The Student Room Group

Fine Art Applicants and Universities 2014!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Original post by HelveticaBold
Yeah, I'd like more people than just the artistic elite to be able to get something from my work. I'm really interested in how art can effect people, so that's quite important to me.
I'd say my interview was still intense/intimidating but it a very different way. Instead of a barrage of questions, the tutors stayed pretty much silent throughout the entire first half (not even a hello at the beginning). However, a lot of the questions other people seem to have been asked, such as why they used certain colours/materials or how they want people to view the work, are things I brought up anyway.
I think the only question they asked that I didn't have a direct answer for was 'Why do you paint men?', because there isn't a specific reason why I paint men. Two of the paintings featured well known figures, David Lynch and Charles Darwin, who I was using more as an archetype, but they just happened to be men. I used to use women a lot, and people often misinterpreted my paintings as being feminist, which wasn't my thinking behind them at all, so I think I've moved towards men to make my intentions clearer.

When you're actually in there the time just flies by and I think you're focused too much on the interview to be nervous. I don't think my interview went badly, I just have no idea if it went well, haha.

That does sound intimidating! I think I'd just end up rambling and losing track if they said nothing.
Oh well, there's not much point worrying, I'll just have to take it as it comes!
Reply 461
I agree. I think they've sent the definite offers/rejects and now they're deciding between the rest of us.
Does anyone know people who have been rejected? So far I haven't heard of any.

wait- have rejections or the courses been made after the interviews too? I thought it was only offers
Original post by omifeeney
That does sound intimidating! I think I'd just end up rambling and losing track if they said nothing.
Oh well, there's not much point worrying, I'll just have to take it as it comes!

Because I was talking about each piece individually, I'd just say all I sad to say, pause for questions then move on. If you find yourself rambling, maybe try to change the topic a little bit, or focus on another piece. Good luck!

Original post by AlPalm
wait- have rejections or the courses been made after the interviews too? I thought it was only offers

I've only heard of offers, but that doesn't mean they've only sent out offers. It is possible that they haven't rejected anyone yet, as they don't want to make that commitment at this stage, haha.
Reply 463
I've only heard of offers, but that doesn't mean they've only sent out offers. It is possible that they haven't rejected anyone yet, as they don't want to make that commitment at this stage, haha.

From what the receptionist has said they haven't been releasing the results in any particular order. However I also haven't heard of anyone being rejected so far.
Reply 464
Do you mind me asking how/why it was gruelling? I have my interview for goldsmiths on Tuesday , so it would be helpful to have some insight!

Do you mind me asking how/why it was gruelling? I have my interview for goldsmiths on Tuesday , so it would be helpful to have some insight!

Is your interview still for art and art history?
whyy is this damn process thaat long
Good luck
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 465
Original post by aasdaf
Good luck

My interview is for BA Fine art
Reply 466
Original post by aasdaf
Good luck

I had an interview for the joint honours earlier this week. Who interviewed you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 467
Goldsmiths really does seem to be a mixed bag. It's hard to tell what they thought, but I got the same impression you did (although I was for single honers). Good luck.

yeah, I know they have to be impartial and formal, but mine were just cold. It felt like I wasn't giving the right answers to anything! Bit stilted. I don;t think I was confrontational enough either - I think they are looking for really edgy people! Hey ho - everyone is an experience.
Original post by arty
Hi. I had my joint honours goldsmiths interview! Bit of a weird one. Didn't really get to talk about the things I wanted to. Don't think I was quite what they were looking for. They didn't talk about art history at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope it went well! Don't fret about it though because I'm guessing that's how we all feel after the interview as it was rather strange. Just as long as you answered their questions its all that matters. But well done and good luck! We'll have to let each otherknow when we get a reply haha :smile:
Reply 469
Original post by AndyHoccom
I hope it went well! Don't fret about it though because I'm guessing that's how we all feel after the interview as it was rather strange. Just as long as you answered their questions its all that matters. But well done and good luck! We'll have to let each otherknow when we get a reply haha :smile:

Yeah - she said it will take a while :/
How many people interviewed you? Did you have the programme leader?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 470
Did UCL say that they would send out rejections/offers by today?!?
anijn;c'nobih ;va`dcml'on
Original post by AlPalm
Did UCL say that they would send out rejections/offers by today?!?
anijn;c'nobih ;va`dcml'on

Yes, they did. This is supposed to be their final day for making decisions, but if they aren't sent to UCAS until late in the day then we might not get them until tomorrow. I think that what Will01 was told (that not all decisions have been sent to UCAS yet) is probably correct as I would have thought they would have all been processed by now.
I'm trying to refrain from phoning Slade again.
Reply 472
Yes, they did. This is supposed to be their final day for making decisions, but if they aren't sent to UCAS until late in the day then we might not get them until tomorrow. I think that what Will01 was told (that not all decisions have been sent to UCAS yet) is probably correct as I would have thought they would have all been processed by now.
I'm trying to refrain from phoning Slade again.

hahaha oh ok- thanks for letting me know! good luck to you!
Original post by arty
Yeah - she said it will take a while :/
How many people interviewed you? Did you have the programme leader?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not entirely sure who I had but I think I had the course leader along with a tutor and a third year student. They said to me that for joint honours we should hear by this week :') but seen as they still have interviews going I'm guessing that wasn't completely correct.
Original post by AndyHoccom
I'm not entirely sure who I had but I think I had the course leader along with a tutor and a third year student. They said to me that for joint honours we should hear by this week :') but seen as they still have interviews going I'm guessing that wasn't completely correct.

I was for the single honers, but I was also told we'd probably hear back this week.
F**k! Just got a rejection from Slade. :frown:
Reply 476
Just got a rejection from Slade too :/
Reply 477
join the club! Its alright- it was so competitive, we did well just getting to the interview stage.
Do you guys have any artwork online? ima intrested:smile:
Reply 478
By the way, did you guys do a foundation course? do you think it matters much?
Original post by AlPalm
join the club! Its alright- it was so competitive, we did well just getting to the interview stage.
Do you guys have any artwork online? ima intrested:smile:

I've posted my flickr before, but here it is: https://www.flickr.com/photos/102018525@N04/sets/72157639981505374/ :smile:
I promised myself I wouldn't re-apply next year (I'd be applying for the 3rd time) but now the rejection is a reality I'm totally considering it. :/

Do you have any artwork online?

Original post by kkkkkks
By the way, did you guys do a foundation course? do you think it matters much?

I'm on a Foundation. If you haven't done one and would like to try again for Slade I'd recommend it as it's what most people do. It gives you a second shot.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest