The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I always get really nostalgic when reading back over this thread :moon: . Some of the older posts are over a year old now, and although that isn't very old in the grand scheme of things, it seems so long ago. Some of the things I wrote about just make me miss people. A lot of the people that used to work on the farm have gone their separate ways now (there's only four people that have been there longer than I have!), and while I'm really happy that they got better jobs and furthered their careers, I do miss all the fun times we used to have :frown: . Like impromptu snowball fights, trying to salvage a charity event when the air ambulance couldn't land, and rating the firemen out of ten when they came to rescue a cow that was down. Good times :') We worked really hard and always got the work done, but we knew how to have some fun as well. I wish I still had the determination that I had back then...

I had a read over the 2012 apps page the other day... my year.. I feel old

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber
I had a read over the 2012 apps page the other day... my year.. I feel old

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a shame that more people don't stick around after getting into vet school really. I did a fair bit of stalking before this thread was started and I do wonder what happened to people from previous years. Was the course everything that they expected it to be? Did they stick at it? Did anyone drop out and go on to peruse something different?

It's strange to think that some of the people from the earliest threads (2008 was the earliest I think... not that I used TSR back then! :tongue: I would have been year six) must be qualified by now. I do wonder how they're getting on with their lives :moon: .
Reply 2722
Original post by Liberty.
Bristol - SH: AAAAB and AH: AA in Chemistry and Biology

Liv - 'Not accepted without Advanced Highers' don't particularly know what that means :tongue:

Notts - 'grade A in biology and chemistry, grade B in a third subject; minimum of five grade 1s in Scottish Standards to include chemistry, biology and physics, grade 2 in maths and English language; biology, chemistry and physics at grade A at Scottish Highers can compensate for achieving a grade two in Scottish Standards.'

RVC - Advanced Highers at AA or AB grades in: Biology, Chemistry
in addition to 5 Highers at AAAAB grades including: Biology, Chemistry, and at least Intermediate 2 or Standard Credit Grade 1 or 2 in: Physics, English, Mathematics

Surrey - Highers

AAA - AAAAB including specified subjects.

AAB - AAABB including specified subjects.

ABB - AABBB including specified subjects.

BBB - ABBBB including specified subjects.

Advanced Highers

AAA - AAA including specified subjects.

AAB - AAB including specified subjects.

ABB - ABB including specified subjects.

BBB - BBB including specified subjects.

I have no idea about scottish stuff, so make of this what you will!

Ah great! Thank you very much, that's a big help!
It's a shame that more people don't stick around after getting into vet school really. I did a fair bit of stalking before this thread was started and I do wonder what happened to people from previous years. Was the course everything that they expected it to be? Did they stick at it? Did anyone drop out and go on to peruse something different?

It's strange to think that some of the people from the earliest threads (2008 was the earliest I think... not that I used TSR back then! :tongue: I would have been year six) must be qualified by now. I do wonder how they're getting on with their lives :moon: .

Aye, I know lots of people on my course who used TSR when they were applying but no longer.
Future African Game Vet is the oldest person I know who still uses TSR a bit, she's a Notts 5th year.
I'm from the 2010 applicant thread... Ponyvet is an older qualified vet :smile:. I'll qualify in a year, will let you know :wink:. I still love it though. The PDSA I've been to for the last two weeks is amazing.
Hi everyone, just thought I'd say hello again :smile: how are you all finding your AS levels? I'm really stressed about mine :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rachelhannah
Hi everyone, just thought I'd say hello again :smile: how are you all finding your AS levels? I'm really stressed about mine :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm getting mega stressed too, :frown: None stop revising really. I just can't get my exam technique right and it's SOOO frustrating!
Original post by Abby_W31
I'm getting mega stressed too, :frown: None stop revising really. I just can't get my exam technique right and it's SOOO frustrating!

You'll get it right in the end :smile: I'm glad I'm not alone haha! I feel like I haven't done enough revision recently and now I need to cram it all in but it's really hard to get so motivated again after working for my GCSEs. I understand what you mean about exam technique though, I have really bad time management :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aye, I know lots of people on my course who used TSR when they were applying but no longer.
Future African Game Vet is the oldest person I know who still uses TSR a bit, she's a Notts 5th year.

I guess people just lose interest, which is fair enough I suppose. You have to promise to stick around for a while yet, though :h:

Original post by skatealexia
I'm from the 2010 applicant thread... Ponyvet is an older qualified vet :smile:. I'll qualify in a year, will let you know :wink:. I still love it though. The PDSA I've been to for the last two weeks is amazing.

There are a few qualified vets if I remember correctly. I know Tarnia is, and I think there was one called Voodooshayman or something like that? I haven't seen them for a long time, though.

What have you been doing at the PDSA :smile: ? Are you being allowed to do any surgery yet, or does that come a bit later (if that's not a stupid question :redface: )

Original post by Rachelhannah

Hey there, it's been a while since we last saw you, how are things? :smile:

A-Levels are alright at the mo. Need to properly get into revision, though.
Hey there, it's been a while since we last saw you, how are things? :smile:

A-Levels are alright at the mo. Need to properly get into revision, though.

Hi! :smile: good thanks, just been visiting vet unis and trying not to fail my ALevels since last time I was on here haha :tongue: how are things with you?

Yeah, my revision hasn't properly kicked in yet. I'm worried that I'm starting it too late though :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi! :smile: good thanks, just been visiting vet unis and trying not to fail my ALevels since last time I was on here haha :tongue: how are things with you?

Yeah, my revision hasn't properly kicked in yet. I'm worried that I'm starting it too late though :/

Oh cool, where did you go? I went to Bristol's Vetquest last week, which despite me doggedly lying telling people that I'm not interested in veterinary any more, was utterly amazing! They had a plastic cow called Lactifah :lol: . The RVC has a open night thing all about chickens so I signed up for that too (it was free so why not :tongue: )

Yeah, I did appallingly bad in my chem and maths mocks (phys and bio were As though woop), so I'm really going to need to step it up a gear. Some people at school started their proper revision about two months ago, and today I got really anxious when I realised that in only a few days it will be one month until my first exam (where did the time go!). I'm convinced that I won't get the grades I need for vet so I have been looking into courses with lower requirements, but at the same time it would be nice to come out with not all Es :lol: .
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm still around occasionally! I'm also a 2010 applicant and will be starting rotations after Easter which I am really excited about but also slightly terrified!! I still love it though, it's hard work but I can't imagine doing anything else and I know it's all going to be worth it in the end. It's great when you get to 4th year as everything is so much more clinically relevant and I'v even got to do cat spays and castrates myself at my foster practice which was amazing!

I'v helped out with quite a few interview tours and Vetquest which has made me really nostalgic! I can't believe it was 4 years ago I had my interview, it only seems like yesterday!! My advice would be to make the most of any opportunities you get, work hard and enjoy yourself. The vet course will be stressful at times so you need to make the most of it and relax when you can!!
Reply 2732

I thought this too as an applicant but speaking as a first year now (who occasionally stalks tsr in times of dire procrastination) I pretty much understand why! It is a shame as it would be great to have more current students around to chat to applicants, but the thing I failed to appreciate as an applicant is that vet school is bloody difficult and I think that most people just don't find the time (although great respect for those who do of course).

When I applied I threw absolutely everything at getting in, worked consistently hard both at school and with all my work experience/volunteering... and then was a little shocked halfway through first term when I realised how much work I still was expected to do and how far I had to go! And then the whole university thing is so all-consuming, in terms of all the incredible people you meet and everything that's going on socially and academically, some stuff just has to take a back seat. I think that's what happened to most of us, anyway. Especially with vet, actually, because when you're applying it's unlikely you know many (if any! I didn't) people who are applying for vetmed, and so tsr sort of fills that gap, but when you hit vet school you don't need it for that function anymore I guess?

Anyway, in regard to your question - the course is brilliant, not really what I expected but I don't know what I expected to be honest! I'm amazed on an almost daily basis at how the mammalian body functions. Sometimes you genuinely can't work out why things are relevant and you're consistently mind boggled by how much stuff you're expected to memorise and yes I haven't seen anywhere near enough live animals this term, but I'm loving it. I have doubts sometimes, and one person has already dropped out (for health reasons) and I know a worrying number of people who are having serious doubts about becoming a vet... But hey, it is a difficult career and it's better to realise those doubts now than in six years time when we are qualified?

Aaah, this was a hugely long post, sorry! D:
Reply 2733
Original post by elliannagibbs
Can I ask, any re-applicants from the last 2014 cycle?

If so, what are you planning with your gap year?

I will be reapplying. For the next 3 months it's 100% revision for A levels... Then I will get anther few weeks more wex ... In particular plugging the gaps in my wex. Hope to do some voluntary animal work overseas for a few weeks or a month before reapplying in oct. Got to stay positive despite my 4 rejections this year.
Original post by Moonlight*
I'm still around occasionally! I'm also a 2010 applicant and will be starting rotations after Easter which I am really excited about but also slightly terrified!! I still love it though, it's hard work but I can't imagine doing anything else and I know it's all going to be worth it in the end. It's great when you get to 4th year as everything is so much more clinically relevant and I'v even got to do cat spays and castrates myself at my foster practice which was amazing!

I'v helped out with quite a few interview tours and Vetquest which has made me really nostalgic! I can't believe it was 4 years ago I had my interview, it only seems like yesterday!! My advice would be to make the most of any opportunities you get, work hard and enjoy yourself. The vet course will be stressful at times so you need to make the most of it and relax when you can!!

Time flies eh! Where are you going for your rotations? Happy to hear that you're still loving the course, four years on. I'm sure you'll make a fantastic vet :h:

Were you there on the Saturday Vetquest by any chance? I went and it was amazing, I had no idea what to expect when I signed up but I'm so glad I went because loved every second. Your clinical skills lab is amazing and the rest of the campus is beautiful. If you know a Lucy (or if you are her! :lol: ) could you please give her my regards as she was my group leader for the day and she was fab :h:

Original post by Kysa
I thought this too as an applicant but speaking as a first year now (who occasionally stalks tsr in times of dire procrastination) I pretty much understand why! It is a shame as it would be great to have more current students around to chat to applicants, but the thing I failed to appreciate as an applicant is that vet school is bloody difficult and I think that most people just don't find the time (although great respect for those who do of course)...

No no don't apologise! What you've said makes sense, vet is obviously a very tough course so no wonder you have better things to do! I'm really glad that you're enjoying the course. The way I see it, small doubts can only be a good thing. If you're able to question why you're there and whether you're doing the right thing and still come out the other side knowing that you're on the right course then that can only make you stronger as a person :smile:
I think most people no longer think about tsr once they're at vet school tbh, whilst applying people want to know who they're up against, discuss current matters and get the latest news from like minded people who are rare! All things you get at uni as you spend an awful lot of time with other alike people.

I'm still around as I'm a PS helper + I post a lot in the fitness forums and have a blog :smile:

And yes LTC I'll be around for a while yet, you can't get rid of me yet :mwuaha:

Original post by Kysa
I thought this too as an applicant but speaking as a first year now (who occasionally stalks tsr in times of dire procrastination) I pretty much understand why! It is a shame as it would be great to have more current students around to chat to applicants, but the thing I failed to appreciate as an applicant is that vet school is bloody difficult and I think that most people just don't find the time (although great respect for those who do of course).

When I applied I threw absolutely everything at getting in, worked consistently hard both at school and with all my work experience/volunteering... and then was a little shocked halfway through first term when I realised how much work I still was expected to do and how far I had to go! And then the whole university thing is so all-consuming, in terms of all the incredible people you meet and everything that's going on socially and academically, some stuff just has to take a back seat. I think that's what happened to most of us, anyway. Especially with vet, actually, because when you're applying it's unlikely you know many (if any! I didn't) people who are applying for vetmed, and so tsr sort of fills that gap, but when you hit vet school you don't need it for that function anymore I guess?

Anyway, in regard to your question - the course is brilliant, not really what I expected but I don't know what I expected to be honest! I'm amazed on an almost daily basis at how the mammalian body functions. Sometimes you genuinely can't work out why things are relevant and you're consistently mind boggled by how much stuff you're expected to memorise and yes I haven't seen anywhere near enough live animals this term, but I'm loving it. I have doubts sometimes, and one person has already dropped out (for health reasons) and I know a worrying number of people who are having serious doubts about becoming a vet... But hey, it is a difficult career and it's better to realise those doubts now than in six years time when we are qualified?

Where abouts are you at uni?
(edited 10 years ago)
Oh cool, where did you go? I went to Bristol's Vetquest last week, which despite me doggedly lying telling people that I'm not interested in veterinary any more, was utterly amazing! They had a plastic cow called Lactifah :lol: . The RVC has a open night thing all about chickens so I signed up for that too (it was free so why not :tongue: )

Yeah, I did appallingly bad in my chem and maths mocks (phys and bio were As though woop), so I'm really going to need to step it up a gear. Some people at school started their proper revision about two months ago, and today I got really anxious when I realised that in only a few days it will be one month until my first exam (where did the time go!). I'm convinced that I won't get the grades I need for vet so I have been looking into courses with lower requirements, but at the same time it would be nice to come out with not all Es :lol: .

I've been to Edinburgh, liverpool, Surrey and Bristol so far. Hoping to still see Nottingham though. I went to that last week too!!!! :smile: it was sooo good wasn't it??? I got so much useful information there! Oh, that sounds good :smile:

Haha that's exactly like me, I did badly in chem and maths but English and bio were good! 2 months ago?! Wow... 😁 Don't say that, you don't know that you're not gonna get the grades until you get that slip of paper after the exams! I think you can do it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Time flies eh! Where are you going for your rotations? Happy to hear that you're still loving the course, four years on. I'm sure you'll make a fantastic vet :h:

Were you there on the Saturday Vetquest by any chance? I went and it was amazing, I had no idea what to expect when I signed up but I'm so glad I went because loved every second. Your clinical skills lab is amazing and the rest of the campus is beautiful. If you know a Lucy (or if you are her! :lol: ) could you please give her my regards as she was my group leader for the day and she was fab :h:

Thanks! Yes I was there on Sat, I was one of the group guides. My group was Salukis so I might have come across you at some point! Lucy is great, I will have to let her know! I'm really glad you enjoyed it! I know they changed it a lot this year to make it more practical so it's nice to hear that it all worked ok! Good luck with all your exams, I'v started revising for my 4th year exams now which seems like an impossible task atm lol!
Rotations are in all the different hospitals at Langford and the abbatoir and first opinion farm and small animal practices :smile: i'v got lots of placements booked in May aswell which I'm really looking forward to :smile:
Reply 2738

Where abouts are you at uni?

Cambridge :smile: Probably explains the lack of clinical relevance haha! It's definitely not the course for everyone but I do feel it's a bit unfairly represented in the vet community.

No no don't apologise! What you've said makes sense, vet is obviously a very tough course so no wonder you have better things to do! I'm really glad that you're enjoying the course. The way I see it, small doubts can only be a good thing. If you're able to question why you're there and whether you're doing the right thing and still come out the other side knowing that you're on the right course then that can only make you stronger as a person :smile:

I definitely agree, applies to most things to be honest - you should always try and question your motivations & beliefs because they almost always come out stronger for it, and if not you'll be happier eventually anyway!
xx

I shall PM you :smile: xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending