The Student Room Group

If you have a DEGREE!!! - Do you results show or the overall on the Paper?

Hello

For those who have a Degree

On the Final paper/results sheet

Does it say 2:1 or w.e or does it say 2:1 and then a list of the course options???

Thank You
Not sure if it depends on the institution, but if you're referring to the degree certificate you're given at your graduation ceremony, then it only shows your overall classification and not individual module/year marks and no list of what modules you chose to do.
Reply 2
Just the classification, I believe.

Although, a lot of employers (particularly on grad schemes) ask for full transcripts.
I've not graduated yet, but I believe that your certificate just shows the classification, and a separate transcript shows all your module marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Transcripts are typically the document people look for, and they list every single grade in every single module you took.

Doesn't mean people will read it.

One thing to note though: Even though some credits may not be counted towards honours classification, the grades may still contribute to your cGPA. Not sure if that applies to everybody though.
Original post by clh_hilary
Transcripts are typically the document people look for, and they list every single grade in every single module you took.

Doesn't mean people will read it.

One thing to note though: Even though some credits may not be counted towards honours classification, the grades may still contribute to your cGPA. Not sure if that applies to everybody though.

Except that GPA / cGPA doesn't exist in the UK!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
Except that GPA / cGPA doesn't exist in the UK!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right, then no. Would there still be average?

I can only speak from my experience with HKU. My first year does not count for an honours classification, but they contribute to my cGPA.

The weighted GPA is not listed anywhere. Though they do have all the semester GPAs.
Oh right, then no. Would there still be average?

I can only speak from my experience with HKU. My first year does not count for an honours classification, but they contribute to my cGPA.

The weighted GPA is not listed anywhere. Though they do have all the semester GPAs.

There's a degree classification, which is a First / 2.1 / 2.2 / Third / Ordinary.

It's based on a non-equal averaging of your grades eg my degree first year doesn't count, second year counts for 25% and third year counts for 75% of my degree classification.

Unlike the US system (not sure how similar this is to HK though), grades for each module are heavily or exclusively based on one final exam per module, and maybe one bit of coursework too - there's much less emphasis on continuous assessment

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
There's a degree classification, which is a First / 2.1 / 2.2 / Third / Ordinary.

It's based on a non-equal averaging of your grades eg my degree first year doesn't count, second year counts for 25% and third year counts for 75% of my degree classification.

Unlike the US system (not sure how similar this is to HK though), grades for each module are heavily or exclusively based on one final exam per module, and maybe one bit of coursework too - there's much less emphasis on continuous assessment

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know about that, I just don't remember that UK doesn't have GPAs. HKU has both GPAs and honours classification.

I mean I'm not sure if there will be another figure on the final transcript for an average.

Whether Hong Kong has the modules based more on course work or summatives depends heavily on the programme/courses and university you go into.
Reply 9
Your degree just says your overall classification. However, an employer or someone can also ask for your transcript, which will state your individual module grades (and also if you had to retake anything).
Reply 10
I know about that, I just don't remember that UK doesn't have GPAs. HKU has both GPAs and honours classification.

I mean I'm not sure if there will be another figure on the final transcript for an average.

Whether Hong Kong has the modules based more on course work or summatives depends heavily on the programme/courses and university you go into.

If you apply for legal vacation schemes or training contracts, you will, almost invariably, be asked to provide a full transcript. Obviously, this is a very specific instance, but still.
Original post by Iridescenzo
If you apply for legal vacation schemes or training contracts, you will, almost invariably, be asked to provide a full transcript. Obviously, this is a very specific instance, but still.

I think most jobs ask for your transcript. Degree certificates, on the other hand, are not always needed.

Quick Reply

Latest