The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Lupton or Henry Price

I'm firming Leeds for mechanical engineering next year, and I need help deciding on accommodation!
For what I can tell so far:

HP: Pros - Very close to campus. The way from the housing to the engineering building is through the campus. I really liked how cosy it seemed. Views looked nice.
Cons - toilet is shared between 2 people and the toilet is practically inside both of your rooms, which I can only imagine being really awkward, especially as I have read the toilets have a really weak flush...

Lupton:
Pros - Toilet is between 5 people, which funnily enough sounds way less awkward. I've heard there are good block parties there. The surrounding green space sounds nice (although I havent been there). I can't tell from the pictures if the rooms are nice but they seem it. Heating is good.
Cons - Far away from the campus, I don't know if this affects the social aspect of it. From the engineering building to the housing is a road leading away from the campus, so I wouldn't really enter the campus that much.

Questions are: How do the social aspects compare? Do people from specific courses tend to apply to certain places (this one tends to be mostly medics etc)? Is there any advantages/disadvantages of either that I need to consider?

Any help would be really appreciated, thanks!!
Reply 1
Why would you want to share the toilet with more people?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Just because it means the toilet isn't practically in your bedroom
Reply 3
Hi! I lived in Lupton in my third year and I thought it was brilliant :smile:

Toilets weren't a problem - I don't know if you've looked round them but the toilet is in a lockable cubicle (like in a restaurants toilets) separate from the sinks (there are two) so people can brush their teeth while someones in the loo (once you're more comfortable with your flatmates this isn't a problem and saves time in the mornings!) but there's also a lock on the main bathroom door if you want more privacy. The showers are amazing, really powerful compared to en-suite ones (which i experienced in a friends flat - definitely not as good!). The showers in a cubicle as well which is completely sealed off so no water gets into the main bathroom area - also helpful in the morning so someone can have a shower while another brushing their teeth!

It's also really sociable and yes there are loads of block parties/socials. The grassy areas a brilliant in summer for sunbathing etc. The location doesn't affect the social aspect - it's in Headingley which has great pubs/shops/supermarket/cafes/eateries (2-5 mins walk away), on a main bus route into town/uni, not too far in a taxi into town for a night out. Its about a 25-30 min walk (depending on how fast you walk!) to uni, just down one long road and no hills.

The rooms have good desk space, wardrobe space is lacking (not sure if that'd be a problem for you) but enough draws/shelves. They're quite small but most of the rooms in all accommodations are! I'd say it was cosy :smile:

They try and place you with people who are on similiar or the same course who have the same/similiar workload as you. Lupton had a mix of people doing different courses, but a lot of people in our block were doing similar things.

Hope this helped, feel free to ask more questions!
Reply 4
Original post by vineyard13
Hi! I lived in Lupton in my third year and I thought it was brilliant :smile:

Toilets weren't a problem - I don't know if you've looked round them but the toilet is in a lockable cubicle (like in a restaurants toilets) separate from the sinks (there are two) so people can brush their teeth while someones in the loo (once you're more comfortable with your flatmates this isn't a problem and saves time in the mornings!) but there's also a lock on the main bathroom door if you want more privacy. The showers are amazing, really powerful compared to en-suite ones (which i experienced in a friends flat - definitely not as good!). The showers in a cubicle as well which is completely sealed off so no water gets into the main bathroom area - also helpful in the morning so someone can have a shower while another brushing their teeth!

It's also really sociable and yes there are loads of block parties/socials. The grassy areas a brilliant in summer for sunbathing etc. The location doesn't affect the social aspect - it's in Headingley which has great pubs/shops/supermarket/cafes/eateries (2-5 mins walk away), on a main bus route into town/uni, not too far in a taxi into town for a night out. Its about a 25-30 min walk (depending on how fast you walk!) to uni, just down one long road and no hills.

The rooms have good desk space, wardrobe space is lacking (not sure if that'd be a problem for you) but enough draws/shelves. They're quite small but most of the rooms in all accommodations are! I'd say it was cosy :smile:

They try and place you with people who are on similiar or the same course who have the same/similiar workload as you. Lupton had a mix of people doing different courses, but a lot of people in our block were doing similar things.

Hope this helped, feel free to ask more questions!

Hi, thank you so much! I read that Lupton was in a really good location for bars etc but did you ever find that you wouldn't go to parties in the other accommodations because of they are too far away? Also, are there any smoking areas? I know they don't have smoking rooms which is fine because I never smoke inside, but is there anywhere outside thats sheltered that you can smoke?

Also, if I do apply (which I probably will) is there anything that you think I should mention on my application? Like, I read that in Block P there are only two rooms so that doesn't sound fun so I will ask not to be put there
Reply 5
Hi, I never really went to parties in other accommodations but the only ones that are the furthest are on campus really, you could always just crash there? I don't smoke either so I don't know about particular smoking areas but I'm sure people just smoked anywhere outside and a lot of people just lent out of the kitchen window. If it's not changed since I was there, the fire alarms are heat rather than smoke detectors so it never set them off. It just depends if your flatmates mind.

I don't think I put anything extra on my application... If i remember correctly they usually put mature students or international students in block P, because they request to be in a quiet block. I wouldn't worry about it, you probably won't get put there but it wouldn't hurt to put it just in case!

Quick Reply

Latest