The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Unit 4 | Life on the Margins: The Food Supply Problem | Discussion

Hi Guys!

This is forum is for anyone who is doing Life on the margins Option 3. Personally I hate this topic -_- But I have to do it. What you guys doing on it? have yall finished? I'm about to... :frown::frown:

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Reply 3

Just started , need some good casestudies...............any good resources?
Reply 4
BUMP
Reply 5
Original post by peter qwert
Just started , need some good casestudies...............any good resources?

Hey you finding this unit? I dont really like it. I'm not sure what type of case studies you need?
Reply 6
Hi

I'm find this quite daunting - with different case studies and theories alongside physical geography looking impossibly hard! Hopefully the pre-release will shed some light on the areas that need concentrating on
Reply 7
Original post by chilgeog
Hi

I'm find this quite daunting - with different case studies and theories alongside physical geography looking impossibly hard! Hopefully the pre-release will shed some light on the areas that need concentrating on

Hiya, yes I know :smile: I did recently a mock report for drylands and got an A but I spent like 2 hours with all my notes. I would never be able to do that in the exam :frown: I literally have not been revising, hopefully the pre-release will be good..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by lala121
Hiya, yes I know :smile: I did recently a mock report for drylands and got an A but I spent like 2 hours with all my notes. I would never be able to do that in the exam :frown: I literally have not been revising, hopefully the pre-release will be good..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the breath of what you need to learn is quite wide, and as they give you the pre-release in March there seems to be an expectation that you will know everything there is to know! Better get revising!
Reply 9
Original post by chilgeog
I think the breath of what you need to learn is quite wide, and as they give you the pre-release in March there seems to be an expectation that you will know everything there is to know! Better get revising!

Ahh dont say that :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by lala121
hh dont say that :frown:

It will be fine, plenty of time:smile:
Reply 11
So here is the pre-release

Pre-release:

OPTION 3: Life on the Margins – the Food Supply Problem

•

Explore how different ways of increasing global food supply have different degrees of sustainability.

•

Research contrasting ways of increasing food supply to cope with rising demand.

Personally I was hoping that it wont come up on strategies because i'm bad on that and have not researched well, but what can i do?

I think that the report will have an emphasis on sustainability. So maybe a question like "To what extent are the ways/strategies of increasing food supply sustainable?"
I think the prerelease is horrible, it doesnt direct you. like they will ask us to evaluate either different rural or urban/ medc or ledc/ top down or bottom up/ long term or short term strategies
Reply 13
Original post by JamesChowler
I think the prerelease is horrible, it doesnt direct you. like they will ask us to evaluate either different rural or urban/ medc or ledc/ top down or bottom up/ long term or short term strategies

Personally I don't think so. I think its very good. To be honest there must be a scale and whilst talking about sustainability top down and bottom up is important
Reply 14
These are the case studies I have so far
Original post by lala121
These are the case studies I have so far

Ye there pretty similar to mine. i have gm crops, green rev, trade liberalisation, urban agriculture, rural agriculture, hydroponis and money maker pumps
Reply 16
So I kind of need help on my methodology, could you maybe read mine?

Source MaterialsEvaluation of Source
A2 Edexcel Geography Textbook, Philip Allan Updates, Cameron DunnReliable source for definitions, theory and case studies. However the author could pose a bias view point.
Governmental Websites (FAO, UNEP, UN, Australia)Reliable source for humanitarian issues and statistics. However central governments websites e.g. Australia may not release exact figures on food security. There also might be a bias, especially the UNEP due to political and social reasons.
Geography Review MagazineThe magazine provides contemporary geographical issues around the world that is aimed at A-Level students. The data provided is usually reliable; however the well-known authors may take a particular stance on discussions.
Guardian NewspaperThe newspaper provides up-to-date information on topics and geographical affairs. It offers a specific section on food security, where it delivers reports on food security around the globe. Writers usually tend to not show bias, although occasionally one may see that their views take over the articles.
Original post by lala121
So I kind of need help on my methodology, could you maybe read mine?

Source MaterialsEvaluation of Source
A2 Edexcel Geography Textbook, Philip Allan Updates, Cameron DunnReliable source for definitions, theory and case studies. However the author could pose a bias view point.
Governmental Websites (FAO, UNEP, UN, Australia)Reliable source for humanitarian issues and statistics. However central governments websites e.g. Australia may not release exact figures on food security. There also might be a bias, especially the UNEP due to political and social reasons.
Geography Review MagazineThe magazine provides contemporary geographical issues around the world that is aimed at A-Level students. The data provided is usually reliable; however the well-known authors may take a particular stance on discussions.
Guardian NewspaperThe newspaper provides up-to-date information on topics and geographical affairs. It offers a specific section on food security, where it delivers reports on food security around the globe. Writers usually tend to not show bias, although occasionally one may see that their views take over the articles.

i dont think using the texbook is a good idea as it looks a bit bascic, like you havnt done a lot of research. we have been told to have 4 colums: case study name (GM crops), source (the guardian), classificaition (top down, rural, medc...) and reliability like you have done.
i dont think using the texbook is a good idea as it looks a bit basic, like you havnt done a lot of research. you can always lie and say its from bbc
Reply 18
Original post by JamesChowler
i dont think using the texbook is a good idea as it looks a bit bascic, like you havnt done a lot of research. we have been told to have 4 colums: case study name (GM crops), source (the guardian), classificaition (top down, rural, medc...) and reliability like you have done.
i dont think using the texbook is a good idea as it looks a bit basic, like you havnt done a lot of research. you can always lie and say its from bbc

Thanks :smile: Also I know that you cannot just get 15 marks for writing a table, how do you use the methodology within the analysis to get marks? would I have to source case studies?
Original post by lala121
Thanks :smile: Also I know that you cannot just get 15 marks for writing a table, how do you use the methodology within the analysis to get marks? would I have to source case studies?

hmm well make sure you cover everything you say in the intro/ methodology in your analysis. also mention the models and theories in explanations. if you have any extra info you can add to a case study that will look good, for example ... Study carried out Dr Stanley Ewen of cambridge university shows possible link between growth of malignant tumours and GM rice crop. remember you get marks for reasearch, so if it looks like you have done a lot of in depth research it will look smart

Quick Reply

Latest