The Student Room Group

Have you ever had a crush on someone of the sex you're not attracted to?

Just wondering how common this is. If you identify as straight, have you ever had a crush/felt attracted to/fell in love with someone of the same sex? If you're gay then have you ever had a crush on the opposite gender?

It's freaking me out because I thought I was gay (I'm a girl) yet I think I have a crush on this guy.

If so, what happened? Did you act on it? Did you ignore it and it never happened again? Does it mean you're actually bisexual?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes. All the time. I wake up everyday thinking about Shakira, and I am a straight female.
Why feel the need to label yourself? You like who you like.
Reply 3
Sort of.

I identify as gay, yet I'd go temporarily straight for Holly Willoughby :colondollar:
Original post by Anonymous
Just wondering how common this is. If you identify as straight, have you ever had a crush/felt attracted to/fell in love with someone of the same sex? If you're gay then have you ever had a crush on the opposite gender?

It's freaking me out because I thought I was gay (I'm a girl) yet I think I have a crush on this guy.

If so, what happened? Did you act on it? Did you ignore it and it never happened again? Does it mean you're actually bisexual?

There's not two discrete on/off options: GAY/STRAIGHT.

I like to think of it on a scale:

GAY 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 STRAIGHT

some people fall closer to one side or the other than others. Some are right in the middle. There's no reason to feel freaked out; experiment with your sexuality - there is no need to be scared of it :smile:
I've not had 'Crushes' on someone of the same sex, it was more of an admiration of their beauty.
Reply 6
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk

Honestly, I don't care to label myself. It's just for a while I've imagined myself only dating girls, the idea that I might want to date a boy, idk it feels weird.
I have a crush on Ellie Goulding, started when I had a boyfriend and I'm straight :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk

Best advice. I've spent the past few years of my life trying to work out whether I'm gay or bisexual. and then I realised, why does it matter? A person is a person. There are times I may have a strong preference for girls and then other times I feel attracted to guys a bit too. I think everyone's sexuality is unique, and that we shouldn't be categorised into boxes because we're all on different points of the sexuality 'spectrum', if you like :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Okay thanks for the advice but I'm not worried about the labels at all. I stopped caring about that long ago. I just want to know everyone else's experiences with it (if at all).
Reply 10
Original post by lanadelgay
Best advice. I've spent the past few years of my life trying to work out whether I'm gay or bisexual. and then I realised, why does it matter? A person is a person. There are times I may have a strong preference for girls and then other times I feel attracted to guys a bit too. I think everyone's sexuality is unique, and that we shouldn't be categorised into boxes because we're all on different points of the sexuality 'spectrum', if you like :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yet you still need to reference sexuality in your username :p:
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
Okay thanks for the advice but I'm not worried about the labels at all. I stopped caring about that long ago. I just want to know everyone else's experiences with it (if at all).

I don't know what answer you're looking for.

People on here have said that it happens, and sexuality is a spectrum. You can like girls but also like guys. People have said it has happened to them in the past, and as such you can understand that it is not rare, which should answer your question. If you don't care about labels, then why are you so distressed over this situation? You may not be giving your sexuality a 'name', but you're putting yourself into a box, hence assigning a stereotype or label to yourself.
Reply 12
Happened to me, I had a crush on a female friend when I was about 15 but I identify as straight. I didn't think about acting on it, I didn't want to act on it. I had a crush on her but I didn't have feelings that I wanted to do anything romantic with her. I didn't even consider acting on it because in my mind it was like by default I knew it was just a little crush, an attraction, but I had no want for a relationship or anything. We were close friends, my feelings for her were friendship, I was just attracted to her too. It was very strange.

It lasted only a few months, and I've never felt anything like it since. I am attracted to guys in the way that I was attracted to the girl, but only if I like the guy enough to be in a relationship with him.

Your situation seems to be a bit different, but it's no reason to freak out. Are you scared that you might be attracted to someone who is not of your preferred gender? I was a little weirded out when it happened to me, but I just accepted it for what it was. It doesn't make you wrong or anything to go against your beliefs about your preferred gender. If you want to ask him out, then ask him out and go with it, it's a learning experience and it will let you learn about what your preferences are. Don't rule guys out is all I'm saying. I haven't ruled girls out, I just haven't been attracted to any again.
Reply 13
Original post by Jessaay!
I don't know what answer you're looking for.

People on here have said that it happens, and sexuality is a spectrum. You can like girls but also like guys. People have said it has happened to them in the past, and as such you can understand that it is not rare, which should answer your question. If you don't care about labels, then why are you so distressed over this situation? You may not be giving your sexuality a 'name', but you're putting yourself into a box, hence assigning a stereotype or label to yourself.

She wants to hear about other people's experiences with the same thing.
Reply 14
Original post by Aku-gila
She wants to hear about other people's experiences with the same thing.

Clearly. Though it does seem she is, despite her efforts to avoid wanting to, putting a 'label on it'. Clearly from her first post she has said 'does this make you bisexual?'
Yeah, once or twice, although I don't think I'll name names in case they're on TSR.
Yes I have, I was hesitant to act on it but I'm glad I did. I married him in the end :colondollar:
Reply 17
Original post by Jessaay!
Clearly. Though it does seem she is, despite her efforts to avoid wanting to, putting a 'label on it'. Clearly from her first post she has said 'does this make you bisexual?'

So? If she wants to label it then that's her prerogative. For some people, it's actually helpful having one. She just wants to hear about experiences though, not this "don't label yourself" malarkey.
Reply 18
No I haven't, gladly. Although I am able to separate the good looking guys from the ugly guys, my feelings for good looking guys are mutual. I wouldn't develop any sexual feelings for guys because to me, that's unnatural and wrong.
Reply 19

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending