU law is superior to UK law. Tell me what 'independent' country has that scenario? they don't, only states that are part of a federation or subjected to colonialism has that.

I oppose UKIP and support the EU, but I agree with them on the reality that the 28 EU states are part of a (con)federation and has lost sovereignty. It's just the political class has run scared of the electorate and so use words and phrases like 'union' and 'pooling of sovereignty'. To soften the reality, which is 'federation' and 'surrendering of sovereignty'. Yes we have a greater degree of autonomy within the EU (con)federation, compared to the US federation. But we are more California than we are USA, especially the 18 Eurozone members and who by the way, are on their to forming a fiscal union too.

If Califonia left the USA to join the EU their laws will be inferior to EU law, just like it is in the USA. Their policies in trade, commercial, agriculture, environment, monetary and fiscal affairs would be decided by the EU. They may wish to curb migration from Europe, but Brussels would strike them down. They would have swapped one federation for another one, albeit with greater autonomy.

Since the SNP are pro EU, they are at best offering the people of Scotland greater autonomy. I respect their right to accept or reject that of course.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending