The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Welcome to King's College London's Official Q&A on The Student Room!

We'll be live on the site from Monday 31st March Friday 4th April, from 9 am to 5 pm GMT, with current King's students and staff answering your questions about life at King's, living in London, our campuses, facilities and accommodations and programmes! If you have any questions, post them in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we're live on Monday 31st March.

If you're interested in visiting King's, pre-register now for our summer Open Days.

We look forward to chatting with you over the coming weeks and answering your questions. Click here to ask your question in our Q&A forum.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I was wondering if you could tell me more about studying medicine at kings? and what is it about studying medicine at kings that differs from other prestigious universities?

ps. do you do live dissection?

Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Hi 08sali2,

Well, there's so much to say about studying Medicine at King's! :smile: Definitely send me follow up questions because I'm just going to give you an overview right here:

So, as a medical student at King’s you will enjoy the resources of one of the world’s top research-led universities and a network of teaching hospitals throughout south east England, including three of London’s most successful hospitals. King’s Health Partners is a pioneering collaboration between King’s College London and Guy’s and St Thomas’, King’s College Hospital and South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trusts.

King’s College London was founded in 1829 and is today ranked as one of the world’s top 30 universities. It is the largest centre for the education of doctors, dentists and other healthcare professionals in Europe. Today the School of Medicine has a faculty of 550 academic staff organised within 12 research and teaching divisions which have internationally renowned research programmes in cardiovascular, cancer, asthma and allergy, transplantation, genetics, immunology and infectious diseases, diabetes and nutritional sciences, women’s health and imaging sciences.

The School’s campuses are co-located next to our NHS partner hospitals. Guy’s Campus stands alongside the London Bridge Quarter, an area which has been transformed by the iconic Shard the tallest building in Western Europe. St Thomas’ Campus is located along the River Thames, opposite the Houses of Parliament. It is a five-minute walk from Waterloo Campus and the cultural hub that is the South Bank. King’s College Hospital is based on the Denmark Hill Campus in Camberwell.

The hospital has one of the UK’s busiest Accident and Emergency Departments in London and since 2012 has been the subject of the fly-on-the-wall Channel 4 documentary 24 Hours in A&E.

This might be a helpful resource for you to get more information about medicine at King's.

And yes, we do offer dissection and prosection.

Hope this was a helpful starting point for you. Let me know if you have any other questions :smile:

Thanks,
Sabi
Why is it taking soooooooooo very long to let interviewees know the outcome of their interviews, the process is very opaque and causes stress and worry. It potentially impacts on studies when waiting over 4 months to find out the outcome ...........the comment is in no way intended to be a criticism, but your help is sought to ease the situation..... By the way I am medicine applicant still waiting to know.... It would be inhuman to tell me that I have been rejected after waiting so long!!
Hi there! I have a question :smile:

I have an unconditional offer from KCL for medicine (A100) and have had my heart set on KCL for the past two years so I'm thrilled.

However, I've heard bad things about student satisfaction due to such a large cohort of students, a lack of feedback and unorganised placements.

My problem is that I'm torn between Bart's and King's at the moment

Please could you persuade me to firm to kings instead of my other offers. - I hear there's a new dean. Will this improve the student satisfaction?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr. Aco Malfoy
Hi there! I have a question :smile:

I have an unconditional offer from KCL for medicine (A100) and have had my heart set on KCL for the past two years so I'm thrilled.

However, I've heard bad things about student satisfaction due to such a large cohort of students, a lack of feedback and unorganised placements.

My problem is that I'm torn between Bart's and King's at the moment

Please could you persuade me to firm to kings instead of my other offers. - I hear there's a new dean. Will this improve the student satisfaction?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Dr. Aco Malfoy,
Congratulations on your offer! :smile:

Firstly, King’s is a great place to study medicine. Our students tell us that they value the clinical experience at our hospitals (which include our 3 primary NHS Partner Trusts GSTT, KCH and SLAM as well as a network of district general hospitals), our breadth of SSCs and intercalated BScs as well as our first class facilities which includes state of the art simulation centres and our dedicated Virtual Campus for health students. However we recognise that there are areas of the programme that need improving. Professor Stuart Carney was appointed as Dean of Medical Education at the beginning of this academic year and is progressing a detailed action plan. Changes are already being implemented and Professor Carney is working closely with the Medical Student Association (the student representative body) to ensure that the School engages with students better.

One of the biggest differences between King’s and QMUL is that King’s is one of only 6 UK accredited Academic Health Sciences Centres (QMUL/Barts is not an AHSC) known as King’s Health Partners. The role of AHSCs is to bring together NHS organisations and their university partners in world-class research, health education and patient care. To be among a small number accredited as an AHSC for a second time, is acknowledgement of our progress in this mission and our reputation.

Last but not least, King’s continues to rise in world subject ranking for medicine - 19th in the world this year (QS World University Ranking). This is real recognition of our world class research and researchers which include the clinicians and academics who will be teaching you. QMUL is placed 51-100 (at this end of the scale, QS do not publish individual positions).

I hope this gives you some food for thought –we really hope you choose King’s!

Thx
Sabi
Original post by Waiting123456
Why is it taking soooooooooo very long to let interviewees know the outcome of their interviews, the process is very opaque and causes stress and worry. It potentially impacts on studies when waiting over 4 months to find out the outcome ...........the comment is in no way intended to be a criticism, but your help is sought to ease the situation..... By the way I am medicine applicant still waiting to know.... It would be inhuman to tell me that I have been rejected after waiting so long!!

Hi Waiting123456,
Thank you for your patience. We realise this is a very stressful time for applicants and we're doing our best to communicate our decisions as soon as we possibly can. As you may know, admission to a large majority of College’s programmes is highly competitive, especially to Medicine, and this means that unfortunately it takes time to consider each application and interview. We are working to finalise our decisions and you can expect to hear from us soon.

We wish you the best of luck and we're here if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Sabi
Original post by King’s College London
Hi Dr. Aco Malfoy,

Firstly, King’s is a great place to study medicine. Our students tell us that they value the clinical experience at our hospitals (which include our 3 primary NHS Partner Trusts GSTT, KCH and SLAM as well as a network of district general hospitals), our breadth of SSCs and intercalated BScs as well as our first class facilities which includes state of the art simulation centres and our dedicated Virtual Campus for health students. However we recognise that there are areas of the programme that need improving. Professor Stuart Carney was appointed as Dean of Medical Education at the beginning of this academic year and is progressing a detailed action plan. Changes are already being implemented and Professor Carney is working closely with the Medical Student Association (the student representative body) to ensure that the School engages with students better.

One of the biggest differences between King’s and QMUL is that King’s is one of only 6 UK accredited Academic Health Sciences Centres (QMUL/Barts is not an AHSC) known as King’s Health Partners. The role of AHSCs is to bring together NHS organisations and their university partners in world-class research, health education and patient care. To be among a small number accredited as an AHSC for a second time, is acknowledgement of our progress in this mission and our reputation.

Last but not least, King’s continues to rise in world subject ranking for medicine - 19th in the world this year (QS World University Ranking). This is real recognition of our world class research and researchers which include the clinicians and academics who will be teaching you. QMUL is placed 51-100 (at this end of the scale, QS do not publish individual positions).

I hope this gives you some food for thought –we really hope you choose King’s!

Thx
Sabi

Thanks! That's really helpful.

Are you a current KCL medic? If so how do you find it (I.e. the university itself and its teaching)?

Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by King’s College London
x

Hi, I'm in a similar position to Dr. Aco Malfoy. KCL has been my favourite medical school since I first visited last summer, but I also have an offer from Newcastle and I want to consider both carefully.

Firstly, will KCL be having another open day for offer-holders? It seems a bit unfair that the "exceptional" candidates who received offers a couple of weeks after their interview got to come to an offer-holders open day, but the "pooled" applicants don't seem to have one.

Secondly, could you tell me more about how the issues with organisation and student satisfaction are being resolved? This is something that gets mentioned a lot so I'd like to be reassured that I would have no problems with it if I were to firm Kings. :smile:

Thanks in advance!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Hi, I have an offer for the BSc physiotherapy course at Kings and I'm struggling to choose between Kings and Salford; and I just have a few questions about the course in general.
Firstly, do clinical placements take place during term-time over the 3 years, or would they run into the summer holidays? How long are the terms and holidays roughly for the physio course?

Also, does the university organise all the placements or would I get to choose where to go for some part of it? How important is the university name itself when it comes to looking for a job after I graduate, as I know all courses are regulated by the CSP and should be at a similar standard?

Thank you in advance!
Original post by sarah2411
Hi, I have an offer for the BSc physiotherapy course at Kings and I'm struggling to choose between Kings and Salford; and I just have a few questions about the course in general.
Firstly, do clinical placements take place during term-time over the 3 years, or would they run into the summer holidays? How long are the terms and holidays roughly for the physio course?

Also, does the university organise all the placements or would I get to choose where to go for some part of it? How important is the university name itself when it comes to looking for a job after I graduate, as I know all courses are regulated by the CSP and should be at a similar standard?

Thank you in advance!

Hi Sarah2411,

Clinical placements take place both during term-time and over the summer in the 3rd year. There is a summer holiday for physiotherapy students but it is not as long as on some other courses. This will be the same on any physiotherapy degree. Term times can be found on our website.

The King’s name is definitely an advantage when getting jobs. A few years ago during a period of high unemployment of recent graduates, KCL qualified physios had approximately double the employment rate compared with the national average.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Sabi
Reply 11
Hi sabi
will kings be running the internal screening programme or any programs for its own graduates for medicine for 2015 entry ???

Your reply is eagerly anticipated ;-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Dr. Aco Malfoy
Thanks! That's really helpful.

Are you a current KCL medic? If so how do you find it (I.e. the university itself and its teaching#?

Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Dr. Aco Malfoy,

I'm Cassim and I'm currently a medical student at KCL.

I'm going to be completely open and honest whilst answering your question.

The university itself: - The location of the campuses are awesome! It's so useful being based in such convenient locations throughout London, honestly. It's very easy to commute to pretty much every campus, and the great location makes it really easy to find things to do with friends after a day of lectures or clinics. On top of that, KCL campuses tends to have some amazing features, such as the internationally famous pathology museum (The Gordon Museum) and the Life Sciences museum on Guy's campus, the chapel at the Strand campus, and even the brilliant location of St Thomas Hospital directly over the river from the Houses of Parliament; this makes it a real treat for me to bring friends and guests from overseas site-seeing through my university, and trust me they all thoroughly enjoy it!

- The range of opportunity and activities to get involved in at KCL is the only negative point I can think of, there's far too many things to do! If you don't have self-discipline you can easily end up finding yourself involved in sooo many awesome things. Honestly, you might think I'm just exaggerating here, but I kid you not there's a ridiculously huge amount of things you can do. The diversity of students and interests here means there's well over 250 societies catering from things such as Harry Potter movie marathons to Archery and the Clinical Academic Research Society. If you are in the unlikely situation of not being able to find a society or activity you're interested in, the student union here are super awesome in allowing and supporting you to set something up. I was shocked that there was no society focusing in infectious diseases and immunology, so what did I do? I start a new society this year catering for just those two subjects, and it's done pretty well! :biggrin: As KCL Is part of the 'Golden Triangle' of UK universities (the countries 5 best research universities) you can get involved with so many different types of lab based or even clinical research, and what makes this very attractive is that there are several opportunities to do studentships, and you get paid very generously for something most people would do voluntarily! I did a KCL summer studentship last year and got paid £1,000 for something I would have done voluntarily anyway as it contributes diamonds on your CV, especially when you apply for jobs after graduating. I can go on and on about the range of things KCL gives you the opportunity to get involved with, but this will really turn into a VERY long message if I do. If there's any particular area you'd like me to go into more detail about any of these things, let me know and I'll gladly explain.

- KCL's prestigious reputation REALLY is internationally recognised. I went to do a clinical placement at a 900+ bed Red Cross Hospital in Japan; when I applied, the deputy director got in touch with me, and it turns out he did some training at Guy's Hospital (one of KCL's main teaching hospitals), and is extremely fond of KCL. Trust me, he made sure I had an absolutely amazing time at the hospital and all the doctors showed me so much respect and gave me so many opportunities, and this was largely thanks to KCL's grand reputation attractive top-end people from different countries. Things of this nature happened quite often, nationally and internationally. Trust me, being able to say I'm a student at KCL comes with a wealth of benefits itself.

Quality of teaching at KCL: I'm struggling to write things as when I think of the good points, there's soooooooo many different positive points running through my head that it's so difficult to contain and present them all in a neat manner, seriously! At KCL we have the privilege of receiving direct teaching from some very famous academics, e.g. Prof. Harold Ellis (the most notable British surgeon in the past 50 years, he even has a Wikipedia page!) who gives us literally world-class teaching during dissection sessions and regularly gives lectures which always has the lecture theatre packed out; Prof. Susan Standring, chief editor of Grey's anatomy, although not around as often as she's retired, she still does a few sessions for some groups of students, and trust me her tutorials are seriously inspiring; Prof. Mark Peakmen, one of the prestigious consultant immunologists of the country, and the main contributor of the 'immunology and disease' chapter of Kumar and Clark (the medical textbook considered the bible of clinical medicine); Prof. Sebastian Lucas, one of the pioneers and leaders of HIV whose work has had huge influence on knowledge and treatment strategies of the disease. There are so many amazingly successful academics in KCL, who don't just hold prestigious reputations, but also awards in their exceptional quality of teaching and this REALLY does come across.

Sorry for going on so much, but I kid you not that I literally suppressed myself and cut out a lot whilst writing this message as it was becoming too long, but there's so much to write in response to your question. As you can see, I'm genuinely very passionate about this university, and I really want to put this across to people. KCL really has given me so much of what I need to become an awesome doctor, and I genuinely believe other institutes couldn't have nurtured me in such a beneficial way. There is a very strong peer-support network at KCL too, and seniors always give so much of their time to help others. Of course, student satisfaction has been low at KCL (I mainly put this to the terrible quality of exam feedback the past few years), but I definitely see KCL has sorted out their errors with great effort, and things are genuinely looking much brighter now; I must add, we get VERY helpful exam feedback now :smile:.

Feel free to ask me for any more information.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Flobie
Hi, I'm in a similar position to Dr. Aco Malfoy. KCL has been my favourite medical school since I first visited last summer, but I also have an offer from Newcastle and I want to consider both carefully.

Firstly, will KCL be having another open day for offer-holders? It seems a bit unfair that the "exceptional" candidates who received offers a couple of weeks after their interview got to come to an offer-holders open day, but the "pooled" applicants don't seem to have one.

Secondly, could you tell me more about how the issues with organisation and student satisfaction are being resolved? This is something that gets mentioned a lot so I'd like to be reassured that I would have no problems with it if I were to firm Kings. :smile:

Thanks in advance!

Hello Flobie!

I'm Cassim, currently a medical student at KCL.

I can't give much information on the open day for offer-holders to you, but I can say I was one of the last few students to hear back from KCL when I applied 5 years ago. I do remember receiving an invite for an open day too. However, I'll leave this for someone more knowledgeable on the topic to answer for you.

With regards to student satisfaction, from my personal experience being here for 5 years, and knowing many of the people who contributed to the campaigns to bring down the student satisfaction here, it was largely based on poor quality assessment feedback as well as organisation of clinical placements. KCL has really jumped onto the issue after these incidents and there's been a huge number of changes for the better this year as a result of it. For example, in clinics, a significant percentage of our marks is based on what our 'Firm Head' (the consultant of the team we're attached to at the hospital) thinks of our performance; however, this introduced an extremely subjective element, as some people were fortunate to have firm heads who gave everyone the highest marks, or very harsh and rarely gave above a 'pass'. On the other hand, there were Firm Heads who never even spent time with their medical students and would mark them really very randomly. This year, they've now made these Firm head marks only 'formative' so they're just for your own personal feedback and no longer contribute to your final grade. Instead, only the main exams matter. With regards to organisation, this year they e-mailed us to say from next year placements will be made in 'clusters': we can choose which cluster we'd like to be with throughout the whole year, so we can really make ourselves at home to whichever hospital we choose. I must admit though, even before these changes, I did observe that students who tend to complain aggressively about the poor organisation of clinics were mainly those who like to be spoon-fed and struggle to take the initiative. I had the honour of being part of one of the most poorly organised firms of the year, but it was definitely one of the best placements I ever had, as all I had to do was show the doctors I was keen to get involved and help out as much as possible, and this naturally meant I got so much teaching and opportunities. Even though this was self-directed, KCL definitely gave us knowledge of what exactly we need to know and focus around, so I could express this to the doctors, and in exchange for helping them with their jobs (which adds to the learning experience, e.g. taking blood, taking a history and presenting patients), they would give me dedicated teaching.

I hope this answers your question?

Do remember, the peer-support network here is extremely strong. When I was at the afore mentioned poorly organised firm, there were some final medical students doing their rotation in the same hospital, and they almost on a daily basis let me tag along with them. As they know exactly what I needed based on my year of studies, they made sure I got all the relevant experience. Me and my peers know full-well we would do the same for others too. I genuinely believe people will only struggle with clinics if they have poor attendance, struggle to take the initiative, or have poor communication skills.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Kazzakhs
Hello Flobie!

I'm Cassim, currently a medical student at KCL.

I can't give much information on the open day for offer-holders to you, but I can say I was one of the last few students to hear back from KCL when I applied 5 years ago. I do remember receiving an invite for an open day too. However, I'll leave this for someone more knowledgeable on the topic to answer for you.

With regards to student satisfaction, from my personal experience being here for 5 years, and knowing many of the people who contributed to the campaigns to bring down the student satisfaction here, it was largely based on poor quality assessment feedback as well as organisation of clinical placements. KCL has really jumped onto the issue after these incidents and there's been a huge number of changes for the better this year as a result of it. For example, in clinics, a significant percentage of our marks is based on what our 'Firm Head' (the consultant of the team we're attached to at the hospital) thinks of our performance; however, this introduced an extremely subjective element, as some people were fortunate to have firm heads who gave everyone the highest marks, or very harsh and rarely gave above a 'pass'. On the other hand, there were Firm Heads who never even spent time with their medical students and would mark them really very randomly. This year, they've now made these Firm head marks only 'formative' so they're just for your own personal feedback and no longer contribute to your final grade. Instead, only the main exams matter. With regards to organisation, this year they e-mailed us to say from next year placements will be made in 'clusters': we can choose which cluster we'd like to be with throughout the whole year, so we can really make ourselves at home to whichever hospital we choose. I must admit though, even before these changes, I did observe that students who tend to complain aggressively about the poor organisation of clinics were mainly those who like to be spoon-fed and struggle to take the initiative. I had the honour of being part of one of the most poorly organised firms of the year, but it was definitely one of the best placements I ever had, as all I had to do was show the doctors I was keen to get involved and help out as much as possible, and this naturally meant I got so much teaching and opportunities. Even though this was self-directed, KCL definitely gave us knowledge of what exactly we need to know and focus around, so I could express this to the doctors, and in exchange for helping them with their jobs (which adds to the learning experience, e.g. taking blood, taking a history and presenting patients), they would give me dedicated teaching.

I hope this answers your question?

Do remember, the peer-support network here is extremely strong. When I was at the afore mentioned poorly organised firm, there were some final medical students doing their rotation in the same hospital, and they almost on a daily bases let me tag along with them. As they know exactly what I needed based on my year of studies, they made sure I got all the relevant experience. Me and my peers know full-well we would do the same for others too. I genuinely believe people will only struggle with clinics if they have poor attendance, struggle to take the initiative, or have poor communication skills.

Thanks, that's really helpful :smile: so is there a lot of self-directed stuff?
Reply 15
Original post by Flobie
Thanks, that's really helpful :smile: so is there a lot of self-directed stuff?

No worries, glad to help. :smile:

Overall, we're moving to the direction of becoming less self-directed, as it seems students prefer much more of a structure (I personally prefer self-directed, so I guess it depends on the individual). However, some placements I've been to were almost entirely structured, whilst others largely self-directed (with maybe three sessions of scheduled teaching a week). We have a logbook which is compulsory to get all skills and experiences signed off by a clinician, and also contains all the information about what we need to know and should aim to experience in hospitals for the relevant year of our studies, so you pretty much know what to get on with. Nevertheless, even with the structured placement, I still had the chance to slip in some self-directed learning.
Reply 16
Hi,

I will be heading over to King's in Sept (2014) to read Law.

Thank you for hosting this forum. I have a few questions.

I am interested in living in the single room for intercollegiate halls.

· What are the differences between the different intercollegiate halls (International hall, Nutford hall, Connaught Hall and College hall)? in terms of 1)facilities, 2)nearby grocery stores, 3)cultures, 4)faculties (majority of them are pursuing which degree?), etc?
· Is there any intercollegiate hall that I have missed out? And are all the intercollegiate halls listed above available for me to apply? (I will be enrolling in Sept 2014)
· Do all of them offer Single-room?
· What is the difference between Single-room and Non-standard single-room? Is there any additional criteria to apply for non-standard single-room?
· Are all the intercollegiate hall catered? i.e. breakfast and dinner are provided.
· Which intercollegiate hall is the nearest to the Waterloo campus? Can you kindly rank them please?
· Is everyone living in the intercollegiate halls from Kings? Or are they from other universities such as UCL, LSE etc too?
· Can four of my accommodation choices be intercollegiate halls?
· Are there shared toilets for all of the intercollegiate halls' single room? If yes, will there be cleaning services for these toilets?

I look forward to your response.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,
Taybelle
Original post by Kazzakhs
No worries, glad to help. :smile:

Overall, we're moving to the direction of becoming less self-directed, as it seems students prefer much more of a structure (I personally prefer self-directed, so I guess it depends on the individual). However, some placements I've been to were almost entirely structured, whilst others largely self-directed (with maybe three sessions of scheduled teaching a week). We have a logbook which is compulsory to get all skills and experiences signed off by a clinician, and also contains all the information about what we need to know and should aim to experience in hospitals for the relevant year of our studies, so you pretty much know what to get on with. Nevertheless, even with the structured placement, I still had the chance to slip in some self-directed learning.

That's pretty good. I don't mind a bit of self-directed because you don't get spoonfed when you're a doctor :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello what can you tell me about the midwifery degree?
Also are there any specific things they are looking for in the personal statement?
I filled in the online form about the open day but haven't heard back, should I have done?
Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Flobie
That's pretty good. I don't mind a bit of self-directed because you don't get spoonfed when you're a doctor :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the sort of thinking that will help you become a terrific doctor :smile:! There are some medics who have no idea what to do, and just end up going home, if no doctor comes to provide them with teaching or tasks directly; needless to say, these students will make up a significant number of people who complain about the system (I won't generalise though, I'm sure there are some with genuine complaints, but form my experience these are being addressed well this year). I trust you won't be one of these, and will instead be the sort who impresses the clinicians and as a result get 10x more learning opportunities - keep up the good spirit!

If you have any more questions at all about medicine at KCL, let me know and I'll get back to you ASAP.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest