The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7400
Original post by Midlander
So nobody would have a problem with Scots having to pay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What? No. Being able to provide free education is not against EU law.
Reply 7401
Original post by Boab

True, but if you do you have to offer it to other EU students for free too.
Original post by Psyk
True, but if you do you have to offer it to other EU students for free too.

Yeah I think he's suggesting that everyone would get it for free which is what I hope would happen, but I don't know if we could afford it.

Anyway, SNP's claim of universities getting too many students from across the border is a weak explanation in my opinion. Surely universities can give Scottish students priority over those from rUK? I think it has more to do with cost than disadvantaging Scottish students.

Whether they like it or not, they will have to change their policy when we join the EU.
Original post by Boab

Doing so and charging those from other EU states is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If they use the pound after becoming independent, the Scottish people will be looking at pictures of the Queen of England on a daily basis, which I assume they would rather not do. They will therefore need to revert to a Scottish King in order to create their own banknotes of Scottish royalty-and I also assume that however much they adore Alex Salmond , they don't want to look at him smiling at them from every fiver they use to pay for their chips. There is also the vexed question of Royal Army Scottish regiments that will lose their famous names and status.
Original post by Boab
This is all open to debate. We will only know after the vote.

Do why is Salmond talking as if it's a done deal.
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
Yeah I think he's suggesting that everyone would get it for free which is what I hope would happen, but I don't know if we could afford it.

Anyway, SNP's claim of universities getting too many students from across the border is a weak explanation in my opinion. Surely universities can give Scottish students priority over those from rUK? I think it has more to do with cost than disadvantaging Scottish students.

Whether they like it or not, they will have to change their policy when we join the EU.

I'm afraid not. EU law states that all EU Citiziens must be treated equally.

It may have missed you by but all of this criticism about Eastern European immigrants claiming benefits is. Belief that you can put your own Citiziens first, but in reality you can't.
Original post by Horsedobbin
If they use the pound after becoming independent, the Scottish people will be looking at pictures of the Queen of England on a daily basis, which I assume they would rather not do. They will therefore need to revert to a Scottish King in order to create their own banknotes of Scottish royalty-and I also assume that however much they adore Alex Salmond , they don't want to look at him smiling at them from every fiver they use to pay for their chips. There is also the vexed question of Royal Army Scottish regiments that will lose their famous names and status.

Perhaps you haven't been told, but she would also be Queen of Scots, just as she is Queen of Australia. :rolleyes:
Reply 7408

Firstly, royalty, who cares?

The Scottish regiments? I think you need to reconsider Army regiments losing their names etc over the last bunch of years before you make such a silly statement.
Original post by Good bloke
Perhaps you haven't been told, but she would also be Queen of Scots, just as she is Queen of Australia. :rolleyes:

sorry squire, but you haven't been keeping up with the news, have you?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/scottish-independence-yes-campaign-victory-could-mean-referendum-on-keeping-the-queen-snp-minister-says-9211026.html
Reply 7410
Original post by MatureStudent36
Do why is Salmond talking as if it's a done deal.

The exact same reason the other side are claiming the opposite. You do understand politics, right?!
Reply 7411

News? News from ever ever land. As long as there is royalty in the world, the question about getting rid of them will be asked.
Original post by Boab
Firstly, royalty, who cares?

The Scottish regiments? I think you need to reconsider Army regiments losing their names etc over the last bunch of years before you make such a silly statement.

Not a "silly statement" at all.
You clearly haven't thought it through.

It's NOT a question of THE UK losing the actual regiments, which would continue to exist but not under the control nor in the service of an independent Scotland. The soldiers won't all be made redundant after Scottish Independence , will they??
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Boab
News? News from ever ever land. As long as there is royalty in the world, the question about getting rid of them will be asked.

Oh, so you think it's far fetched that an independent Scotland would not wish to be under British Royal sovereignty?
Original post by Boab
The exact same reason the other side are claiming the opposite. You do understand politics, right?!

There's a significant amount of evidence that Salmond is making it up.
Least of all his mythical legal advice.

Yes. I'm fully aware of politics. I'm also fully aware of the dangers of nationalistic policies whereby politicians will weaken the people's position to strengthen their own grip on power.
I'm afraid not. EU law states that all EU Citiziens must be treated equally.

It may have missed you by but all of this criticism about Eastern European immigrants claiming benefits is. Belief that you can put your own Citiziens first, but in reality you can't.

Ah I see. Well I understand where the SNP are coming from but I don't understand why they think they will be allowed to do it when we join the EU. It's bizarre.
Reply 7416
There's a significant amount of evidence that Salmond is making it up.

There is a significant amount of evidence that Better Together is making it all up.

I understand you are blinded by your biased view, but there are two sides to this.
Reply 7417
Not a "silly statement" at all.
You clearly haven't thought it through.

It's NOT a question of THE UK losing the actual regiments, which would continue to exist but not under the control nor in the service of an independent Scotland. The soldiers won't all be made redundant after Scottish Independence , will they??

I have thought it through. I used to be in the Army and have a full understanding of the plans for a future Scottish defence force.

I am also very aware of the British forces scrapping of many many regiments and the redundancies of recent years.

It was a very silly statement.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7418
Oh, so you think it's far fetched that an independent Scotland would not wish to be under British Royal sovereignty?

No, it could go either way.

Bothered?!
Reply 7419
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/mar/29/alistair-carmichael-scottish-independence-poll-losing

Coming on the back of his humiliating defeat in his debate, Alistair Carmichael is now worried that YES have the biggest campaign war chest in British political history.
Sounds awfully like a man getting his excuses in early!

Latest