The Student Room Group

Thoughts on rape culture?

The fact that some people don't believe in rape culture still astounds me- I was wondering why some people think it's untrue?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lack of evidence for it along with the fact that I live in a culture where rapists are despised as the lowest of the low equivalent to murderers.
Rape culture is a nonsensical term .There's no such thing.

Edit: Give evidence for.
Reply 3
Because the truth hurts.

INB4 "There's no such thing as rape culture it's all just the delusions of feminists" brigade
There are many different types of rape tho!
Most people think rape culture is the idea that men are encouraged to become weirdoes and attack women on street corners. This is not what rape culture is.

In reality over 90% of rape happens by friends or dates or boyfriends, it happens in our homes or after clubs and it restricts and puts blame on the woman.

The robin thick lyric "I know you want it, I know you want it, coz you're a good girl" is honestly terrifying!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zoemilton
There are many different types of rape tho!
Most people think rape culture is the idea that men are encouraged to become weirdoes and attack women on street corners. This is not what rape culture is.

In reality over 90% of rape happens by friends or dates or boyfriends, it happens in our homes or after clubs and it restricts and puts blame on the woman.

The robin thick lyric "I know you want it, I know you want it, coz you're a good girl" is honestly terrifying!

what is rape culture then?
there being different types of rape doesn't mean there's a 'rape culture' it just means there are different ways to rape someone just like there's different types of killing someone
rape being commonly perpetrated by someone known to the victim isn't rape culture, it's the same with other crimes such as murder
people don't blame women, giving women some safety advice is not blaming them
and yeah those song lyrics are a bit gross but plenty of singers/rappers have lyrics which are offensive in some manner, eminem has a song where he murders his wife, doesn't mean we live in a spousal murder culture

rape culture is a ridiculous and nonsensical thing made up by feminists who either can't find enough actual problems to campaign against or are too stupid to come up with intelligent arguements about real problems
Reply 6
Original post by doodle_333
what is rape culture then?
there being different types of rape doesn't mean there's a 'rape culture' it just means there are different ways to rape someone just like there's different types of killing someone
rape being commonly perpetrated by someone known to the victim isn't rape culture, it's the same with other crimes such as murder
people don't blame women, giving women some safety advice is not blaming them
and yeah those song lyrics are a bit gross but plenty of singers/rappers have lyrics which are offensive in some manner, eminem has a song where he murders his wife, doesn't mean we live in a spousal murder culture

rape culture is a ridiculous and nonsensical thing made up by feminists who either can't find enough actual problems to campaign against or are too stupid to come up with intelligent arguements about real problems

http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Rape_culture

there, I googled it for you. And your last sentence pretty much sums up why your views on feminism perhaps shouldn't be taken at face value - have you so little respect for your fellow human beings that you reduce their arguments to "made up" or "stupid"? Pur-leeze.
Reply 7
The fact that some people don't believe in rape culture still astounds me- I was wondering why some people think it's untrue?

Doesn't exist in this country. If you think it does, then you're either paranoid or ignorant of the law and also the stigma that gets put on those merely accused of rape.

I suppose it does depend on your definition of rape culture though. If it's merely "Rape happens in this country" then yes of course you're right, but by the more usual definition of "Rape is condoned and encouraged in this country" you'd be completely wrong.
Reply 8
Um not really :dontknow:

Just people talk about it more.

In the past if you were raped you wouldn't tell anyone.
It's not necessarily the ACT of rape that is considered rape culture!

It's the idea that people (mainly girls) that sleep around can only blame themselves for getting raped, it's the fact that if my sister can't breastfeed her child in public in case it distracts the men, it's the idea that a drunk girl wearing revealing clothes would be shamed for attracting rapists.

Girls are taught not to get raped! Rather than teaching people NOT to rape.

It's victim blaming that softens the blow of rape and is perpetuated by our society that dictates all girls are shy and play hard to get, and that guys can be persuasive (coercion) or take charge (intimidate) girls to have sex with them.

Not all rape happens when girls are held down and throttled, the vast majority of it occurs when girls are too scared to move or talk.
Reply 10

Girls are taught not to get raped! Rather than teaching people NOT to rape.

In the same way people are taught how to avoid getting migged, or having their car stolen. Telling people not to commit a crime is often not very effective, but telling people how tthey can be safer often is.
I don't think "rape culture" exists.
Reply 12
Let's look at culture shall we?

1. the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively.

No-one would consider rape a 'manifestation of human intellect', and no-one would consider it part of 'art'.

the ideas, customs, and social behavior of a particular people or society.

Rape is not a socially accepted idea, nor a social custom, nor a social behavior in this society, so this is a no.

The response of some of the posters astounds me. 'Rape Culture exists, and if you say it doesn't you are a deluded rape apologist'.

It seems that in some people's minds, rape culture DEFINITELY exists, and women are DEFINITELY not responsible, so where does that leave us? All men are responsible for rape? All men are equally to blame? Or my favorite from a past thread, all men are possible rapists? This is insulting to men, irrational and erroneous, born out of twisting false statistics, and a paranoid, pessimistic, cynical world view.

Original post by Messalina
Because the truth hurts.

INB4 "There's no such thing as rape culture it's all just the delusions of feminists" brigade

Equating the existence of a crime to a culture of that crime is ridiculous. There are murders. Does that mean there is a murder culture? No. There are thefts. Does that mean there is a theft culture? No.

As the ones claiming it exists, the onus is on you to explain why you think this is the case.
Original post by tengentoppa
Equating the existence of a crime to a culture of that crime is ridiculous. There are murders. Does that mean there is a murder culture? No. There are thefts. Does that mean there is a theft culture? No.

As the ones claiming it exists, the onus is on you to explain why you think this is the case.

Why bother? If you gave a flying ****, you'd go google it yourself. Why should I waste my time trying to convince some stranger behind a computer screen of something that they're immediately going to discredit and ignore? Better things to do. Go google it yourself if you're interested, but you're not, you're interested in saying that it doesn't exist.
Reply 15
Well,
A) Rape is a crime in Britain at least.
B) I've never seen a rapist who wasn't demonized when their activities became apparent (Jimmy Saville's a good recent example).
C) There's really no evidence that it exists
D) Everyone that has ever said it exists is a crackpot feminazi

Edit:
I'd just like to add that there's probably societies elsewhere that could vaguely be described as such. Britain isn't one of them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by james22
In the same way people are taught how to avoid getting migged, or having their car stolen. Telling people not to commit a crime is often not very effective, but telling people how tthey can be safer often is.

Trufax. If some guy wants my wallet, regardless of how many times he's told that stealing is bad, he's gonna try to take my wallet. Therefore, it makes sense for people to give me advice on how to conceal my wallet or make it more difficult to take. Analogies, yo!

Rape is bad, and everyone knows it. Those who rape do so knowing that they are breaking the law and no amount of telling them otherwise will do anything, so the next logical step is to give people advice on how to avoid being raped. Makes sense to me, I guess it goes over OPs head...
I was raised to believe that the two worst things were abusing women and abusing children (feminist mother, traditional old school type grandparents probably had a lot to do with it) and that's ok in my mind, but unless people's upbringings have been vastly different to my own, I find it hard to believe that society accepts rape as anything than despicable.
Original post by BenAssirati
Let's look at culture shall we?

1. the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively.

No-one would consider rape a 'manifestation of human intellect', and no-one would consider it part of 'art'.

the ideas, customs, and social behavior of a particular people or society.

Rape is not a socially accepted idea, nor a social custom, nor a social behavior in this society, so this is a no.

The response of some of the posters astounds me. 'Rape Culture exists, and if you say it doesn't you are a deluded rape apologist'.

It seems that in some people's minds, rape culture DEFINITELY exists, and women are DEFINITELY not responsible, so where does that leave us? All men are responsible for rape? All men are equally to blame? Or my favorite from a past thread, all men are possible rapists? This is insulting to men, irrational and erroneous, born out of twisting false statistics, and a paranoid, pessimistic, cynical world view.

I, as a feminist, DO NOT believe all men are responsible for rape! I believe the majority of men are good, nice people that wouldn't take a drunk girl back to his house. I do however believe that rape crimes are not taken seriously by both sexes and the police.

97% of all rapists are not convicted. This is because the judicial system leans towards victim blaming and the idea that not saying NO= yes.
Reply 19
97% of all rapists are not convicted. This is because the judicial system leans towards victim blaming and the idea that not saying NO= yes.

Could you in any way back this up?

Bearing in mind that there's no such thing as retro-rape

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending