The Student Room Group

Fine Art Applicants and Universities 2014!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Original post by HelveticaBold
I think that would have shown you were enthusiastic. I tend to do the same thing so I hope that's how it comes across. :smile: I think if you're work fits with what they're looking for, that will be a big plus. Is there anywhere online I can see your work? I'd love to have a look, but completely understand if you're uncomfortable with sharing.
Last year they interviewed 450 people, and at the open day they said they interviewed around 40% every year.

Lets hope so, I think it made me look completely mad! I've got a bad feeling but maybe that's just my pessimistic nature!

Sure I'll message you my flickr account!
Reply 401
Original post by AndyHoccom
Yeah I wouldn't worry with your performance during the interview as you only did what everyone else does haha. In my interview I couldn't stop talking and at some point I basically told them my entire life story :biggrin:. Don't let it dishearten you as I'd imagine they would've been impressed otherwise you wouldn't have been offered an interview.

Haha, it's difficult to know when to stop when you only have twenty minutes and a whole lot to say. We'll see! Thank you though! If we both get in I'll owe you a pint :smile: Good luck
Reply 402
Original post by Zoeah
Woke up to an almost unconditional from csm, so happy!

However, due to stressing all week about CSM and the Slade, I've almost completely forgotten about Goldsmiths, really haven't prepared for Friday :s

Yeah my csm offer just said complete the course and my foundation finished on Tuesday so I guess It's done haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 403
Original post by kkkkkks
Just got an email from the track....hoped that is from the slade...
though found out is a rejection from Newcastle :frown:
the wait is so annoying

Sorry to hear about Newcastle, did you have an interview there? I sent off my CD portfolio weeks ago and they still haven't contacted me whether they want to interview me or not, it's my last one and the wait is so annoying!
Reply 404
Original post by sr211
thank you so much for replying- can i be a bit annoying and ask u for more info about living in london... because i've never lived there and i'm currently living in a small city.

What sort of areas in london would u advice students not to live in (as in unsafe places, or too far from UCL...etc)?

do u know any cheap places (preferably close to the slade- or at least something that's not ridiculously far away)? is it worth contacting agencies?

also in terms of the 600ish double bedrooms- is that part of a shared house?

and do u think it's worth renting privately from the first year (instead of relying on UCL's accommodation-what's the max amount u'd pay for UCL accommodation?)

i'm so sorry for being a doushebag and asking loads of questions- but i don' really have anyone else to ask! :colondollar:

Don't worry at all! I'd like to be able to help.

In terms of university halls, my friend moved into halls in Clerkenwell last September (just as central as Euston, which is where UCL is based) and pays £850 a month for a small room in a small flat. Me and my boyfriend pay £1050 a month for a flat! Which is split level, has a garden, high ceilings etc. So it IS really overpriced, she regrets it now, but I guess it depends how much you want to live in halls, if you really want to , then I guess it's worth it, but just bear in mind that they are so expensive, and the only people that live in Central London are really rich - so for me, it doesn't seem the best place for a student to live.

When I said £600 for a room, I meant in a shared house or flat. You could find a one bed flat for around £1000 a month or a studio flat for £800 a month - but I wouldn't advice that as a student because it is expensive.

In terms of UCLs location - it's central, so it doesn't limit you to living in a certain area, I'd say it's more North East, so I wouldn't advice living south or west. I'd be looking at North/East London, just further out of central.

Needless to say, the further out you go, (Generally, there are exceptions) the cheaper areas are, the poorer areas are quite run down.

If I was you, I'd be looking for private accommodation in Bethnal Green, Victoria Park, Hackney, Clapton, Bow, Hackney Wick, Stoke Newington, Islington, Finsbury Park, Manor House, Dalston. These are all North or East. Islington is the closest to Euston, and maybe the nicest, but the most expensive, so it may be out of your price range. All the other areas I would consider living, apart from Bow, as I don't really like it, but a lot of young people do live in that area. Dalston is probably the most buzzy, in terms of night live and student life, and that's close to UCL too. Hackney Wick looks really run down but is a hub of creative people/artists mostly living in converted warehouses, if you're into that kind of living it's great. But all areas are a bus ride from the uni or 20-40 minutes cycle ride. (would definitely recommend getting a push bike - cycling in london is really fun and quick to get around and will save you loads of money)

Agencies tend to rent properties, rather than rooms in a house, also they charge a lot of fees for not very much. I'd check out spareroom.com and gumtree.com and look for a room in an already let shared house, that way you can meet the house mates (they will probably be specific on what type of person they are looking for, to suit their house), and if you end up not liking where you're living you can always find someone to replace your room and move somewhere else.

All the areas mentioned above are quite different, so do some research and look at pictures etc, because some may or may not be right for you. But they're all relatively close to UCL, have a local community and a lot of young people live there!

But if it's too daunting and you'd rather live in halls I can understand the perks, and it's just for a year, for 2nd year you'd probably be looking to rent a house or flat with mates from uni anyway

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask any more questions
Reply 405
Original post by Ellie_96
Sorry to hear about Newcastle, did you have an interview there? I sent off my CD portfolio weeks ago and they still haven't contacted me whether they want to interview me or not, it's my last one and the wait is so annoying!

no I didn't have an interview there. They didn't give me an interview after my cd portfolio has been sent. I only heard about the unsuccessful from the track...and unfortunately the interview last this Friday
Reply 406
HOLY CRAP I JUST GOT AN OFFER FROM THE SLADE FOR THE BA COURSE!!!!!! All I have to do is pass art foundation, bloody hell I have never been so relieved and happy in my entire life
Reply 407
Original post by Zoeah
HOLY CRAP I JUST GOT AN OFFER FROM THE SLADE FOR THE BA COURSE!!!!!! All I have to do is pass art foundation, bloody hell I have never been so relieved and happy in my entire life

oh my god, congratulation!!!
Original post by Zoeah

OH WOW! Congratulations!!!!!! :biggrin: That's such great news. Are you still going to Goldsmiths tomorrow or was Slade your first choice?
How did they let you know?
Reply 409
Original post by omifeeney
Don't worry at all! I'd like to be able to help.

In terms of university halls, my friend moved into halls in Clerkenwell last September (just as central as Euston, which is where UCL is based) and pays £850 a month for a small room in a small flat. Me and my boyfriend pay £1050 a month for a flat! Which is split level, has a garden, high ceilings etc. So it IS really overpriced, she regrets it now, but I guess it depends how much you want to live in halls, if you really want to , then I guess it's worth it, but just bear in mind that they are so expensive, and the only people that live in Central London are really rich - so for me, it doesn't seem the best place for a student to live.

When I said £600 for a room, I meant in a shared house or flat. You could find a one bed flat for around £1000 a month or a studio flat for £800 a month - but I wouldn't advice that as a student because it is expensive.

In terms of UCLs location - it's central, so it doesn't limit you to living in a certain area, I'd say it's more North East, so I wouldn't advice living south or west. I'd be looking at North/East London, just further out of central.

Needless to say, the further out you go, (Generally, there are exceptions) the cheaper areas are, the poorer areas are quite run down.

If I was you, I'd be looking for private accommodation in Bethnal Green, Victoria Park, Hackney, Clapton, Bow, Hackney Wick, Stoke Newington, Islington, Finsbury Park, Manor House, Dalston. These are all North or East. Islington is the closest to Euston, and maybe the nicest, but the most expensive, so it may be out of your price range. All the other areas I would consider living, apart from Bow, as I don't really like it, but a lot of young people do live in that area. Dalston is probably the most buzzy, in terms of night live and student life, and that's close to UCL too. Hackney Wick looks really run down but is a hub of creative people/artists mostly living in converted warehouses, if you're into that kind of living it's great. But all areas are a bus ride from the uni or 20-40 minutes cycle ride. (would definitely recommend getting a push bike - cycling in london is really fun and quick to get around and will save you loads of money)

Agencies tend to rent properties, rather than rooms in a house, also they charge a lot of fees for not very much. I'd check out spareroom.com and gumtree.com and look for a room in an already let shared house, that way you can meet the house mates (they will probably be specific on what type of person they are looking for, to suit their house), and if you end up not liking where you're living you can always find someone to replace your room and move somewhere else.

All the areas mentioned above are quite different, so do some research and look at pictures etc, because some may or may not be right for you. But they're all relatively close to UCL, have a local community and a lot of young people live there!

But if it's too daunting and you'd rather live in halls I can understand the perks, and it's just for a year, for 2nd year you'd probably be looking to rent a house or flat with mates from uni anyway

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask any more questions

i honestly can't express how grateful i am! thank u so so so so much.... let's hope that i get the offer and this info will come to use! :smile: xxx
Reply 410
bloody ucas track is not letting me in (under maintenance :frown:(((( ..... oh my god, congrats for those who got the offer, i hope i do tooooo!!!!!
Reply 411
I'm ill in bed at the moment, so it really depends whether I feel better tomorrow. But in all honesty I have wanted to go to the slade since I could remember, and it's really the perfect course for me, so yeah it's my first choice 100%! I found out through UCAS at about 4pm, thought I was imagining it because I was pretty delirious with my fever! I'm sure you'll find out soon enough. Maybe they were doing BA students before BFA??
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 412
Original post by Zoeah
I'm ill in bed at the moment, so it really depends whether I feel better tomorrow. But in all honesty I have wanted to go to the slade since I could remember, and it's really the perfect course for me, so yeah it's my first choice 100%! I found out through UCAS at about 4pm, thought I was imagining it because I was pretty delirious with my fever! I'm sure you'll find out soon enough. Maybe they were doing BA students before BFA??

Ucas track is down now
Original post by Zoeah

Hope you feel better soon. At least you got some good news to get you through your illness. :smile:
Thanks for letting me know. UCAS is down for maintenance at the moment so maybe I have a response just waiting to get through. :crossedf:
Congratulations again! You definitely deserve your place.
Reply 414
Original post by Zoeah

Awhh congratulations :smile:
Reply 415
Original post by sr211
i honestly can't express how grateful i am! thank u so so so so much.... let's hope that i get the offer and this info will come to use! :smile: xxx

No worries! Let me know if there's anything else you want to know, it can be daunting moving to a new city and not knowing anywhere! Good luck with your application to the Slade
Reply 416
Original post by Zoeah

Congratulations! Thats amazing news! :biggrin:
Reply 417
i received an offer from the slade guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so happpppppppy.... i honestly can't believe it :smile:
if u'r still unable to log onto ucas.track, try ucl's website...

goood luck for everyone :smile: xx
Original post by sr211
i received an offer from the slade guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so happpppppppy.... i honestly can't believe it :smile:

That's amazing! Congratulations. Did you look on the UCL portal?
Reply 419
Original post by sr211

CONGRATULATION!!!! Are you doing BA or BFA?

Quick Reply

Latest