The Student Room Group

The Everton FC Thread

Scroll to see replies

While I was taking the piss out of you guys earlier on in the season. I hope you make 4th.

It would be the ultimate troll if you made 4th.

Don't think you will though, but I hope you do.
Original post by jam277
While I was taking the piss out of you guys earlier on in the season. I hope you make 4th.

It would be the ultimate troll if you made 4th.

Don't think you will though, but I hope you do.

The best thing is that they would celebrate 4th only to be knocked out at the CL qualifier stage :colondollar:
Original post by Zerforax
The best thing is that they would celebrate 4th only to be knocked out at the CL qualifier stage :colondollar:

Yeah, unless they get somebody like Schalke who are on their level, or somebody like Marseille/Lille.
It would be wonderful to get fourth. Especially after Martinez said when he got the job he would get us there. I love that man, thank god United took Moyes.

think this is my first ever visit to the Everton thread, but I honestly would quite like having Everton in the CL. Nothing beats the atmosphere of playing one of your rivals in the CL knockout rounds (although I doubt Everton would get that far). As long as Everton stay behind Liverpool, I'd actually like them to do well.
Original post by jam277
Yeah, unless they get somebody like Schalke who are on their level, or somebody like Marseille/Lille.

Mmm but the CL qualifiers are a lot more difficult these days imo.
Mmm but the CL qualifiers are a lot more difficult these days imo.

Yeah that's what I'm saying.

Everton could get a team like Schalke, who you'd say are around their level and beatable by a team like Everton.
Original post by jam277
Yeah that's what I'm saying.

Everton could get a team like Schalke, who you'd say are around their level and beatable by a team like Everton.

Sorry I didn't read your post properly :redface:

Arsenal are on the cusp of spending big and missing out on CL for once would hit that effort imo.

I don't think Everton would spend the potential CL money until the last week of August when/if they confirmed they have qualified for the group stages and also they would be conservative since buying a player may cost you X but will add Y to your wage bill but the CL money could be a one off.

Be interesting to see how Everton cope with no Lukaku next season. We saw the impact it had on WBA this year and Barkley seems to work well with Lukaku?
Reply 268
Original post by CameronHayward
think this is my first ever visit to the Everton thread, but I honestly would quite like having Everton in the CL. Nothing beats the atmosphere of playing one of your rivals in the CL knockout rounds (although I doubt Everton would get that far). As long as Everton stay behind Liverpool, I'd actually like them to do well.

My favourite thing in football would be liverpool winning every trophy and the league, every year and Everton finishing runner up in all of those competitions.

Makes the city the leading footballing city in England, brings revenue into the city and most of all, would wind the Everton fans up no end!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 269
Drawing Villerreal in the qualifiers was a bit of a pisstake considering they were one of the best sides in Europe around that time, think they reached the semi's that year, as well as the injustice in that fixture.
Reply 270
Sorry I didn't read your post properly :redface:

Arsenal are on the cusp of spending big and missing out on CL for once would hit that effort imo.

I don't think Everton would spend the potential CL money until the last week of August when/if they confirmed they have qualified for the group stages and also they would be conservative since buying a player may cost you X but will add Y to your wage bill but the CL money could be a one off.

Be interesting to see how Everton cope with no Lukaku next season. We saw the impact it had on WBA this year and Barkley seems to work well with Lukaku?

Rumours are that Martinez will have money to spend regardless, but it being Kenwright I'm not that optimistic regarding available funds.
Original post by Stylo92
Rumours are that Martinez will have money to spend regardless, but it being Kenwright I'm not that optimistic regarding available funds.

All the same I hope hes careful, don't want to end up like Portsmouth or w/e.
Have a bad feeling about Fulham for some reason 0_o
Right thats out job done, now just need Liverpool to do theirs.
I honestly think Everton can finish in the top 4 and what a story that would be! If the beat Arsenal next week, then it all in their hands.
Reply 275
Bring on Arsenal!
I think Arsenal have had their slump (not sure what else you call DDLWL - 5 points from a possible 15 in the last 5 games).

After the Everton game, Arsenal have easy fixtures (West Ham, Hull, Newcastle, West Brom and Norwich - most of whom have little left to play for too since they mostly look safe from relegation) so Arsenal's form will pick up again.

Everton on the other hand have to play Man City, Man Utd, Southampton (away) and a couple of relegation battlers. The form of 5 wins in a row won't last.

Unless Everton beat Arsenal next weekend, I don't see them catching up/overtaking for 4th.
Reply 277
I think Arsenal have had their slump (not sure what else you call DDLWL - 5 points from a possible 15 in the last 5 games).

After the Everton game, Arsenal have easy fixtures (West Ham, Hull, Newcastle, West Brom and Norwich - most of whom have little left to play for too since they mostly look safe from relegation) so Arsenal's form will pick up again.

Everton on the other hand have to play Man City, Man Utd, Southampton (away) and a couple of relegation battlers. The form of 5 wins in a row won't last.

Unless Everton beat Arsenal next weekend, I don't see them catching up/overtaking for 4th.

Only side that is safe from relegation is Newcastle. Swansea had little to play for, by your logic, too, but still got a 2-2 draw at the emirates.
Original post by Stylo92
Only side that is safe from relegation is Newcastle. Swansea had little to play for, by your logic, too, but still got a 2-2 draw at the emirates.

Gifted a draw by Flamani's own goal.

I'm not saying players stop playing but the teams lower down the league in the relegation fight seem to be more determined to be difficult to beat towards the end of the season.
Reply 279
Gifted a draw by Flamani's own goal.

I'm not saying players stop playing but the teams lower down the league in the relegation fight seem to be more determined to be difficult to beat towards the end of the season.

Forced by Swansea pressure.

Aye, probably is the case. But as I said, only Newcastle are safe from the teams you mentioned.

Quick Reply

Latest