The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Imperial, LSE and UCL are the only ones I can think of right now :smile:
Those were the three I was gonna suggest! :yep:

It really depends why you are asking though. Certain unis will have strong reputations in certain subjects, e.g. Warwick for Maths :yes:
Imperial
London School of Economics
University College London
King's College London
University of Edinburgh
Institute of Education, University of London
University of St Andrews

Actually you can just choose from one the Russell Groups unless you want to go for IoE LDN (which is going to be merged with UCL anyway).
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Those were the three I was gonna suggest! :yep:

It really depends why you are asking though. Certain unis will have strong reputations in certain subjects, e.g. Warwick for Maths :yes:

S/he asked for it being prestigious though.
Reply 5
Original post by pateknautilus
Hi guys,

I am an internaitonal student, was wondering what are some well known and prestigious universities in the UK besides Oxford and Cambridge?

In London: LSE, UCL, ICL, King's college.

Elsewhere in England: Warwick, Bristol, Durham, Liverpool, Manchester.

Scotland: St Andrews (since the graduation of the royal prince), Glasgow, Aberdeen, Edinburgh.

However it depends of the subject (Math for Warwick, Physics for Manchester, Economics for LSE, etc.).
Original post by clh_hilary
S/he asked for it being prestigious though.

Is Warwick not prestigious for Maths, then? I just assumed it was :tongue:
Reply 7
Any of the Russell Group Universities - http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/our-universities/

Hi guys,

I am an internaitonal student, was wondering what are some well known and prestigious universities in the UK besides Oxford and Cambridge?

They are well known with a good reputation, but when I read prestigious I think status and history.

Warwick is too green for that.

Perhaps Durham would be better but I know very little about it.
Reply 9
Is Imperial well known?
Reply 10

From France, Warwick is known for being very strong in Maths - and I'm a history student.
Original post by clh_hilary
They are well known with a good reputation, but when I read prestigious I think status and history.

Warwick is too green for that.

Perhaps Durham would be better but I know very little about it.

Fair enough. You and I have different measures of prestige then. Though to be fair, my measure of university prestige is "has Aunty X and Uncle Y in Sri Lanka, heard of this uni?" :teehee:

Not sure if Warwick fulfils that criteria, tbh :tongue:

Is Imperial well known?

Yes, very well known. Or at least it's very well known in Sri Lanka (where I originate from), so I'd assume it's the same across the rest of the world :h:

Original post by Josb
From France, Warwick is known for being very strong in Maths - and I'm a history student.

Ah, cool! That's interesting to hear - cheers :smile:
Reply 12
Any of the Russell Group Universities (which includes Oxford and Cambridge) - http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/our-universities/
Is Warwick or LSE better than Imperial, reputation wise? Both internationally and in UK.
Reply 14
Is Warwick or LSE better than Imperial, reputation wise? Both internationally and in UK.

It depends of your subject and level of study?
I mean generally speaking
Reply 16
Imperial one of the best places in the country for STEM. Warwick good for a number of subjects, including Maths, Law, Philosophy. LSE - London School of Economic and Political Science - good for Economics, Law, Political Science etc.
Reply 17
I mean generally speaking

You'll be fine in either of them.:wink:

From France, I think LSE is more prestigious, but the choice of subjects is limited (only social sciences).

However, I really advise you not to make a choice solely on 'prestige'. I would even say the reputation of the department is more important.
Reply 18
Imperial is consistently ranked alongside Oxford and Cambridge in University rankings. Recent top 10 Universities in World Ranking completed by the Times Educational Supplement had 1. Oxford, 2. Cambridge, 3. Imperial. 4. University College London, 5 LSE, 6. King's College London, 7. Edinburgh, 8. Manchester, 9. Bristol, 10. Durham.
Is Imperial well known?

Definately....in all the world university ranking sites, it's nearly always in the top 15....

Latest

Trending

Trending