The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7080
Original post by Good bloke
I'm unclear why you are in such deep denial. I'm being neither patronising nor cynical, just realistic; what I have suggested is pretty obvious. We will be in a negotiation and each side would be trying to get the best deal for itself. Any other approach would be electoral death for those involved. Surely you must agree with that? If that weren't the case the SNP would never suggest not taking debt, would it? That sounds like a negotiation to me.

You can already see from the opinion polls quoted earlier what the English think of currency union, and that opinion ignores the obvious technical and economic arguments against it.

You surely wouldn't be naïve enough to expect that the UK will continue to buy naval ships from an expensive shipyard that has become foreign, at the expense of its own industry? If we want to go abroad we would be far better served going somewhere offering financial advantages, like Korea. But we won't; we won't buy naval ships abroad at all.

Very good!
Reply 7081
This shipbuilding argument is looked at 2 ways.

Better Together say we will lose those contracts. Maybe we would, though I'm not convinced, but if so, so be it.

A forward thinking nation might consider a ship-building industry based not entirely on one possible client - the military. Maybe we could be building other ships, you know, like other countries do?!
Original post by Boab
Very good!

Instead of refusing to confront a situation that you don't like and don't want to accept, and trying to hide behind personal attacks, why don't you read what I have said carefully and tell me why it won't happen like that? Perhaps you could use sensible logic and back up your arguments with evidence and explanation.
Original post by Boab

Better Together say we will lose those contracts. Maybe we would, though I'm not convinced, but if so, so be it.

Why do you think the UK might be willing to change a centuries-old policy and export jobs and important technologies it has striven to protect abroad?

A forward thinking nation might consider a ship-building industry based not entirely on one possible client - the military. Maybe we could be building other ships, you know, like other countries do?!

You think the shipbuilders of the Clyde (and those in England) didn't try that?
Reply 7084
Instead of refusing to confront a situation that you don't like and don't want to accept, and trying to hide behind personal attacks, why don't you read what I have said carefully and tell me why it won't happen like that? Perhaps you could use sensible logic and back up your arguments with evidence and explanation.

Personal attacks? No, don't think I did!
I probably can't be bothered wasting my time arguing my case with a continually patronising person, whose own evidence is simply conjecture!
Reply 7085
Why do you think the UK might be willing to change a centuries-old policy and export jobs and important technologies it has striven to protect abroad?

Because important technologies for the UK are already built abroad - another myth to claim otherwise. And BAE do the work have said time and again that the Clyde is the best place to build them. It'd cost far more in the long run to create the facilities and build them in England

You think the shipbuilders of the Clyde (and those in England) didn't try that?

So they are just hopeless compared to the likes of other European nations and nobody will employ them?! Odd.

Scotland will have it's own defence fleet to build too mind and those damn ferries we use quite a lot, maybe we could build them?
Original post by Boab
So they are just hopeless compared to the likes of other European nations and nobody will employ them?! Odd.

What European shipbuilders? You do realise that Japan, South Korea and China between them build about 92% of all ships, don't you? The UK built four (yes, four) ships over 100 tonnes in 2012.

So, not odd.
Reply 7087
What European shipbuilders? You do realise that Japan, South Korea and China between them build about 92% of all ships, don't you? The UK built four (yes, four) ships over 100 tonnes in 2012.

So, not odd.

You can't help yourself can you?

If you want to pretend European countries have no shipbuilding industry crack on. I see Norway has 35,000 people employed in the industry and 500,000 throughout Europe. How many in the UK?

As for 92%, I'd like to see the evidence for that figure. I have it down as nearer 70 :wink:
Original post by Boab

If you want to pretend European countries have no shipbuilding industry crack on. I see Norway has 35,000 people employed in the industry and 500,000 throughout Europe. How many in the UK?

As for 92%, I'd like to see the evidence for that figure. I have it down as nearer 70 :wink:

We were talking specifically about ships, not oil and gas rigs. There is a difference.

Try these figures: http://www.sajn.or.jp/e/statistics/Shipbuilding_Statistics_Mar2013e.pdf

As you can see, Europe's share is 1.3%.

You can't help yourself can you?

Another personal attack, eh, following cynical and patronising? I'm now incapable of controlling myself.
Reply 7089
We were talking specifically about ships, not oil and gas rigs. There is a difference.

Try these figures: http://www.sajn.or.jp/e/statistics/Shipbuilding_Statistics_Mar2013e.pdf

As you can see, Europe's share is 1.3%.

Another personal attack, eh, following cynical and patronising? I'm now incapable of controlling myself.

Good stats. We may as well not bother given that evidence, or maybe we should?

That 1.3% is still worth 30-40bn annually and excludes oil rigs etc as you rightly pointed out.

Anyway, can't be arsed arguing every detail of Yes v No, its a never ending cycle. Here's some polling data, enjoy......

Screen Shot 2014-03-26 at 11.13.35.png
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Boab
That 1.3% is still worth 30-40bn annually and excludes oil rigs etc as you rightly pointed out.

You aren't very good with numbers, are you? The values in that document were in yen, not sterling, (one of which is worth about a ha'penny).
Original post by Boab

So the plan is to now build ships when the current ship building sector on the global scale is under capacity. The world can build more ships than it needs already. Just look at swan hunter and harland and wolf.
Reply 7092
You aren't very good with numbers, are you? The values in that document were in yen, not sterling, (one of which is worth about a ha'penny).

I didn't get the figures from there ya condescending sod!

If the European shipbuilding industry is worth only 30-40 billion yen, then that would equate to £150-200 million for the whole sector going by your ha'penny maths!

Sounds reasonable!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7093
Original post by MatureStudent36
So the plan is to now build ships when the current ship building sector on the global scale is under capacity. The world can build more ships than it needs already. Just look at swan hunter and harland and wolf.

So we shouldn't try? Brilliant!
Original post by Boab
I didn't get the figures from there ya condescending sod!

Ha! And there was me thinking you didn't make personal attacks. :rolleyes:
Reply 7095
Ha! And there was me thinking you didn't make personal attacks. :rolleyes:

No remember before, I gave in!
Reply 7096
Hahahaha.

I just got a blue card for trolling. You couldn't make this up!!

I'll leave you guys to it, might pop back in early September, see how confident you all still are then.
Original post by Boab
Hahahaha.

I just got a blue card for trolling. You couldn't make this up!!

I'll leave you guys to it, might pop back in early September, see how confident you all still are then.

The censorship going on around the debate is shocking. SPT have been hit by hundreds of complaints for "banning" a wings over Scotland advertisement enticing people to the website. Yet pro union newspapers are allowed to entice people to go to their websites....you couldn't make this up.

Not content with blocking people from debating on the better together facebook page, I made one point backing it up with stats and was banned...ridiculous.

And now you have a blue card for trolling...making you less likely to fight your case...didn't think TSR would be like that...some power hungry unionist mod perhaps?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Boab
So we shouldn't try? Brilliant!

Not with the required capital investment required in retraining a workforce to build civilian type ships.

You are aware that its been tried several times before in the last few decades and failed miserably due to market forces. Read up on Swan Hunters last attempt at commercial ship building and that of Harland and Wolf. It requires significant bailouts from the taxpayer. Money that the SNP will ensure we don't have in the first place.

If it could've been done by now, it would've been done by now.
Original post by 1tartanarmy
The censorship going on around the debate is shocking. SPT have been hit by hundreds of complaints for "banning" a wings over Scotland advertisement enticing people to the website. Yet pro union newspapers are allowed to entice people to go to their websites....you couldn't make this up.

Not content with blocking people from debating on the better together facebook page, I made one point backing it up with stats and was banned...ridiculous.

And now you have a blue card for trolling...making you less likely to fight your case...didn't think TSR would be like that...some power hungry unionist mod perhaps?

Faux outrage. You've git to love it.

Nationalists like nothing better than feeling they're being victimised.

Latest

Trending

Trending