The Student Room Group

Dissertation references

Having found a really good book I'd like to use in the background of my introduction, pretty much everything I'd like to say is in it.. That's the problem, can I reference it say 3 times in a row?
Original post by richccfc
Having found a really good book I'd like to use in the background of my introduction, pretty much everything I'd like to say is in it.. That's the problem, can I reference it say 3 times in a row?

Yes, but after the first time you'd refer to it as ibid., which means the same source that I used immediately before i.e.
blah blah (Smith, 2012, p.5), blah blah blah (ibid., p. 27), blah blah blah blah (ibid., p.1).

If you wanted to refer to the same page twice in a row, you'd just say (ibid.)

If you were to use another source and then revert to the first, it would be blah blah (Smith, 2012, p.5), blah blah blah (ibid., p. 27), blah blah blah blah (Jones, 1997, p.615), blah blah (Smith, 2012, p.29).

I hope that makes sense! If not say something :smile:
PS I'm assuming here that you're using Harvard Referencing.
Reply 3
Thanks, what about in the reference list itself? Should I mark it down 3 times or just once?
Reply 4
Original post by richccfc
Thanks, what about in the reference list itself? Should I mark it down 3 times or just once?

Once.

And you mean the bibliography
Original post by Origami Bullets
Yes, but after the first time you'd refer to it as ibid., which means the same source that I used immediately before i.e.
blah blah (Smith, 2012, p.5), blah blah blah (ibid., p. 27), blah blah blah blah (ibid., p.1).

If you wanted to refer to the same page twice in a row, you'd just say (ibid.)

If you were to use another source and then revert to the first, it would be blah blah (Smith, 2012, p.5), blah blah blah (ibid., p. 27), blah blah blah blah (Jones, 1997, p.615), blah blah (Smith, 2012, p.29).

I hope that makes sense! If not say something :smile:

Hmm.

Normally I will say Smith (2001, pp. 10-15) and then after that I just say Smith (2001) until I use another reference/page, I suppose that's ok as well right?
Reply 6
Doesn't your department have a referencing guide? Sometimes they don't follow Harvard exactly. Mine doesn't. You'd be better off looking there.
Original post by King Leonidas
Hmm.

Normally I will say Smith (2001, pp. 10-15) and then after that I just say Smith (2001) until I use another reference/page, I suppose that's ok as well right?

I don't think you're meant to - Smith (2001) refers to the whole document, whereas ibid. specifically means the exact same references as before.
I don't think you're meant to - Smith (2001) refers to the whole document, whereas ibid. specifically means the exact same references as before.

Perhaps it's just my department that prefers it to be done like that:dontknow:
Perhaps it's just my department that prefers it to be done like that:dontknow:

Do they explicitly tell you to do it like that? If not, it could just be that no one has ever bothered to deduct marks from you, rather than it actually being right as such :dontknow:
Do they explicitly tell you to do it like that? If not, it could just be that no one has ever bothered to deduct marks from you, rather than it actually being right as such :dontknow:

Not sure if I should bring to department's attention:holmes:
Not sure if I should bring to department's attention:holmes:

I've just had a look and it's more controversial than I thought - though places that don't like people to say ibid want them to write out the citation again in full, rather than just author and year

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just had a look and it's more controversial than I thought - though places that don't like people to say ibid want them to write out the citation again in full, rather than just author and year

Posted from TSR Mobile

What so it would better to say:

Smith (2001, p. 10) states.......................................Furthermore, Smith (2001, p. 10) emphasises...........................

Surely that would just congest a piece of writing?
What so it would better to say:

Smith (2001, p. 10) states.......................................Furthermore, Smith (2001, p. 10) emphasises...........................

Surely that would just congest a piece of writing?

If your department dislikes the use of ibid, then yes, because it's more accurate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest