Scroll to see replies

When did accommodation open?

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 1261
Firmed for actuarial science :smile:
I have my interview this afternoon..... EEEK!!
Original post by cah846

Good luck! ^_^
Original post by Sabrina09
When did accommodation open?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Applications opened in December

Original post by cah846

Good luck! Let us know how it goes :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1265
Firmed Anatomical Sciences with an Industrial/Professional year. Yey

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
Applications opened in December

Good luck! Let us know how it goes :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by ibrahimz95
Good luck! ^_^

Thanks guys... It was horrible :frown: from the minute I said I was home educated (and have no GCSEs or Alevels, and that I was mostly self taught from the age of about 10), her hands and voice started shaking like she was angry :frown: I did pretty well in the maths test, but when she looked at it she just went "That's very disappointing", so I'm not going to Manchester even if they offer me a place...
Original post by cah846
Thanks guys... It was horrible :frown: from the minute I said I was home educated (and have no GCSEs or Alevels, and that I was mostly self taught from the age of about 10), her hands and voice started shaking like she was angry :frown: I did pretty well in the maths test, but when she looked at it she just went "That's very disappointing", so I'm not going to Manchester even if they offer me a place...

Damn...
I hope everything works out though.

If you dont mind me asking why didnt you give A-Levels? :redface: I thought that was pretty much a pre-requisite for admission
Original post by cah846

Wow I'm so sorry you've had that experience. She was unprofessional, and she shouldn't have treated you like that. If you'd been invited to interview then clearly someone else thought you had potential, so she should have been trying to find out if you're fundamentally intelligent, and whether or not you have the necessary subject knowledge, not getting angry about your educational past.

Seriously, send an email to the relevant department so that someone else doesn't have that same experience

:jumphug:

Do you have offers from other universities? If you end up not getting offers from anywhere decent, it may be best if you do an Access to HE course at college, just so that you can prove you have the knowledge and intelligence, as well as developing the skills that you're realistically going to need, like exam technique. They're normally aimed at mature students who are returning to education, but it's probably going to be the best way for you to get into uni. I'm afraid that you're very unusual, and as all universities are judged on their drop out rates and the degree classifications people achieve, they are probably going to be less willing to take a chance on an unusual candidate, so an Access to HE course is going to make you look like much less of a risk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1269
Original post by ItsJustMe17
Hey is it law with criminology or just law?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just law btw:smile:
Original post by ibrahimz95
Damn...
I hope everything works out though.

If you dont mind me asking why didnt you give A-Levels? :redface: I thought that was pretty much a pre-requisite for admission

By the time I was old enough to enrol for A levels, I was already doing foundation degree material with the Open University, so I didn't see the point in paying money I didn't have to, to do stuff I'd already covered for free...

Wow I'm so sorry you've had that experience. She was unprofessional, and she shouldn't have treated you like that. If you'd been invited to interview then clearly someone else thought you had potential, so she should have been trying to find out if you're fundamentally intelligent, and whether or not you have the necessary subject knowledge, not getting angry about your educational past.

Seriously, send an email to the relevant department so that someone else doesn't have that same experience

:jumphug:

Do you have offers from other universities? If you end up not getting offers from anywhere decent, it may be best if you do an Access to HE course at college, just so that you can prove you have the knowledge and intelligence, as well as developing the skills that you're realistically going to need, like exam technique. They're normally aimed at mature students who are returning to education, but it's probably going to be the best way for you to get into uni. I'm afraid that you're very unusual, and as all universities are judged on their drop out rates and the degree classifications people achieve, they are probably going to be less willing to take a chance on an unusual candidate, so an Access to HE course is going to make you look like much less of a risk.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah I have offers from Aberystwyth and two Russell group uni's - most uni's prefer home educated students actually, because they're more used to being self-motivated than the majority of school and college leavers (no offence, I know plenty of college students who are self-motivated) :smile: there was a guy a few years ago who had never taken an exam in his life, and graduated from Oxford with a first class Masters! And yet a friend of mine who also has no formal qualifications was offered a place at Cambridge, but Liverpool John Moores threatened to shred his application...
Original post by cah846
yeah I have offers from Aberystwyth and two Russell group uni's - most uni's prefer home educated students actually, because they're more used to being self-motivated than the majority of school and college leavers (no offence, I know plenty of college students who are self-motivated) :smile: there was a guy a few years ago who had never taken an exam in his life, and graduated from Oxford with a first class Masters! And yet a friend of mine who also has no formal qualifications was offered a place at Cambridge, but Liverpool John Moores threatened to shred his application...

To be fair it's one of those things that I can see going either way - you're probably more self motivated, but with no exams they've nothing to compare you with other students, no evidence of the level at which you're currently achieving.

However, as you've been doing OU modules, there is at least some proof of your academic ability and achievement, even if it isn't of the traditional variety!

I'm glad you have offers from other unis though - well done! :five:
To be fair it's one of those things that I can see going either way - you're probably more self motivated, but with no exams they've nothing to compare you with other students, no evidence of the level at which you're currently achieving.

However, as you've been doing OU modules, there is at least some proof of your academic ability and achievement, even if it isn't of the traditional variety!

I'm glad you have offers from other unis though - well done! :five:

Well I've done one exam now, triple science with the OU last summer (which I walked out of an hour early and nearly got an A...) :eek: and I have two more exams with them this summer...

And yay thank you! :smile: :five:
Original post by cah846
Well I've done one exam now, triple science with the OU last summer (which I walked out of an hour early and nearly got an A...) :eek: and I have two more exams with them this summer...

And yay thank you! :smile: :five:

You have done well then :biggrin: Good luck for your exams in the summer :awesome:
Original post by cah846
By the time I was old enough to enrol for A levels, I was already doing foundation degree material with the Open University, so I didn't see the point in paying money I didn't have to, to do stuff I'd already covered for free...

Thats makes sense. Im quite frankly surprised at how unprofessional the interviewer was being, anyways good luck to you at your other choices. Rusell group unis are some of the best in the country, glad to see they recognized your skills :smile:

Cheers!
Reply 1275
Firming Manchester for medicine! What accommodation has everyone gone for? :smile:
Original post by joeymr
Firming Manchester for medicine! What accommodation has everyone gone for? :smile:

Congrats man, I got rejected from all my 4 choices for medicine which included and ended up choosing my fifth engineering choice over taking a gap year.
Seriously congrats :P Ive applied for Sheavyn House, vicotria hall and Richmond park as self catered and some peace was more important to me than anything else lol
Original post by joeymr

Richmond park,oak house & sheavyn house :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1278
Original post by joeymr

Firmng Manchester for law. Going for opal, weston hall and Victoria hall:smile:
Reply 1279
Original post by joeymr

Went for Opal gardens, victorial hall and canterbury court

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending