The Student Room Group

Nursing after my first degree?!?!

Hi everyone,
I'm two years into my first degree and I'm taking a year out to work. I've always wanted to do nursing for aaages now but never thought I could do it however I finally feel ready to go for it!

BUT! I don't really understand about funding. I've already had 2 years worth off SFE. What am I entitled to now?
Can anybody help?

Thank you!
Reply 1
I'm in exactly the same position as you; I studied French and Spanish for two years and I'm currently working as a HCA and have been accepted onto a course for September.
As far as I know, Student Finance will give you 5 years' worth of funding. Nursing tuition fees are funded by the NHS, and they also give you a £1000 grant and a means-tested bursary of up to £4395 per year.
This NHS funding is not dependent on whether or not you've been to uni before, so from that point of view there's nothing to worry about. When you apply for Student Finance, the preliminary amount they give you when you say you're entitled to a bursary is £2324 per year. As (I think) they fund 5 years of study, having done 2 years then doing another 3 as a student nurse, you should be able to receive a loan for the whole of the degree.

Hope that helps!
Reply 2
Original post by IonaBewers
I'm in exactly the same position as you; I studied French and Spanish for two years and I'm currently working as a HCA and have been accepted onto a course for September.
As far as I know, Student Finance will give you 5 years' worth of funding. Nursing tuition fees are funded by the NHS, and they also give you a £1000 grant and a means-tested bursary of up to £4395 per year.
This NHS funding is not dependent on whether or not you've been to uni before, so from that point of view there's nothing to worry about. When you apply for Student Finance, the preliminary amount they give you when you say you're entitled to a bursary is £2324 per year. As (I think) they fund 5 years of study, having done 2 years then doing another 3 as a student nurse, you should be able to receive a loan for the whole of the degree.

Hope that helps!

Original post by ajw2011
Hi everyone,
I'm two years into my first degree and I'm taking a year out to work. I've always wanted to do nursing for aaages now but never thought I could do it however I finally feel ready to go for it!

BUT! I don't really understand about funding. I've already had 2 years worth off SFE. What am I entitled to now?
Can anybody help?

Thank you!

Hi, I've nearly completed a Geography degree (four years) and am starting Adult Nursing in sept, you'll get all of the NHS bursaries and the Student Loan for NHS students is in a special category meaning you get the base rate of around £2500 no matter how many years of student finance you've used previously.

Here's some other treads where it's been talked about previously, sometimes SFE are ****ty about it on the phone but keep hassling them if so, you are absolutely entitled to the full reduced loan :smile:

-http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2309136

-http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2479194

-http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1993979

X
Reply 3
THANK YOU BOTH SO MUCH!
This is so re-assuring. I've only just started looking into it but I really want to do it!

Quick Reply

Latest