The Student Room Group

Fine Art Applicants and Universities 2014!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Is the track not going to work during weekends? :/ waiting is so annoying
Original post by sr211
i'll keep my fingers crossed for u :smile:

Thanks. :smile:

Original post by kkkkkks
Is the track not going to work during weekends? :/ waiting is so annoying

I think track will work but it's unlikely that universities will make decisions/send results to UCAS over the weekend. :/
Original post by HelveticaBold
I've been doing the same thing. I found someone for the BA on twitter. I'm really hoping something comes though tonight/tomorrow morning, or I'll have to wait all weekend.
I feel like my work is quite traditional (at least my paintings are), and I've heard a lot about Goldsmiths being anti-traditional, but this didn't come across in my interview. :/

It appears we all had very different goldsmiths interview experiences haha. On my joint honours they were incredibly confrontational which did knock me back a bit but its nice to see their questions aren't generic, it appears they're all catered to the work. Now just for the wait.

Yeah at the open day someone asked the tutor if they prefer conceptual artists or traditional and the tutor basically said if you're traditional you shouldn't apply. Seen as I was a traditional painter at the time I felt rather awkward.

Good luck though and congratulations to people who've received offers from places!
Original post by AndyHoccom
It appears we all had very different goldsmiths interview experiences haha. On my joint honours they were incredibly confrontational which did knock me back a bit but its nice to see their questions aren't generic, it appears they're all catered to the work. Now just for the wait.

Yeah at the open day someone asked the tutor if they prefer conceptual artists or traditional and the tutor basically said if you're traditional you shouldn't apply. Seen as I was a traditional painter at the time I felt rather awkward.

Good luck though and congratulations to people who've received offers from places!

Yeah, at Kingston it seemed very much like a stock interview so I'm glad Goldsmiths like to mix it up a bit.
I see my work as both conceptual and traditional. The concept and ideas are definitely the most important part for me, but it still involves a lot of painting and 'realism'.
But then there are graduates such as this one: http://art.gold.ac.uk/exhibitions2013/bafa/pages/keun_park/01.html (from last year)
Good luck. :smile: What sort of work do you produce now?
I know someone with an offer for the BFA so I don't think it's anything to do with that (r.e. Slade) :smile:
Original post by stitchwitch
I know someone with an offer for the BFA so I don't think it's anything to do with that (r.e. Slade) :smile:

I agree. I think they've sent the definite offers/rejects and now they're deciding between the rest of us.
Does anyone know people who have been rejected? So far I haven't heard of any.
Reply 446
Original post by stitchwitch

oh my god, I'm very worried now :/
Yeah, at Kingston it seemed very much like a stock interview so I'm glad Goldsmiths like to mix it up a bit.
I see my work as both conceptual and traditional. The concept and ideas are definitely the most important part for me, but it still involves a lot of painting and 'realism'.
But then there are graduates such as this one: http://art.gold.ac.uk/exhibitions2013/bafa/pages/keun_park/01.html (from last year)

Yeah and the interview is much more personal, you feel less like you're part of a factory line haha. Yeah I agree my work is heavily based on its concept and contextual awareness. I used to do a lot of realism but now my work is mainly installation based but I still appreciate photorealistic painting as it requires great effort 😁
Reply 448
I agree. I think they've sent the definite offers/rejects and now they're deciding between the rest of us.
Does anyone know people who have been rejected? So far I haven't heard of any.

Oh dear... well I really hope that its the case! You certainly deserve a place having seen your work and from the sound of how your interview went! Haven't heard about any rejections as of yet.
Original post by Zoeah
Oh dear... well I really hope that its the case! You certainly deserve a place having seen your work and from the sound of how your interview went! Haven't heard about any rejections as of yet.

Thank you. :smile:
I'm a bit worried that so many offers seem to have gone out already, but hopefully it's just a coincidence and there are plenty of places left.
Reply 450
Original post by AndyHoccom

Hi. I had my joint honours goldsmiths interview! Bit of a weird one. Didn't really get to talk about the things I wanted to. Don't think I was quite what they were looking for. They didn't talk about art history at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arty
Hi. I had my joint honours goldsmiths interview! Bit of a weird one. Didn't really get to talk about the things I wanted to. Don't think I was quite what they were looking for. They didn't talk about art history at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Goldsmiths really does seem to be a mixed bag. It's hard to tell what they thought, but I got the same impression you did (although I was for single honers). Good luck.
Reply 452
Original post by Zoeah
Good luck everyone, must be very very frustrating! Everyone I know who has heard back applied for the BA course so don't worry too much if you applied for the BFA. Maybe they did it in several batches and the BFA ones somehow haven't processed yet due to UCAS being down. Fingers crossed!

Had the most gruelling, intense interview for goldsmiths today, was a very interesting experience though, especially given how ill I was.

Do you mind me asking how/why it was gruelling? I have my interview for goldsmiths on Tuesday , so it would be helpful to have some insight!
Reply 453

I think the same about my work , I would say all my work is contemporary and abstract. I'm very into performance which is conceptual. But then a lot of my practice involves traditional elements such as print and using plaster etc , but then I also use a lot of hair and make up in my work so it's very mixed!
But when I've looked at their past degree shows there are figurative painters too.
It seems silly to say all traditional art is outdated or that they're not interested as nearly every contemporary artist is influenced by traditional artists in some way, even if it's through another contemporary artist who was influenced by some traditional artists.
But I guess if they don't feel my work will fit in there and reject me then I won't feel too bad, as I want the best course for me, so maybe my other choices would be more suited
Original post by omifeeney
I think the same about my work , I would say all my work is contemporary and abstract. I'm very into performance which is conceptual. But then a lot of my practice involves traditional elements such as print and using plaster etc , but then I also use a lot of hair and make up in my work so it's very mixed!
But when I've looked at their past degree shows there are figurative painters too.
It seems silly to say all traditional art is outdated or that they're not interested as nearly every contemporary artist is influenced by traditional artists in some way, even if it's through another contemporary artist who was influenced by some traditional artists.
But I guess if they don't feel my work will fit in there and reject me then I won't feel too bad, as I want the best course for me, so maybe my other choices would be more suited

Yes, it's very hard to define traditional and conceptual as they are not mutually exclusive. I assume by traditional they meant landscape/portrait painting, with little/no deeper thinking behind it, rather than simply using traditional materials like paint or plaster.
We'll just have to wait and see I guess. Good luck with your interview on Tuesday. :smile:
Reply 455
Do you mind me asking how/why it was gruelling? I have my interview for goldsmiths on Tuesday , so it would be helpful to have some insight!

It was highly critical, and they asked a lot of questions that required me knowing my work and how i think inside out. They did seem pretty interested, but I felt very exposed. It was difficult to give straight answers to some of their questions, eg- 'don't you find latex as a material, a bit cliched?' and I ended up defending a lot of my pieces somewhat. I got the sense that they weren't impressed by decisions in my work I couldn't quite justify- eg, 'Why did you use that colour here? What is the point?' By the end it almost felt as if there had been an argument! It was very intense. It might not have been a bad thing... However, an interviewee who had theirs with the other tutors said it went pretty smoothly.
Original post by Zoeah
It was highly critical, and they asked a lot of questions that required me knowing my work and how i think inside out. They did seem pretty interested, but I felt very exposed. It was difficult to give straight answers to some of their questions, eg- 'don't you find latex as a material, a bit cliched?' and I ended up defending a lot of my pieces somewhat. I got the sense that they weren't impressed by decisions in my work I couldn't quite justify- eg, 'Why did you use that colour here? What is the point?' By the end it almost felt as if there had been an argument! It was very intense. It might not have been a bad thing... However, an interviewee who had theirs with the other tutors said it went pretty smoothly.

I think I prefer the silence I got over that, haha. I use latex in my work and I'm glad they didn't mention it because I do find latex a bit cliched, but I just don't care. I don't think they'd have liked that answer very much.
I think you still have a very good chance of getting in because your work really stands out, and it sounds like you coped with their interview process very well. :smile:
Reply 457
Original post by Zoeah

Thanks for the info. I've heard they do that sometimes to see how you stand up for your work and how confident you are. Still can't be very pleasant to be interrogated!
Reply 458
Yes, it's very hard to define traditional and conceptual as they are not mutually exclusive. I assume by traditional they meant landscape/portrait painting, with little/no deeper thinking behind it, rather than simply using traditional materials like paint or plaster.
We'll just have to wait and see I guess. Good luck with your interview on Tuesday. :smile:

Hopefully! There is a context and ideas behind all of my work but I am quite clear that I want normal people to be able to appreciate/understand it, not just people in the art world. So I'm worried they might think my work is too obvious, but I guess you just need to stay true to yourself!
Thank you! I just hope I'm suited to the course as it was originally my first choice, I loved the studios and the look of the facilities; but I've doubted that since.
How was your interview? If you don't mind me asking?
Hopefully! There is a context and ideas behind all of my work but I am quite clear that I want normal people to be able to appreciate/understand it, not just people in the art world. So I'm worried they might think my work is too obvious, but I guess you just need to stay true to yourself!
Thank you! I just hope I'm suited to the course as it was originally my first choice, I loved the studios and the look of the facilities; but I've doubted that since.
How was your interview? If you don't mind me asking?

Yeah, I'd like more people than just the artistic elite to be able to get something from my work. I'm really interested in how art can effect people, so that's quite important to me.
I'd say my interview was still intense/intimidating but it a very different way. Instead of a barrage of questions, the tutors stayed pretty much silent throughout the entire first half (not even a hello at the beginning). However, a lot of the questions other people seem to have been asked, such as why they used certain colours/materials or how they want people to view the work, are things I brought up anyway.
I think the only question they asked that I didn't have a direct answer for was 'Why do you paint men?', because there isn't a specific reason why I paint men. Two of the paintings featured well known figures, David Lynch and Charles Darwin, who I was using more as an archetype, but they just happened to be men. I used to use women a lot, and people often misinterpreted my paintings as being feminist, which wasn't my thinking behind them at all, so I think I've moved towards men to make my intentions clearer.

When you're actually in there the time just flies by and I think you're focused too much on the interview to be nervous. I don't think my interview went badly, I just have no idea if it went well, haha.

Quick Reply

Latest