The Student Room Group

What's a reason to not be an organ donor?

:confused: Why do people have the option to opt-out?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Religious reasons, general squeamishness about it, or simply not liking the idea. I don't think people should be forced to donate, it's not really a donation then, is it?

Is it still opt-in or is it opt-out now?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
The UK is still opt in.

Religion or medical reasons (eg. Had chemo so ineligible) are the only ones I can think of. Personally I think people should have the right to opt out, but if you do you lose the right to have a donor organ yourself should you require one.
Superstition or medical reasons.

I haven't actually opted in ( I know I should) but I have told close family member like my mum that if I were to get killed in a car crash they can take all the organs they want. No all these young healthy lungs/liver etc rotting away in a ditch.
(edited 10 years ago)
I think by default you should be a donor, and should have to opt out If you want to. I mean, your lungs aren't a lot of use when you're dead.

I'm guessing it could be against some religions to donate though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Because the state doesn't own my body
Reality is not everyone cares about others.
Reply 7
It's incredibly selfish. One of my parents has had two kidney transplants. In fact without doners I wouldn't have been born at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I'm an organ donor but it took me a while to agree to be one.

I was put off that someone would be walking around with bits of my body in them, now I don't really care.

I think it's pretty selfish if you would gladly accept an organ if you needed one, but not be an organ donor yourself.
God gave it to you for a reason?

And the organ donor business is VERY corrupt. :closedeyes:
I still have mixed feelings about becoming a donor.
My dad was a donor, but he died at home unexpectedly and no one knew how to handle the donor-part because usually young people don't die unexpectedly. The fact the situation was handled with so little respect and the people in charge were so... stupid, basically, makes me a bit hesitant about becoming a donor. If I become one, I want things to be handled with care, respect and discretion. At the moment I just don't have faith in the way things are organised.

[this happened at home in the Netherlands btw, I'm not sure how it would've been in the UK]
There isn't really any good rational reason, however, an opt-out donor system would create issues of jurisprudence because mostly the law assumes you own your own body and your next of kin own it after you die. This is a good thing because it prevents industries growing up around the unsavoury use of dead bodies for filling out bread or making cosmetics like in Victorian times.
Reply 12
Original post by Reeeeyah
I'm an organ donor but it took me a while to agree to be one.

I was put off that someone would be walking around with bits of my body in them, now I don't really care.

I think it's pretty selfish if you would gladly accept an organ if you needed one, but not be an organ donor yourself.

I guess that would be the ideal solution. If you opt out. You don't get one if you need one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I was originally really horrified by organ donation, I didn't want to think of death and my mum always said what if you're not really dead but now after speaking to my cousin she made me see that when I'm dead I won't know I'm dead and something good could come out of my death. On a whim, I signed up and ticked everything except my heart and I don't regret it. I don't know why but I still feel a little uncomfortable about my heart being taken but I'll get round to ticking the heart donation.
Reply 14
Original post by AstroNandos
I think by default you are a donor, and should have to opt out If you want to. I mean, your lungs aren't a lot of use when you're dead.

Completely agree.
Reply 15
Original post by yo radical one
Because the state doesn't own my body

I don't see what donating organs has got to do with the state owning your body.
I agree with organ donation and am down for to be a donor myself, but my mother's argument against it is, if you were dying and healthcare professionals knew you were a donor they might make less effort to save your life. Which is obviously a load of rubbish but that's her reason!
Whoever ends up with my liver is probably taking two steps backwards, but if someone wants it good look to them.
Original post by iJess
I was originally really horrified by organ donation, I didn't want to think of death and my mum always said what if you're not really dead but now after speaking to my cousin she made me see that when I'm dead I won't know I'm dead and something good could come out of my death. On a whim, I signed up and ticked everything except my heart and I don't regret it. I don't know why but I still feel a little uncomfortable about my heart being taken but I'll get round to ticking the heart donation.

Surely your brain trumps the heart?
Reply 19
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Surely your brain trumps the heart?

Your wording makes me unsure of what you mean?

Quick Reply

Latest