The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maths Tutor
LYING YET AGAIN. YOU REALLY HAVE NO SHAME.

0% of the UK National Debt is "ours".

The markets have already forced the UK to guarantee 100% of the UK National Debt.

Even your hero L i b has admitted that.

Any sharing of the debt will be an INTERNAL ARRANGEMENT between independent Scotland and rUK - absolutely nothing to do with the markets.

A fair deal will be welcomed by all. But an independent Scotland will NOT be bullied by rUK, that is for sure.

You're in another planet.

How have we been bullied?
Do you mean the "reality" that 52% is just under 2/3rds (67%)???

The people of Scotland have seen right through this "reality".

The people of Scotland?

I do wish you'd stop using such grandiose language. The yes campaign have never been above 40% other than last Augusta spurious SNP commissioned panelbase poll.
Reply 7682
Original post by Stalin
In this day and age it's almost impossible to avoid getting into debt as a new country.

Terrorism is a major issue, but being part of NATO isn't going to solve it. In fact, it would appear that Ireland and Switzerland, which aren't NATO member states, are 'safer' than their NATO counterparts, precisely because they have nothing to do with an alliance which many of the Islamic fundamentalists seek to attack.

And I'll level with you: how on earth, in 2014, can the European Union justify blocking Scotland's entry into the EC? We aren't talking about Albania, Turkey or Ukraine, but rather a newly independent country which is currently part of numerous European projects because of its partnership with the rUK.

Not only that, but on a renewable energy level, it would seem ridiculous and downright stupid to leave Scotland in the cold..

But it is the interest of both parties - Scotland and the rUK - to allow Scotland to retain the pound.

For starters, the IMF will cover Scotland's debt.

NATO isn't necessary to Scotland's security.

And the future of Scotland in Europe seems inevitable, whether it joins the EU is another question, though.

That's three.

You seem to underestimate Scotland's card: it won't accept its share of the debt.

Besides, it isn't far-fetched to imagine that Scotland would be able to forge strong trade agreements with the rest of the world. For starters, there's the oil and gas, renewable energy, whisky, agriculture, textiles, banking and tourism.

Not too shabby for a population of five million people.

On a side note, if Scotland becomes independent will you stay or move south?

There's a lot of opinion out there which oh suggests a currency union would not be in the best interests of the rUK, what are you basing your assertion on?

On the subject of the EU, Scotland would more than likely have to apply for membership of the EU upon independence as there have been serious donuts cast on the time-frame of negotiations in relation to treaty change. If that is the case, any country can veto membership for Scotland- if Scotland refuses to take on any of the national debt then the rUK could block such an application, as could any of the EU's other 27 member states.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7683
In other words, OR ELSE.

An independent Scotland is NOT going to be bullied by rUK.

C'est la vie. I've already spoken about this and yes, it is a matter of 'or else'. However, I remind you this is precisely the road the Scottish Government started to go down with currency union. It is up to them whether their first act as an independent state is a childish one which is against their own interests, ruins their relations with their most important neighbour, turns us into a global pariah state and gains us nothing in particular.

You want scaremongering? Well, this is something you should be genuinely terrified of.

And there is absolutely no way that an independent Scotland will be bullied into retaining weapons of mass destruction on the Clyde.

As Alex Salmond pointed out, that is NOT a bargaining point.

As I've pointed out then, the points made by the UK government minister are totally irrelevant to your argument then.
Reply 7684
Do you mean the "reality" that 52% is just under 2/3rds (67%)???

The people of Scotland have seen right through this "reality".

You're going to have to do better than that.

I seriously think you need to research these issues more; you are grossly misinformed and lack the adequate knowledge to properly form opinions on this subject to have an any credibility.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7685
You know very well of what I am talking about.

Believe it or not, most of us don't think about your bizarre rants for very long. They are instantly forgettable because they are of no consequence.
Original post by euphful
Please please stop. A currency is not a shared asset. The Bank of England will remain an institution of the continuing rUK. Please stop with this nonsense because it adds very little by way of fact.

It is upto you to decide what you regard as nonsense and what you regard as truth.

But have you ever heard about intangible assets?

Sterling and the Bank of England were built together - they are intangible assets and they are shared.

What will happen to the billions of pounds of UK Treasury bills held by the Bank of England?

Or don't you regard them as 'assets'?

Do you think they will also stay with rUK or will Scotland get a share?
Reply 7687
Original post by MatureStudent36
You're in another planet.

How have we been bullied?

Apparently the definition of bullying is 'refusing to act against your own interests by not helping people who are actively acting against your own interests too'.

It's a peculiar one, I admit. I can't say I'm surprised that the Scottish Government has started using the language of the playground, because that is where their politics lurks. Grudge, grievance, tribalism, separatism. If they hope to convince reasonable people that they could govern an independent Scotland sensibly, they've entirely failed.
Reply 7688
It is upto you to decide what you regard as nonsense and what you regard as truth.

Sterling and the Bank of England were built together - they are intangible assets and they are shared.

What will happen to the billions of pounds of UK Treasury bills held by the Bank of England?

Nobody is disputing that the BoE may contain assets that can be split. But the BoE and £Sterling is not an asset that can be divided. It will remain an institution if the rUK and the rUK has every right to say it does not want to enter in to a currency union with an independent Scotland; the UK government has every right to refuse to act as lender of last resort to an independent Scotland.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7689

Putting the word 'intangible' in there doesn't help your argument that they are somehow assets. You can talk about their tangibility till the cows come home, it is nothing other than a diversion. It's a bit like staying a sheep is a cow, being questioned on it, and responding with a lengthy and boring tirade about how you get white cows sometimes, and that this very woolly cow happens to be white.

Please point me to one single piece of authoritative international legal opinion that suggests a currency is an asset which is divisible in the event of a secession.

Our views are evidence based. Yours are not.
(edited 10 years ago)

After the white paper came out, I like many stopped believing what the SNP had to say. And that was after the fact that they his the truth from us to the tune of £20k on their mythical legal advice.

Salmonds approach now seems to be to just stir up resentment and wind the likes if you up.

I'm starting to feel that when a no vote is returned you'll end up moving to the Islands, wear Arun knit jumpers whilst living the life of a crafter and start radicalising yourself on AQ affiliated websites.

Hae you seem the poll at the top
Of your screen? I bet that makes you feel really angry.

Any comments about this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schoolreport/26767657
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by L i b
Believe it or not, most of us don't think about your bizarre rants for very long. They are instantly forgettable because they are of no consequence.

Why are the likes of you responding to my posts then????????

Because the likes of you have been caught lying time and again but have no shame whatsoever.

IF my posts really were "bizarre rants", then there would be no need at all for the likes of you to respond.

The likes of you can no longer take all of the people of Scotland for fools.

If the people of Scotland were believing Better Together's 'facts', the No side would have a massive lead now, not just a 52% share.

The conclusion is, the likes of you can rant as much as you like, the No share is 52%, AND GOING DOWN.

Even MatureStudent36's record has grudgingly moved from 30% to 40%.

Could you answer Stalin's question to you:

Original post by Stalin
On a side note, if Scotland becomes independent will you stay or move south?

If you don't, I will provide him with a reasoned answer!
Original post by L i b
Putting the word 'intangible' in there doesn't help your argument that they are somehow assets. You can talk about their tangibility till the cows come home, it is nothing other than a diversion. It's a bit like staying a sheep is a cow, being questioned on it, and responding with a lengthy and boring tirade about how you get white cows sometimes, and that this very woolly cow happens to be white.

Please point me to one single piece of authoritative international legal opinion that suggests a currency is an asset which is divisible in the event of a secession.

Our views are evidence based. Yours are not.

By definition, that WAS a BIZARRE RANT.
Reply 7694

It seems pretty reasonable to me, and doesn't rely on unnecessary capitalisation to get a point across...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why are the likes of you responding to my posts then????????

Because the likes of you have been caught lying time and again but have no shame whatsoever.

IF my posts really were "bizarre rants", then there would be no need at all for the likes of you to respond.

The likes of you can no longer take all of the people of Scotland for fools.

If the people of Scotland were believing Better Together's 'facts', the No side would have a massive lead now, not just a 52% share.

The conclusion is, the likes of you can rant as much as you like, the No share is 52%, AND GOING DOWN.

Even MatureStudent36's record has grudgingly moved from 30% to 40%.

Could you answer Stalin's question to you:

If you don't, I will provide him with a reasoned answer!

You're still very shouty aren't you?

This time next week all if your posts will be in block capitals again.

Do you actually believe everything you read on newsnetscotland without question?
Original post by abbii
They want our money, we want their oil. And even if that weren't the case, no-one would do anything because they don't want the hassle of something with a distinct chance of turning into a civil war.

The incredibly narrow minded and untrue view painted by the Scottish leader. Brilliant.
Original post by L i b
It's a bit like staying a sheep is a cow, being questioned on it, and responding with a lengthy and boring tirade about how you get white cows sometimes, and that this very woolly cow happens to be white.

Original post by euphful
It seems pretty reasonable to me, and doesn't rely on unnecessary capitalisation to get a point across...

Ok, I will leave you 'reasonable', 'rational' anti-Scottish Independence posters to carry on the debate among yourselves.

The reasoning that 52% is just under 2/3rds (67%) is beyond me!

I'll have to become Johann Lamont's student for understanding such wonderful reasoning!
Reply 7698
Ok, I will leave you 'reasonable', 'rational' anti-Scottish Independence posters to carry on the debate among yourselves.

I'll have to become Johann Lamont's student for understanding such wonderful reasoning!

Can I just say I'm not anti-independence at all. I fully support the principles of self-determination and I don't doubt that Scotland would be fine if it did go independent.

What I am against is the distortion of fact and reality by the SNP in a desperate attempt to win. I genuinely think they'd have decent chance of a 'yes' vote if they were open and honest on issues like the EU, currency union, NATO and such like. As it is, they expect people to believe that Scotland will be able to dictate terms to the rest of the world, which just won't happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you always been so angry?

Any comment on this?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-26520067

Latest

Trending

Trending