m0hd_J
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey all,
I want to do an economics degree in the future. For a levels, am definitely taking maths and economics and probably politics too as it merges with economics really well. I'm looking to do a degree in economics where the course looks more at world issues rather than just looking at graphs.
My question is, along with maths, economics and politics, what other a levels do you think I should take? Should I replace any subjects?
I can choose a maximum of five however I'd prefer to do four but if you come up with a combination of subjects that suits five a levels, please do reply!
Also, is chemistry a levels hard? And what about physics?
Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
moggington
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by m0hd_J)
Hey all,
I want to do an economics degree in the future. For a levels, am definitely taking maths and economics and probably politics too as it merges with economics really well. I'm looking to do a degree in economics where the course looks more at world issues rather than just looking at graphs.
My question is, along with maths, economics and politics, what other a levels do you think I should take? Should I replace any subjects?
I can choose a maximum of five however I'd prefer to do four but if you come up with a combination of subjects that suits five a levels, please do reply!
Also, is chemistry a levels hard? And what about physics?
Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths and Economics are ideal, some of the BSc courses may ask for Further Mathematics too, so if your school offers this and you're at a high enough level in the subject to study it, definitely consider it. A few of the higher and most respected universities would be impressed with this being one of your subjects, even if you only studied it for AS.

Consider other facilitating subjects like English, any of the sciences, History, Geography or a language as your other option. Avoid Business Studies at all costs, not least because it's valued as a 'soft' A Level but also because many universities will not accept Business Studies AND Economics as there is a great deal of overlap between the two courses.

Chemistry's considered to be one of the hardest A Levels, having done an AS in it, my class either did ridiculously well at it or (the vast majority of us) found it incredibly difficult. Physics is slightly different in that if you're good at Maths, you'll be alright.
m0hd_J
Rep:
?
(Original post by moggington)
Maths and Economics are ideal, some of the BSc courses may ask for Further Mathematics too, so if your school offers this and you're at a high enough level in the subject to study it, definitely consider it. A few of the higher and most respected universities would be impressed with this being one of your subjects, even if you only studied it for AS.

Consider other facilitating subjects like English, any of the sciences, History, Geography or a language as your other option. Avoid Business Studies at all costs, not least because it's valued as a 'soft' A Level but also because many universities will not accept Business Studies AND Economics as there is a great deal of overlap between the two courses.

Chemistry's considered to be one of the hardest A Levels, having done an AS in it, my class either did ridiculously well at it or (the vast majority of us) found it incredibly difficult. Physics is slightly different in that if you're good at Maths, you'll be alright.
Do you think a combination of economics, maths, chemistry, politics is a good combo?
Also, what fifth a level subjects do you think I should add if I'm given the opportunity to do a fifth subject?
One more question, what books do you recommend I read for economics to show extra interest in the subject?
Thanks a lot for your advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jkizer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That's a really good combination indeed.

If you want a push, you can take further maths but it's more than possible to study at a high end place without

Posted from TSR Mobile
moggington
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by m0hd_J)
Do you think a combination of economics, maths, chemistry, politics is a good combo?
Also, what fifth a level subjects do you think I should add if I'm given the opportunity to do a fifth subject?
One more question, what books do you recommend I read for economics to show extra interest in the subject?
Thanks a lot for your advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Definitely, although only do Chemistry if you're good at it because getting the balance between science and non-science subjects right can be really difficult, I did Economics and Politics (as well as Geography) and ended up struggling with Chemistry because it required a different type of thinking.

Fifth subject wise, only do one if you really think it'll benefit you. Otherwise you could just be adding unnecessary stress, it'd be better to achieve AAAA than like, AABBC or something.

Extra interest wise, I've heard The Inside Job (film) is really good. I'm not an Economics applicant (but I almost applied for it as a joint honours), I'm most interested in the macroeconomics side of things so I read books such as:

- The Bottom Billion (Paul Collier)
- How Do We Fix This Mess? (Robert Peston)
- An Uncertain Glory: India and Its Contradictions (Amartya Sen)
- The Undercover Economist (Tim Hartford)
- Globalisation and Its Discontents (Joseph Stiglitz)
m0hd_J
Rep:
?
Hey all,
I want to do an economics degree in the future. For a levels, I am definitely taking maths and economics and probably history too as it merges with economics really well and I feel I'm good at it.
My question is, along with maths, economics and history what other a levels do you think I should take? Should I replace any subjects?
I am considering taking chemistry, however, if I choose in the end not to, what other subject do you guys think will work for an economics degree?
Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (84)
26.01%
England (109)
33.75%
Belgium (27)
8.36%
Germany (38)
11.76%
Spain (6)
1.86%