The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
You assume the pompey fanbase will see an improvement with no actual reason to, and likewise assume that coventry won't see an improvement without any reason to justify it.

it's not every now and then, it's pretty much every post. Someone complains they played poorly and immediately it's "at least you are in your own ground". When people moan about something constantly, it's hard not to stop caring at all.

The club is now fan owned, which precludes reckless overspending from rearing its head. Their attendances are comfortably higher than the average at that level, so even if they go down again, the foundations are there for a recovery. We are owned by a hedge fund which has pulled the team from its home city in an effort to bankrupt a stadium management company. Debts to these people are in excess of £45m and no bidders are forthcoming and the football authorities have washed their hands of it-where is the room for optimism there?

Can't wait for you to get promoted and leave this forum, you are so far wide of the mark on so many things.
Likewise with Leeds, we went from Champions League football crashing all the way down & came close to complete liquidation. Two painful relegations. A couple play off final defeats. It hurt but was humbling. I've been to places like Yeovil & Brentford, & that's a huge change from Liverpool or Manchester. Go look in the Man Utd thread, they moan & cry even when they win because they hate Moyes that much. Man Utd will never suffer the same fate as Portsmouth, Coventry or Leeds. Despite a small resurgence & a couple of mid table season, things are looking bleak. But I still feel confident that Leeds will get back to the Premier League. Got to have some hope.

We have once again plummeted to the bottom of the form table & our average attendances are dropping.
http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/CurrentForm/0,,10794~20137,00.html
Original post by Midlander
The club is now fan owned, which precludes reckless overspending from rearing its head. Their attendances are comfortably higher than the average at that level, so even if they go down again, the foundations are there for a recovery. We are owned by a hedge fund which has pulled the team from its home city in an effort to bankrupt a stadium management company. Debts to these people are in excess of £45m and no bidders are forthcoming and the football authorities have washed their hands of it-where is the room for optimism there?

Can't wait for you to get promoted and leave this forum, you are so far wide of the mark on so many things

Not at all - Fan ownership doesn't prevent reckless overspending. You assume that fans know what they are doing when running a club - while they may have the clubs best interests at heart, that doesn't make them competent owners by any stretch of the imagination.

Attendances mean very little in terms of foundations, the scale of football - particularly for a team still in premier league hangover, means that gate income is a drop in the water. Besides, you forget that only plymouth have a ground anywhere near the same size: Fratton Park is comfortably double the size of most grounds in the division.

Playing outside of your own city doesn't mean much for the on the field performances. Your attendances had been falling for quite a while, before the move and before SISU arrived, so I don't think those claims count for much at all; meanwhile the 4th best attack in the division should be cause for optimism, a leaky defence being all that holds it back.

Such as?

Original post by Silver Arrows
Likewise with Leeds, we went from Champions League football crashing all the way down & came close to complete liquidation. Two painful relegations. A couple play off final defeats. It hurt but was humbling. I've been to places like Yeovil & Brentford, & that's a huge change from Liverpool or Manchester. Go look in the Man Utd thread, they moan & cry even when they win because they hate Moyes that much. Man Utd will never suffer the same fate as Portsmouth, Coventry or Leeds. Despite a small resurgence & a couple of mid table season, things are looking bleak. But I still feel confident that Leeds will get back to the Premier League. Got to have some hope.

We have once again plummeted to the bottom of the form table & our average attendances are dropping.
http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/CurrentForm/0,,10794~20137,00.html

What actually happened with that Cellino bloke? surely with the criteria for the Fit and Proper test he was fine - the money certainly was there, sounds as if he's been keeping you out of admin during the takeover process.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers

What actually happened with that Cellino bloke? surely with the criteria for the Fit and Proper test he was fine - the money certainly was there, sounds as if he's been keeping you out of admin during the takeover process.

Found guilty of tax evasion in Italy. He's appealing that verdict though.
Found guilty of tax evasion in Italy. He's appealing that verdict though.

Even if he fails somebody else must be interested though right? Leeds are a huge club and if the owners are keen to offload then I'd expect fresh interest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Obviously when **** stuff is happening to your own club you're going to think it's a million times worse than what anyone else can be going through. No one can possibly feel worse than me after Brentford get stuffed. It's just not possible. Coventry are having a **** time but I can't properly relate to it because I'm not a Coventry fan. I can only have a lot of sympathy for the fans and recognise that they're probably the worst run club in professional football in England right now.

Midlander does moan a lot though.

Went to Oldham away at the weekend and it was utterly depressing. A dull game, a dull place and cold as hell despite Manchester actually being quite warm for a change. We got interviewed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J0rKVvlQZwg#t=303 Apologies for the utter lack of insight and the bad prediction at the end. We were drinking...

Oh and it was a point gained on Orient as they lost. So we're back to being four points ahead of them with two games more to play. That's a huge positive. Wolves have won the league now for definite though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CraigWM
Back in 2011, Watford actually signed Chris Iwelumo. I think it's quite clear which club is the worst off.

Oh Chris Iwelumo brings back some memories of his Molineux days..
Reply 727
Original post by hskjlclcn
Oh Chris Iwelumo brings back some memories of his Molineux days..

That bloke was like the Scottish Messi.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jangrafess
Obviously when **** stuff is happening to your own club you're going to think it's a million times worse than what anyone else can be going through. No one can possibly feel worse than me after Brentford get stuffed. It's just not possible. Coventry are having a **** time but I can't properly relate to it because I'm not a Coventry fan. I can only have a lot of sympathy for the fans and recognise that they're probably the worst run club in professional football in England right now.

Midlander does moan a lot though.

Went to Oldham away at the weekend and it was utterly depressing. A dull game, a dull place and cold as hell despite Manchester actually being quite warm for a change. We got interviewed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J0rKVvlQZwg#t=303 Apologies for the utter lack of insight and the bad prediction at the end. We were drinking...

Oh and it was a point gained on Orient as they lost. So we're back to being four points ahead of them with two games more to play. That's a huge positive. Wolves have won the league now for definite though.

Put it this way. When you are passionate about something you talk about it a lot. For the most part the fans here are moderately well run at least which enables football to be the thrust of discussion for them. For me the off field issues are so great that what happens on the pitch there gets overshadowed.

Unless you've supported a team that has been relocated against the fans' will it is difficult to explain. Every game is a protest, after all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Even if he fails somebody else must be interested though right? Leeds are a huge club and if the owners are keen to offload then I'd expect fresh interest.

Leeds don't own their ground or their training ground, which must be a huge hindrance. Along with having players like Noel Hunt on £20k per week.
Put it this way. When you are passionate about something you talk about it a lot. For the most part the fans here are moderately well run at least which enables football to be the thrust of discussion for them. For me the off field issues are so great that what happens on the pitch there gets overshadowed.

Unless you've supported a team that has been relocated against the fans' will it is difficult to explain. Every game is a protest, after all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't blame you for being massively upset by it, I just feel that other people have a right to vent about things without being told that in your opinion, relatively speaking, things are actually okay for them. I'd hate to be in a Coventry fan's boots right now but this is a thread for all football league fans to discuss their teams in.

I went to see FC United of Manchester play in the Manchester FA Womens Cup final tonight. It was brilliant. They lost 2-1 but their fans were superb. Easily a couple of hundred came along to see them, and some of them were the most vocal fans of the mens team. They sung songs making it clear that being an FC fan means supporting the women as well as the men and really got behind the players. It was a better atmosphere than I've seen at a Brentford game for some time. At the end we sang about how proud we were and the players all got a bit tearful. I've always been a bit cynical of FC United for numerous reasons that I won't go into here but I've been going a lto with my housemate who is a season ticket holder and I'm getting a bit caught up in the romance. Each game is so atmospheric, the songs are fantastic, and the relationship between the players and the fans is top notch. Everyone has their own song. There's songs about the kitman, individual fans, the manager's old fruit and veg business and it makes me ashamed of how bad songs are at Brentford.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm ashamed to admit I rather liked Chris Iwelumo :tongue:
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
I'm ashamed to admit I rather liked Chris Iwelumo :tongue:

After his open goal miss for Scotland, there might be a fair few up North who disagree! :biggrin:

Also, the worst decision maker in the world, comes home on Saturday. Stuart Attwell is refereeing Watford v Burnley, his first game at VR since his 'ghost goal' awarding in 2008. Feel sorry for the bloke, he's going to get slaughtered.
Original post by Jangrafess
I don't blame you for being massively upset by it, I just feel that other people have a right to vent about things without being told that in your opinion, relatively speaking, things are actually okay for them. I'd hate to be in a Coventry fan's boots right now but this is a thread for all football league fans to discuss their teams in.

Understand that but it's not exactly wrong-there's always a club you'll be glad you're not supporting. Relatively speaking I'd trade with any fan on here, although I might not be saying that about Leeds if things continue on the present trajectory there.
Original post by sr90
Leeds don't own their ground or their training ground, which must be a huge hindrance. Along with having players like Noel Hunt on £20k per week.

Would it cost much to buy back Elland Road? It still has a huge fanbase in its favour if nothing else. What puzzles me a bit more is how 'CFH' has seemingly run dry on funds after not that long at the helm.
"THAT IS THE KIND OF GOAL WHICH TELLS YOU THAT YOU ARE ON YOUR WAY TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE" - Chris wood. wow.
Original post by Akash16
"THAT IS THE KIND OF GOAL WHICH TELLS YOU THAT YOU ARE ON YOUR WAY TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE" - Chris wood. wow.

Cool story bro.
Original post by Akash16

Just a **** Chris Iwelumo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would it cost much to buy back Elland Road? It still has a huge fanbase in its favour if nothing else. What puzzles me a bit more is how 'CFH' has seemingly run dry on funds after not that long at the helm.

Attendance is dropping now that we're playing ****. I didn't even get a ticket for the Charlton game tonight. GFH Have put know money into Leeds, they said if we wanted to buy players, we'd have to sell players. Unfortunately no one was willing to match Noel Hunt's £20k wage demands. GFH just used Leeds United as a business opportunity; buy it, sell it, profit.

Original post by Akash16

Leicester are such a nothing team, you've won **** all & have never been a real top side. Congratulations on walking a league with the likes of Yeovil & Bournemouth in whilst being bankrolled by a wealthy owner.
Original post by CraigWM
Just a **** Chris Iwelumo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't describe him as anything like Iwelumo. For a big man, he's not much of an aerial or physical player. He's a cracking finisher when on form but that's essentially it - he's a poacher with a bit of weight to him. I certainly doubt he'd miss an open goal from 6 yards, and he plays regularly for a far better nation than Iwelumo got capped for...

Leicester are such a nothing team, you've won **** all & have never been a real top side. Congratulations on walking a league with the likes of Yeovil & Bournemouth in whilst being bankrolled by a wealthy owner.

Given all you've got to your name in the last 40 years is a 1st div & 2nd division title I don't think you can really hark about being a big side, like forest still banging on about winning the european cup (and unlike yourselves they did actually win it), and frankly that's rather disrespectful to the likes of Bournemouth (who still have a shot at the play-offs).

Oh, and while I won't deny the thais have spent before, this squad is a tight, and been built on the relative cheap (not a yeovil/barnsley budget, but far from a high budget, even at championship level). This last financial year and season have been cost cutting measures in general, with some spending to secure the clubs future. The big spending Leicester line hasn't been relevant since October 2011 and is just the sign of fans who are bitter that we're doing well.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest