The Student Room Group

Gcse maths early entry 2014 help

This poll is closed

Do you think I should do early entry maths?

Yes 50%
No50%
Total votes: 2
THIS IS URGENT

So i'm in year 10 right now and my maths teacher asked me if I would want to enter the maths gcse exam early.

I'm confused as to what to do.

If I were to take the exam and not get the grade I wanted, would I be able to resit?

Would resitting the exam have a negative effect on the rest of my life? I typically want to go into medicine so I'm scared that some universities or sixth forms may not like that.

I'm also doing additional maths so if I do my maths gcse now, I can concentrate on additional maths in classes rather than just after school.

I'M ANXIOUS AND I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO HELP ME PLEASE :frown::frown:
I think you are stressing too much, just do it and besides gcse's are not that important
you can resit it and no i dont think resits show up or if there is anyway of a uni knowing if you have done a resit , i would say do some past papers if you get a's or a*'s then i would say go for it but i would strongly recommend doing a gcse in statistics rather than additional maths because additional maths is an fsmq not a gcse unis will not look at it once you have an a level in maths and i know people who were so smart at maths and got a* but in additional maths they failed , but yh i think the best way of knowing is by doing some past papers
Unless you are confident that you can receive the top grade this year, I would not suggest it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did my GCSE maths early last year and want to go into medicine, like you :smile: There are a few things to consider.
-Do you think you can achieve an A/A*? Because if you don't there isn't really a benefit to doing it early, as you may be able to improve and get an A/A* at normal time
-How many GCSEs will you be taking in the summer of year 11, full GCSEs, not short courses or FSMQs, as some universities will not count GCSEs taken early (Sheffield are known for this). They will accept that you have GCSE maths however, its just that say the requirement was 6 As, you would need to obtain 6 As in summer of year 11, as well as your A/A* in maths early. That said, the majority of medical schools won't care about early GCSEs.
-What are you planning on doing after your GCSE? I know you said additional maths, but that is a FSMQ, and there are other qualifications which will be more beneficial, such as GCSE Statistics (I am studying this now, so PM me if you need any help). I know may people take AS early, after GCSE, however for medicine this can cause problems, so unless you really, really want to take it early and are willing to cut some universities out who won't accept it, then I wouldn't advise early AS.
PM me if you have any other questions ! :smile:
Original post by Ginger_Gymnast92
I did my GCSE maths early last year and want to go into medicine, like you :smile: There are a few things to consider.
-Do you think you can achieve an A/A*? Because if you don't there isn't really a benefit to doing it early, as you may be able to improve and get an A/A* at normal time
-How many GCSEs will you be taking in the summer of year 11, full GCSEs, not short courses or FSMQs, as some universities will not count GCSEs taken early (Sheffield are known for this). They will accept that you have GCSE maths however, its just that say the requirement was 6 As, you would need to obtain 6 As in summer of year 11, as well as your A/A* in maths early. That said, the majority of medical schools won't care about early GCSEs.
-What are you planning on doing after your GCSE? I know you said additional maths, but that is a FSMQ, and there are other qualifications which will be more beneficial, such as GCSE Statistics (I am studying this now, so PM me if you need any help). I know may people take AS early, after GCSE, however for medicine this can cause problems, so unless you really, really want to take it early and are willing to cut some universities out who won't accept it, then I wouldn't advise early AS.
PM me if you have any other questions ! :smile:

Hey! Thank you so much. I decided not to do it as it was all too much at once for me. My teacher only gave me one night to decide for some reason :/

I think i'm going to do GCSE Statistics but that starts in Year 11 i think. I'm planning on doing atleast two of the sciences after GCSE (Chemistry and Biology I think) and Maths. Still quite decisiveness. Thanks for your help!
Original post by saharahasnolife
Hey! Thank you so much. I decided not to do it as it was all too much at once for me. My teacher only gave me one night to decide for some reason :/

I think i'm going to do GCSE Statistics but that starts in Year 11 i think. I'm planning on doing atleast two of the sciences after GCSE (Chemistry and Biology I think) and Maths. Still quite decisiveness. Thanks for your help!

Original post by saharahasnolife

Thats okay, good luck with statistics, I think you'll be fine, its easier than GCSE Maths :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending