The Student Room Group

Edexcel C2 thread May 2014

Only two months. Discuss all C2 problems. Calculators allowed.

C2 resources found here
[To be added]

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hooray!
Reply 2
:smile:
Reply 3
Hey :smile: how far is everyone through c2? We have two more chapters to do and it doesn't seem too bad. Anyone have any advice on how to get 100ums and how much revision I should be doing daily. I seem to always get distracted, if anyone has a nice revision plan it would be really grateful if you could share it with me. Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by Super199
Hey :smile: how far is everyone through c2? We have two more chapters to do and it doesn't seem too bad. Anyone have any advice on how to get 100ums and how much revision I should be doing daily. I seem to always get distracted, if anyone has a nice revision plan it would be really grateful if you could share it with me. Thanks

Well we have 2 more chapters too. I usually spend 2-4 hours per week, which isn't quite a lot. However, I do generally enjoy maths. I'd recommend practising past papers. I started off with 50/75 and now to 74/75. Try delphis and Solomon papers! They are difficult but once you learn how to solve the questions. The exam board questions will seem easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I will be sitting this exam too
Reply 6
Hi, finished C2 a few months ago. All in all it's pretty straight forward. In regards to getting full marks, which is possible, I'd suggest doing Solomon papers over the easter and then doing the edexcel ones closer to the time.

In comparison C3 makes C2 seem a lot easier.
Reply 7
I would suggest using http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com, it has all the Edexcel maths past papers for every unit including Solomon papers.
Original post by bbadonde2
I would suggest using http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com, it has all the Edexcel maths past papers for every unit including Solomon papers.

Note the bit at the bottom of the Solomon papers about copyright, and where it says "these sheets may be copied for use solely by the purchaser's institute".

I've often wondered how copyright and the internet work. The authors probably would like to know too!
Have any of you tried june 13?
Reply 10
Original post by Ilovemaths96

Yes did it today and got 68/75, was very happy! Some bits were a bit tricky though and made me think
Reply 11
Original post by Ilovemaths96

I sat the paper on Friday and achieved 74/75, which was quite solid!
I'm aiming for 100 UMS, so I still need to improve as that probably 98.
(Keeping working until I'm there!)

Definitely one of the easier papers to say the least in many aspects, but attention to detail always gets me on a mark or more... :frown:

What about you? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Ché.
I sat the paper on Friday and achieved 74/75, which was quite solid!
I'm aiming for 100 UMS, so I still need to improve as that was probably 98.
(Keeping working until I'm there!
I'm not saying I won't be ecstatic but it's a resit for a higher A for me so that's why!)

Definitely one of the easier papers to say the least in many aspects, but attention to detail always gets me on a mark or more... :frown:

What about you? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello! I use exam solutions to do my revision. If you haven't heard of it its a website containing loads of maths video tutorials for the whole of edexcel and ocr maths. I go through all the videos for 1 topic each day and do all the exam questions for that topic after ive finished the revision for each c2 and s1 so overall i do 2 topics a day. I plan to finish c2 and s1 revision using this site by the end of the Easter holidays and just do exam papers until the exams for the next month, hope this helps! :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys :smile: does anyone have a list of all the types of graphs we have to know for this exam? That would be a great help, because i always loss easy marks on q's where they ask you to sketch a general graph and label where the graph crosses the x or y axis. For example sketch the graph y=3^x.

Thanks
Reply 15
Yes I have. This morning, why? Do you need any help?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by ~amethyst~
Hey guys :smile: does anyone have a list of all the types of graphs we have to know for this exam? That would be a great help, because i always loss easy marks on q's where they ask you to sketch a general graph and label where the graph crosses the x or y axis. For example sketch the graph y=3^x.

Thanks

From the top of my head you should be able to do:
Straight line graphs
Quadratic graphs
Cubic graphs
Reciprocal (positive and negative for each)
Exponential graphs and know where they all pass through --> (0,1)
Graph of say (1/2)^x (opposite direction basically).
Sine graph
Cos graph
Tan graph
And then it's just transformations to do with those I think that's all of them :smile:.
Reply 17
This may really stupid but what is the range on a tan graph? Like for sine and cos it's -1 to 1 normally unless it's been transformed. Also how do you find the solution to tan theta= -1 using a graph? I normally use a cast diagram, thanks :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Super199
This may really stupid but what is the range on a tan graph? Like for sine and cos it's -1 to 1 normally unless it's been transformed. Also how do you find the solution to tan theta= -1 using a graph? I normally use a cast diagram, thanks :smile:

Limits are undefined. Since its infinite as tan x is same as opposite/adjacent, which when you think, is the gradient. (Y/x)

I just use a cast diagram, never using a graph. Just plug your values back into the equation e.g sub x =22.5 for tan2x = 1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Sycopation
Limits are undefined. Since its infinite as tan x is same as opposite/adjacent, which when you think, is the gradient. (Y/x)

I just use a cast diagram, never using a graph. Just plug your values back into the equation e.g sub x =22.5 for tan2x = 1

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well doing theta= tan-1(-1) gives you -45. Draw the graphs and you'll be able to see all solutions within the given range

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending