The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hypothetically, would you rather do medicine in a city you really don't want to live in at a uni you're not interested in, or biomed with a masters at the uni you've wanted to go to for years in a city you know and love?

Any opinions would be appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by He2
Ooh that sounds fun! 😄 I'm taking a gap year after being rejected this year. I'm really unsure about gap years as I don't know of anyone who's reapplied before. Do you think it would be okay to get a retail job, but do a lot of regular volunteering instead of HCA posts as I am struggling to find vacancies?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I worked in a garden centre then for Royal Mail and now for direct line and just volunteered for a charity helping children and the elderly cause I couldn't get a healthcare job and I still got an offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Philippamalko
Hypothetically, would you rather do medicine in a city you really don't want to live in at a uni you're not interested in, or biomed with a masters at the uni you've wanted to go to for years in a city you know and love?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends what you want in life. Do you really want to be a doctor? If so, then go for medicine ...you may not like the uni or city but I'm sure you'll change your mind when you get there ...what uni is this out of interest?
Reply 4303
Original post by Richyp22
Im in same position and i picked liverpool as i'm about nightlight and medic socials which liverpool is notorious for. If you want a boring social life and solid teaching pick bristol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeahhh that's what i was thinking but everyone rates bristol nightlife though it's significantly more expensive. Aren't you worried about Liverpool new course...we haven't really been that informed yet?
Original post by Miel Purple
It depends what you want in life. Do you really want to be a doctor? If so, then go for medicine ...you may not like the uni or city but I'm sure you'll change your mind when you get there ...what uni is this out of interest?

Leicester, I didn't click with it at all any of the times that I went and I've known lots of people that went there and it's just not appealing to me. The only reason I applied was because a girl in my year at school got in the first time round with AAB when i got A*AAA and was rejected from all my choices so my head of year told me to and it was just a back up.

I guess I've just had my heart set on Newcastle for years now and it seems so much more appealing in comparison

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Toppy
I'm happy to try to answer questions by the way!

I'm going to Southampton in September after the gap year I'm taking this year.

I had 4 rejections last year and also managed to cock up my A Levels by getting A*AB (these are the most irritating grades to get. Over-performing in one and losing out on the other don't cancel each other out apart from at Keele.) So I was a reapplicant AND a resitter. I resat my B in the January session and put it up to an A - meeting my conditional offer.

So far during my gap year I've volunteered at a care home and I now work as a HCA at a local outpatients department.

Hi, i am considering applying to medicine first time this year, although im not certain i will be predicted AAA so what is the best plan? gap year? i dont really want them to take a look at my application and laugh in my face..
Leicester, I didn't click with it at all any of the times that I went and I've known lots of people that went there and it's just not appealing to me. The only reason I applied was because a girl in my year at school got in the first time round with AAB when i got A*AAA and was rejected from all my choices so my head of year told me to and it was just a back up.

I guess I've just had my heart set on Newcastle for years now and it seems so much more appealing in comparison

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, i am considering applying to medicine first time this year, although im not certain i will be predicted AAA so what is the best plan? gap year? i dont really want them to take a look at my application and laugh in my face..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I could have written that first paragraph about kings too!

I'm assuming you have one offer then....well it's up to you. You took a gap year to get into medicine, would be a shame to throw it away and do something different.

I would still go with Leicester. I've never been there, but I'm sure you'll make great friends there and click with some people. Then there's clubs and socs, loads of stuff to get involved.
Original post by Miel Purple
I could have written that first paragraph about kings too!

I'm assuming you have one offer then....well it's up to you. You took a gap year to get into medicine, would be a shame to throw it away and do something different.

I would still go with Leicester. I've never been there, but I'm sure you'll make great friends there and click with some people. Then there's clubs and socs, loads of stuff to get involved.

I didn't have a choice other than to take a gap year really, unfortunately I was rejected from my fifth choice and also from my sixth choice that I picked on UCAS extra last year. I guess with a total of nine rejections in the bag I should be rejoicing at the fact I got a medicine offer at all.

Thank you for your input its definitely something to think about
Original post by tanb
Yeahhh that's what i was thinking but everyone rates bristol nightlife though it's significantly more expensive. Aren't you worried about Liverpool new course...we haven't really been that informed yet?

You could do a lot worse than bristol tbf in terms of good nightlife and medic social calendar. I guess your concerns are valid, but these people are professionals so their not going to mess it up. But if your unsure where you want to go, i'd definitely wait for the new course review for Liverpool which will be out soon. Where are you swaying too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jess_Hills

I'm not really sure what the best option is if you're not going to be predicted AAA to be honest, though it would only be worth taking a gap year if you knew that you could actually achieve the grades

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hypothetically speaking, it would be foolish to turn down a Medicine offer in favour of a Biomed one based on city preference. If you actually want to be a doctor, that is.

Push yourself out of your comfort zone. You might like it.

Make sure you get predicted AAA or don't bother applying.

AAA is the most important thing you can do. A gap year will also make you a stronger applicant, they won't laugh in your face!
Reply 4313

Teachers can be persuaded you do everything in your power to be predicted aaa!! I personally wouls still apply you have absolutely nothing to loose the experience first time is invaluable if yiu do end up getting an offer then bonus but if not then you know what its all about next year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there:smile:

I'm very grateful to hold offers for medicine but I need some help...

UEA medicine 5 year course or Kings( KCL) foundation medicine 6 year course

I'm leaning towards UEA medical school but which one do I pick ?

The only positive thing I can think of Kings is the course structure-traditional (not pbl) and the hospitals are the best in the country,...

I don't like the look of PBL at UEA but I'm hoping I can adjust! Also I like UEA campus, student satisfaction is much higher, would rather go to London as I've never been there(parents keep saying kings is better coz of prestige :s-smilie:) and also I prefer a smaller year group than a large one, >300 at kings :s-smilie: and UEA have patient contact in first year.

i want to choose UEA but everyone (family, friends) are telling me to choose kings.

Don't want to make the wrong choice...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4315
Original post by Richyp22
You could do a lot worse than bristol tbf in terms of good nightlife and medic social calendar. I guess your concerns are valid, but these people are professionals so their not going to mess it up. But if your unsure where you want to go, i'd definitely wait for the new course review for Liverpool which will be out soon. Where are you swaying too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I'm swaying towards Bristol but I do need to look at Liverpools curriculum and student life to make an informed decision. But I'm working in a hospital at the moment and all the doctors usually recommend Bristol as it's got a good rep etc. also I need to hear back from cardiff. Have you already firmed Liverpool??
Reply 4316
Original post by tanb
I think I'm swaying towards Bristol but I do need to look at Liverpools curriculum and student life to make an informed decision. But I'm working in a hospital at the moment and all the doctors usually recommend Bristol as it's got a good rep etc. also I need to hear back from cardiff. Have you already firmed Liverpool??

I think liverpool do finals at end of fourth yr so fifth is basically as an f1 which means they make good junior doctors it could be something you want to look into (ultinately it doesnt matter everybody wilk graduate as conpetent junior doctors but its just sonething i thought of ti split the two :smile: )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tanb

All the doctors in my hospital told me too firm bristol over any of my other choices too. It's no doubt the teaching will be more comprehensive at bristol than Cardiff or Liverpool. But in the long run how good a doctor you'll be because of where you went may differ but the margins will be small. It depends what you want out of uni, if your sole priority is the medicine teaching pick bristol. And yes I've firmed Liverpool as i like the city, nightlife. Student life ect best there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tanb

I got an offer from Bristol but chose Sheffield. I would really advise you to visit them if you haven't already done so (or just go by the feeling you had when you went for the interview). I wasn't too fond of Bristol's atmosphere and the distance between the uni and accommodation. However, a lot of medical students and applicants alike absolutely love it. It really is down to the individual. A university's overall reputation is rather irrelevant.
Reply 4319
Original post by OnionRing
Hi there:smile:

I'm very grateful to hold offers for medicine but I need some help...

UEA medicine 5 year course or Kings( KCL) foundation medicine 6 year course

I'm leaning towards UEA medical school but which one do I pick ?

The only positive thing I can think of Kings is the course structure-traditional (not pbl) and the hospitals are the best in the country,...

I don't like the look of PBL at UEA but I'm hoping I can adjust! Also I like UEA campus, student satisfaction is much higher, would rather go outside London (parents keep saying kings is better coz of prestige :s-smilie:) and also I prefer a smaller year group than a large one, >300 at kings :s-smilie: and UEA have patient contact in first year.

i want to choose UEA but everyone (family, friends) are telling me to choose kings.

Don't want to make the wrong choice...

With all due respect to your folks and friends, this is your life not theirs. Go to the medical school that you'll be most happy at, as this is likely to improve your university experience and education received/performance as a medical student. Prestige means tiddly squat when you're applying for junior posts, it is all about the individual, how good you are in your year, an STJ exam, additional degrees and publications etc.

Don't base your decision on a university's reputation alone. For medicine, it's all about the course and what you prefer. After all you're going to be there for 5 years or more, personal satisfaction > others' opinions. UEA and Kings are both great, so go with your heart :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending