The Student Room Group

Anyone else worried about the demise of the Royal Family?

If the Royal line met its demise or they just decided to sell out England to the new money riff raff, Indian elite and Russian oligarchs. Do you think rural England would ever recover? They do a lot of good work for our countryside especially their local patch in north Wilts/south Glos; would it not be a huge shame if the aristocratic landowners just abandoned the National Trust and English Heritage and instead sold out lock stock and barrel to the vulgarians? These old boy networks have done a lot to put Britain on the map internationally and give it a unique 'global brand' and pull in huge numbers of tourists and media worldwide.

But I came back from a trip from delightful historic Malmesbury and Tetbury today and suddenly had this horrific vision of it becoming an enormous sprawling housing estate with lots of little asian kids running around all over the place. Worryingly a large proportion of anti-whites/working class heroes seem to actually want this to happen. Burford will become just another Bracknell; Salisbury a mini Slough.

Maintaining our heritage is gonna become a real challenge over the coming years. That woeful olympic display a few years back with David Beckham and the mixed race little Londoners is a harbinger of things to come.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No the people deserve strong leaders not these pathetic excuses.
Not worried. They are far to valuable to the country as a money making tool to get rid of in the foreseeable future.
Reply 3
the royal family are a bunch of decrepit insects
the concept of monarchy is long past rotten
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mojojojo101
Not worried. They are far to valuable to the country as a money making tool to get rid of in the foreseeable future.

I find it funny when people carry on believing that myth like there is any evidence supporting it. There are plenty of websites claiming that 9/11 was an inside job and that the holocaust never happened. If I followed your logic i would just believe these claims without question.
Original post by crayz
I find it funny when people carry on believing that myth like there is any evidence supporting it. There are plenty of websites claiming that 9/11 was an inside job and that the holocaust never happened. If I followed your logic i would just believe these claims without question.

Your going to have to explain what the hell that has to do with my post please...
Reply 6
Your going to have to explain what the hell that has to do with my post please...

because the claim that the royal family makes Britain money isn't true and there isn't any evidence to support it. It is propaganda made up and released by monarchists.
Reply 7
Original post by crayz
because the claim that the royal family makes Britain money isn't true and there isn't any evidence to support it. It is propaganda made up and released by monarchists.

I actually read a study that was done on the question of whether the royal family make money for the country - apparently the monarchy costs something like 50% more than they get in from "tourist revenue" if you can attribute the sale of that tat to them
Reply 8
Original post by Monkey.Man
I actually read a study that was done on the question of whether the royal family make money for the country - apparently the monarchy costs something like 50% more than they get in from "tourist revenue" if you can attribute the sale of that tat to them

How would you even measure that though? It is simply impossible.
No. Most of their power and influence are metaphorical or technical.
Reply 10
Original post by crayz

hang on a second, I'll try and find the article
Reply 11
Original post by crayz

"Tourism

Those who claim that "the royal family is a bargain for Britain" are often quick to mention the word 'tourism' as a counter to these figures. The public accounts committee were equally keen to share this part of the story too.
However their figures only include visitor numbers, so we took the £18 value of a reduced price ticket at buckingham palace and, (very generously) assumed that every visitor paid that price.
That would mean that the family generated £9.3m in tourism in 2012. Others have claimed that the mere brand power that the royal family brings has generated untold riches for the country in tourism. For the present purposes though, if it's not countable, it doesn't count.
You can see the full data extracted from the annual report here and share your view on the family's finances below"
http://www.theguardian.com/news/reality-check/2014/jan/28/how-much-do-the-royal-family-spend-and-are-they-down-to-their-last-million

£40 million - £10 million = a left over cost of £30 million.
Reply 12
hang on a second, I'll try and find the article

Good luck i guarantee there is a major assumption/flaw in it. I bet it randomly jumps to the conclusion that because some people go to Buckingham palace that therefore all British tourism is a result of the monarchy. Then it links all money spent by tourists to the monarchy.
Reply 13
Original post by crayz
Good luck i guarantee there is a major assumption/flaw in it. I bet it randomly jumps to the conclusion that because some people go to Buckingham palace that therefore all British tourism is a result of the monarchy. Then it links all money spent by tourists to the monarchy.

have you actually read what I had said? I am on your own side here
Reply 14
"Tourism

Those who claim that "the royal family is a bargain for Britain" are often quick to mention the word 'tourism' as a counter to these figures. The public accounts committee were equally keen to share this part of the story too.
However their figures only include visitor numbers, so we took the £18 value of a reduced price ticket at buckingham palace and, (very generously) assumed that every visitor paid that price.
That would mean that the family generated £9.3m in tourism in 2012. Others have claimed that the mere brand power that the royal family brings has generated untold riches for the country in tourism. For the present purposes though, if it's not countable, it doesn't count.
You can see the full data extracted from the annual report here and share your view on the family's finances below"
http://www.theguardian.com/news/reality-check/2014/jan/28/how-much-do-the-royal-family-spend-and-are-they-down-to-their-last-million

£40 million - £10 million = a left over cost of £30 million.

Yep as I predicted they can't prove anything just assumptions after assumptions. If a president lived in Buckingham Palace i'm willing to guess that the amount of visitors it gets would be the same. These monarchists are just hilariously stupid.
Original post by crayz

The claim is disputed as the nature of the Crown Estate is extremely odd. By some accounts the cost to governments is easily paid for by the proceeds from the Estate.

The tourism argument is a red herring, its completely unprovable either way, what is provable though is that the Crown Estate made profits of £240 + in the year upto March 2013 all money that goes straight back to the treasury.
Reply 16
The claim is disputed as the nature of the Crown Estate is extremely odd. By some accounts the cost to governments is easily paid for by the proceeds from the Estate.

The tourism argument is a red herring, its completely unprovable either way, what is provable though is that the Crown Estate made profits of £240 + in the year upto March 2013 all money that goes straight back to the treasury.

The crown estates are property of the people not the royal family. They stole it from the people in the Norman invasion and we should take it back. If someone steals from you and you take it back does that make you a thief?
As mojo said: we gave them a public income, they gave us the proceeds from the Crown Estate. The latter far outweigh the former.
Original post by crayz
The crown estates are property of the people not the royal family. They stole it from the people in the Norman invasion and we should take it back. If someone steals from you and you take it back does that make you a thief?

Well that's a desperate argument if I ever heard one.

If the British people get the Crown Estate back are they also going to hand back all the stuff they have stolen over the last few hundred years??
Reply 19
Well that's a desperate argument if I ever heard one.

If the British people get the Crown Estate back are they also going to hand back all the stuff they have stolen over the last few hundred years??

No because the Britain has the power to defend itself from any would be debtors whereas the royal family can't defend itself from us.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending