The Student Room Group

Thinking of graduating with just the Ordinary Degree then doing a postgrad Masters

Would this be worthwhile? I'm starting Uni pretty late so I don't want to be there for the next 5 years, so doing both isn't an option. Rather than of doing the extra honour year, I was thinking of going for a Masters in a related subject. Is this a good idea? Any advice? Cheers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Creag
Would this be worthwhile? I'm starting Uni pretty late so I don't want to be there for the next 5 years, so doing both isn't an option. Rather than of doing the extra honour year, I was thinking of going for a Masters in a related subject. Is this a good idea? Any advice? Cheers

Are you studying in Scotland? Otherwise this talk of an 'Ordinary Degree' doesn't make sense.
Reply 2
No it's not. Most postgrad courses will require a 2.1 and most jobs won't even consider you if you have an Ordinary degree. You'd be much better off doing the full degree and getting a good grade.
Reply 3
Original post by Ronove
Are you studying in Scotland? Otherwise this talk of an 'Ordinary Degree' doesn't make sense.

yes
Reply 4
Original post by Shelly_x
No it's not. Most postgrad courses will require a 2.1 and most jobs won't even consider you if you have an Ordinary degree. You'd be much better off doing the full degree and getting a good grade.

I've enquired about the postgrad and I could get in with an ordinary and the Msc would still take me 12-16 months;

Students possessing an Ordinary degree can apply to enrol on the Postgraduate Diploma and, on successful completion, transfer to the MSc programme.*To obtain the MSc, students will usually take 9 months to gain the PgDip and then normally an additional 3 months of study to gain the MSc, from the date of commencement of the project.

Masters ranks higher than Honours as far as SCQF Levels go... if there's a chance to get a masters degree in a second subject in a year why not take advantage of the opportunity?

Your second point about jobs is kinda where I'm split... who's more employable... say, someone with just BA Hons Business (Level 10)
or someone with BA Business (Level 9) and MSc Information Technology. (Level 11)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Creag
I've enquired about the postgrad and I could get in with an ordinary and the Msc would still take me 12-16 months;

Students possessing an Ordinary degree can apply to enrol on the Postgraduate Diploma and, on successful completion, transfer to the MSc programme.*To obtain the MSc, students will usually take 9 months to gain the PgDip and then normally an additional 3 months of study to gain the MSc, from the date of commencement of the project.

Masters ranks higher than Honours as far as SCQF Levels go... if there's a chance to get a masters degree in a second subject in a year why not take advantage of the opportunity?

Your second point about jobs is kinda where I'm split... who's more employable... say, someone with just BA Hons Business (Level 10)
or someone with BA Business (Level 9) and MSc Information Technology. (Level 11)

A Scottish Ordinary Degree is very different to an English Ordinary Degree so you will get a lot of confusing answers to your question. Wiki it. It sounded like you would be fine to apply to postgrad with a Scottish Ordinary Degree from what I read on Wikipedia - it's a 3-year BA/BSc like most English BA Hons/BSc Hons.
Reply 6
Original post by Creag

What universities accepted the Ordinary degree for Masters programme
I'd be really careful here. A three year degree in scotland, after which you *may* get a BSc/BA, would be equivalent to only two years in england and wouldn't get you a job or postgrad. A 4 year BSc Hons will get you into postgrad / job (equivalent to 3 years in england). You say 5 years though...are you talking about the integrated masters in science degrees? Apart from medicine, those are the only 5 year degrees.
Reply 8
Original post by Creag

Hi Creag,

I was just wondering which university allows entry to the masters program after an ordinary degree? (would like to know for personal reasons :smile: )
Original post by Katy100
Hi Creag,

I was just wondering which university allows entry to the masters program after an ordinary degree? (would like to know for personal reasons :smile: )

Very few, if any, unless your Ordinary degree is from a Scottish University and you are applying to a Scottish University.
Whilst I dont know your circumstances etc, just a couple of things to bear in mind:

1) Any University in the future might want to know why you didn't complete the four years. They might assume you weren't up to it.

2) A Masters will not make up for a dodgy result/performance at u/grad level.

3) Outside Science/Tech subjects, a Masters degree rarely makes any difference to your job prospects. Employers want experience, not endless bits of paper. A Masters degree is not a 'silver bullet' that will get you to the front of the queue.

4) Masters degrees are expensive.
Reply 11
You won't get into any postgrad without honours these days because of competition. The only situation which is an exception are degrees where you don't necessarily graduate with honours (medicine, nursing, et cetera)
Original post by Ronove
A Scottish Ordinary Degree is very different to an English Ordinary Degree so you will get a lot of confusing answers to your question. Wiki it. It sounded like you would be fine to apply to postgrad with a Scottish Ordinary Degree from what I read on Wikipedia - it's a 3-year BA/BSc like most English BA Hons/BSc Hons.

The problem is that if he applies for English unis,, none of them will care to research into the difference between the two, given that the good one's will have an influx of applicants knocking on their door.

OP - be weary because the one's that will take you, will most likely be using you so that they can get a cash flow.

That does not mean you will be employable afterwards, so think long and hard on whether this is the right thing to do.

For the record too, I went to a Scottish uni so know how the classification system works. Anything less than a 2.1 honors degree is a waste of time.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Creag
yes

Hi Creag,

Have you decided to do a postgrad, and if yes at what uni?

I am in a similar situation as I'm 25 I would like to skip the 4th year if its somehow possible.

Best,

Marian
Reply 14
I got into Loughborough University to study MSc in condense matter physics. I only got an BEng without honours....But i did do the final year project. I also had two years experience testing materials.
Reply 15
I have a ordinary degree from a Scottish uni and I'm currently doing a masters. I do have a few years work experience as well though. I honestly don't think future employers are going to think any less of you if you don't have honours and can show them you have a masters as well. This is the better qualification after all.
Original post by Griffin79
I have a ordinary degree from a Scottish uni and I'm currently doing a masters. I do have a few years work experience as well though. I honestly don't think future employers are going to think any less of you if you don't have honours and can show them you have a masters as well. This is the better qualification after all.

Yeah but you are competing with people who have a 4 year degree, are able and have a masters. What makes you any better then them?

When employers are in a position to be picky, your chances of being employed are slimmer.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by fat_hobbit
Yeah but you are competing with people who have a 4 year degree, are able and have a masters. What makes you any better then them?

When employers are in a position to be picky, your chances of being employed are slimmer.

The point is though that employers, at least in my experience, are not going to look at your academic qualifications at this level of detail unless you are applying specifically for a graduate position. Without trying to dash anyone's hopes, you are far far more likely to end up taking a non graduate position given how scarce and competitive they are. During an application or interview, a prospective employer will note a degree and a masters. Whether the degree was honours or not is very unlikely to even factor into their decision about whether to interview or employ you. What will count more than anything else is your experience and how you perform in the interview. Believe me in the real world these little details in qualifications don't matter nearly as much as the academic world would have us believe.
Original post by Griffin79
The point is though that employers, at least in my experience, are not going to look at your academic qualifications at this level of detail unless you are applying specifically for a graduate position. Without trying to dash anyone's hopes, you are far far more likely to end up taking a non graduate position given how scarce and competitive they are. During an application or interview, a prospective employer will note a degree and a masters. Whether the degree was honours or not is very unlikely to even factor into their decision about whether to interview or employ you. What will count more than anything else is your experience and how you perform in the interview. Believe me in the real world these little details in qualifications don't matter nearly as much as the academic world would have us believe.

A few things to bare in mind:

1) a non graduate position typically does not require a degree.
2) You risk becoming over qualified for these jobs.
3) University is expensive.

So it makes the whole point of going to university to get a degree, pointless.

You also seem to think that you may get an interview, your application could get binned by HR due to a high level of candidates. They are looking for a reason to disqualify you.
so experience is more important that a Masters?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending