The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Somewhere out there, an Arab mafia is making millions betting on Watford to concede in injury time each week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Urgh that was pathetic. When Mark Warburton loses, he really loses. Glad I didn't book a last minute train to Rotherham though. I very nearly did early this afternoon.
Original post by Jangrafess
Urgh that was pathetic. When Mark Warburton loses, he really loses. Glad I didn't book a last minute train to Rotherham though. I very nearly did early this afternoon.

Suppose playing a team that defends like clowns on holiday wasn't the best preparation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Also, if there are any AFC Wimbledon fans browsing, your fans did your club an enormous credit tonight. At 35 minutes of their game at Northampton, all the Dons fans held up signs saying 'Fix Football' and started singing 'back to the Ricoh, they want to go home'.

Proof that others in the football community give a ****. Top bunch, the lot of them.
Reply 644
Original post by Midlander
Also, if there are any AFC Wimbledon fans browsing, your fans did your club an enormous credit tonight. At 35 minutes of their game at Northampton, all the Dons fans held up signs saying 'Fix Football' and started singing 'back to the Ricoh, they want to go home'.

Proof that others in the football community give a ****. Top bunch, the lot of them.

Ironic that when clubs come together to help each other like this, the common enemy is the FA/FL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CraigWM
Ironic that when clubs come together to help each other like this, the common enemy is the FA/FL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The FL's motto is 'Real football, real fans', which is frankly, 'real bull****'. They allowed my club to be turned into a pathetic shell of its former self by condoning this groundshare and have the audacity to claim to represent fans' interests.

The FA last week released a statement in which they deferred all responsibility to the FL and refused to get involved. Both parties stood by when they helped get rid of Wimbledon, and they're doing it again now. Tomorrow we face Stevenage in front of another crowd estimated to be less than 1,500.

As the AFC fans rightly asked, who is going to fix English football?
Reply 646
The FL's motto is 'Real football, real fans', which is frankly, 'real bull****'. They allowed my club to be turned into a pathetic shell of its former self by condoning this groundshare and have the audacity to claim to represent fans' interests.

The FA last week released a statement in which they deferred all responsibility to the FL and refused to get involved. Both parties stood by when they helped get rid of Wimbledon, and they're doing it again now. Tomorrow we face Stevenage in front of another crowd estimated to be less than 1,500.

As the AFC fans rightly asked, who is going to fix English football?

Unfortunately, the FA's top priority currently is attempting to get a good England team going, which ironically would do at least a bit better if every club functioned properly. Attempting to win the WC will never happen for the FA, they bark on about how good the next generation is, an example is Luke Shaw, he will properly be good in 4 years, yes, but your Neymars, Ronaldos and Messis are still going to tear him a new one in 4 years. The World Cup won't be challengable for 20 years at the least, so it's about time they went back and got every club, like Coventry, able to work correctly. England will never be great at football again if clubs lower down the leagues don't have the money/resources to create the youngsters. United, Liverpool, Chelsea etc won't create the entire England squad I'm afraid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CraigWM
Unfortunately, the FA's top priority currently is attempting to get a good England team going, which ironically would do at least a bit better if every club functioned properly. Attempting to win the WC will never happen for the FA, they bark on about how good the next generation is, an example is Luke Shaw, he will properly be good in 4 years, yes, but your Neymars, Ronaldos and Messis are still going to tear him a new one in 4 years. The World Cup won't be challengable for 20 years at the least, so it's about time they went back and got every club, like Coventry, able to work correctly. England will never be great at football again if clubs lower down the leagues don't have the money/resources to create the youngsters. United, Liverpool, Chelsea etc won't create the entire England squad I'm afraid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The national team is an utter joke though. The very best players see playing for England as an inconvenience and the glory hunters attached to their clubs tend to agree. This leaves people like me supporting a **** domestic team and a half arsed national side.

But the matter is more fundamental than this. The FA is supposed to cater for the interests of the English game at all levels. It has basically no remit in the top flight which has got a mind of its own, but in the Football League it still carries some weight. They allowed one club to be permanently relocated and now with another club suffering horrendously at the hands of a hedge fund, they again do nothing.

They are a disgrace to a nation which once held a proud place at football's top table.
Fallen below Wednesday now...

1.Leicester37257570:3582
2.Burnley382213364:3179
3.QPR38209947:3269
4.Derby381991066:4566
5.Wigan371881150:3662
6.Reading3816111159:4559
7.Nottingham381415955:4757
8.Ipswich3815121150:4357
9.Brighton3715111139:3156
10.Bournemouth3814101449:5352
11.Blackburn3713121247:4851
12.Watford3712131256:4649
13.Sheffield Wed3812121447:4348
14.Leeds371381651:5647
15.Middlesbrough3810161247:4346
16.Huddersfield381291749:5345
17.Bolton3810141449:5444
18.Blackpool3810111732:5341
19.Birmingham3810101847:5540
20.Doncaster3810101833:5640
21.Charlton358111626:4435
22.Yeovil387112036:5832
23.Barnsley377111934:6432
24.Millwall387112035:6732
Original post by PAFCStan
Has Zola ever been successful as a manager? Good player and a decent chap but doesn't really seem up to management from his previous experience

He didn't do badly in his first season at West Ham from what I remember. They even managed to finish above Manchester City who'd started to throw money around that season.

Can't believe how low Portsmouth are in League Two as well. 5 years ago they were the FA Cup holders and playing AC Milan in Europe, now they could be relegated to non league football. Shocking what's gone on at that football club.
I guess from now on i've got lay off Leon 'Best' after he's popped a few in the net, still a poor option after Wickham and Fryatt though.

QFA

Fancy snatching Rhys McCabe off Portsmouth via loan for us? You fixed Maguire for us.
Original post by nixonsjellybeans

Fancy snatching Rhys McCabe off Portsmouth via loan for us? You fixed Maguire for us.

We have signed more players on loan this season than go to our games at Sixfields, I don't see what harm another random guy will do.
Original post by sr90
He didn't do badly in his first season at West Ham from what I remember. They even managed to finish above Manchester City who'd started to throw money around that season.

Can't believe how low Portsmouth are in League Two as well. 5 years ago they were the FA Cup holders and playing AC Milan in Europe, now they could be relegated to non league football. Shocking what's gone on at that football club.

It's what happens when the footballing authorities in a country turn a total blind eye to how their clubs are run.
Also Leeds looking in big trouble with the potential for unpaid wages this week. That Italian fraudster looked like the last chance saloon as the Leeds fan on here was saying.
Also Leeds looking in big trouble with the potential for unpaid wages this week. That Italian fraudster looked like the last chance saloon as the Leeds fan on here was saying.

It's certainly not looking good. Their is a dispute about who should pay the wage bill, current owners GFH insist Cellino should pay the wage bill for March, whilst Cellino is reluctant to pay for a club he doesn't actually own. It's unlikely that Leeds will be able to pay their staff or creditors by the end of the week. If we go into administration, we'll be docked 10 points and placed right in the relegation battle.

If only I was a multi-millionaire...
I don't understand why anyone supports England.
Reply 656
For some reason, Watford have snapped up Albert Riera, ex-Liverpool winger, until the end of the year. Can only presume its to try him out for next year as our season's all but over now.
I honestly don't get football fans sometimes. Seeing a lot of criticism for Chris Wood on our forums for not being a good target man despite being 6'3" tall. Never mind that he's a tidy finisher, it seems that they see height and immediately expect nothing less than winning headers and being someone to hoof it to. No wonder England are so poor if the nation is still stuck in the "tall people have to win headers, not be finishers" mindset. I swear no other country looks at taller strikers as just being points to hoof at.
Gary Madine loaned back to Carlisle. Makes sense really as he wasn't going to get much game time here and really needs to prove something if he wants to come back next season.
Bwaahahahahahaahaha http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11688/9234623/championship-stuart-pearce-turns-down-nottingham-forest-job

The Forest circus gets better and better. Makes you wonder how bad Fawaz actually is if a forest legend who's been out of work for 2 years isn't interested in returning.

Quick Reply

Latest