The Student Room Group

Would you buy a car if you lived in a city like London or just take the damn tube/bus

I think the title says it all; I'm planning to buy a car but I'm not too sure if it's worth it if I've good access to the public transportation.
Reply 1
Driving in London is horrible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Juno

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can see the traffic is horrible as well; but taking the bus/tube can have its bad moments as well :s-smilie:
Original post by Juno

Posted from TSR Mobile

And there's a toll
Reply 4
Bicycle. London is pretty well catered for with regards to cycle access. So long as you don't join the stupid commuter racing you'll be fine. Ride your bike like you'd drive your car - in other words, occupy the centre of your chosen lane at junctions and on roundabouts and don't stick to the left-hand gutter (this, in particular, is what kills cyclists at junctions). Don't wear headphones and always glance over your shoulder before altering your trajectory by any small way.

Free advice from an ex-London messenger :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by Tim TIC
Bicycle. London is pretty well catered for with regards to cycle access. So long as you don't join the stupid commuter racing you'll be fine. Ride your bike like you'd drive your car - in other words, occupy the centre of your chosen lane at junctions and on roundabouts and don't stick to the left-hand gutter (this, in particular, is what kills cyclists at junctions). Don't wear headphones and always glance over your shoulder before altering your trajectory by any small way.

eek :pinch:

I've seen a lot of cyclists on the road in London and it's always amazed me how they've stayed alive cycling!

Free advice from an ex-London messenger :wink:

Which part of London were you from?
I shall not drive. It's not good for the environment not to mention the extra costs and not that much convenience added.
Reply 7
Original post by clh_hilary
I shall not drive. It's not good for the environment not to mention the extra costs and not that much convenience added.

The thing about having a car is that I can go wherever I want, whenever I want. That's the lovely thing about it. Other than that, it sucks my money quickly, which I hate.
Reply 8
Original post by kka25
eek :pinch:

I've seen a lot of cyclists on the road in London and it's always amazed me how they've stayed alive cycling!

Which part of London were you from?

Unfortunately a lot of cyclists have no road sense whatsoever and there's a lot of egos out there. The bane of my life used to be what we called 'nodders' or 'mamils' (middle-aged men in lycra). They would have £2000 road bikes and all the gear and practically sit on your back wheel, then try to overtake you whilst you're overtaking a bus (!) and numerous other dangerous stuff like racing you round roundabouts (one once hit my back wheel as he was so close when I slowed down to switch lanes. He came off good style. I left him sprawled across the road!).

I lived in Hackney (Dalston and Clapton) mostly but also Brixton and New Cross.
Original post by kka25
The thing about having a car is that I can go wherever I want, whenever I want. That's the lovely thing about it. Other than that, it sucks my money quickly, which I hate.

Difficult to drive wherever you want when there is so much traffic around.

Quick Reply

Latest