The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Psychology 2014 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by devils
York is a great institution, and I remember that you are interested in educational psychology, right? It sounds like a great course!
It definitely makes sense to make less risky choices, after all there might be unexpected problems :s-smilie:
Really hope that neither of us will need to go through clearing :frown: Good luck on your exam! :biggrin:

Yes that's right! It's BPS accredited so it's still fine :biggrin:

Just looked at the Bath website good news and relatively bad news. Good news: we can apply to live in the new accommodation (the Quads)! Relatively bad news: it's catered and costs £165 a week!! Who has that money?? :s-smilie:

EDIT: Well it says it's 'part catered' so you can still cook for yourself as there are still kitchens. And it's cheaper than Polden but still!
EDIT: And all the other accommodation prices have gone up! Marlborough/Sols is now 140, Norwood is now 118! Why...why...
(edited 10 years ago)
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 161
Original post by devils
I will put Durham as my insurance...it is a bit risky, but since hku offers me AAC, so I still have a back-up.
How about you? :smile:

WOOHO YOU GO GIRL! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I'm really happy for you! I guess we have the same firm and insurance, I sure do hope we meet next year, whether it's Bath or Durham!
Reply 162
Original post by Alien41
Yes that's right! It's BPS accredited so it's still fine :biggrin:

Just looked at the Bath website good news and relatively bad news. Good news: we can apply to live in the new accommodation (the Quads)! Relatively bad news: it's catered and costs £165 a week!! Who has that money?? :s-smilie:

EDIT: Well it says it's 'part catered' so you can still cook for yourself as there are still kitchens. And it's cheaper than Polden but still!
EDIT: And all the other accommodation prices have gone up! Marlborough/Sols is now 140, Norwood is now 118! Why...why...

I just checked the site myself and in total disbelief right now. The prices are SO much cheaper than Durham :eek: I mean still a lot but wow!

Do you have any clue how are the rooms cleaned (e.g. weekly)? From what I've read that should be the only major difference between Eastwood and Norwood or Westwood, though the price difference in quite significant..
Reply 163
Original post by katemaria
I just checked the site myself and in total disbelief right now. The prices are SO much cheaper than Durham :eek: I mean still a lot but wow!

Do you have any clue how are the rooms cleaned (e.g. weekly)? From what I've read that should be the only major difference between Eastwood and Norwood or Westwood, though the price difference in quite significant..

Really? How much is Durham?! :lolwut:

I don't know about how regular cleaning is. But I think the rooms at Eastwood are smaller so that my be part of it. Don't quote me on that though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 164
WOOHO YOU GO GIRL! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I'm really happy for you! I guess we have the same firm and insurance, I sure do hope we meet next year, whether it's Bath or Durham!

Thank you!! :biggrin:
YES!!! Hope to see you in the October! :colondollar:
Reply 165
Original post by Alien41
Really? How much is Durham?! :lolwut:

I don't know about how regular cleaning is. But I think the rooms at Eastwood are smaller so that my be part of it. Don't quote me on that though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The college I've been allocated to is around 6300 pounds, so the difference is quite substantial seeing that id probably opt for one of the -woods if firming Bath :smile:

Ahh okay, I was genuinely surprised how could cleaning itself cost around 500 :biggrin:
Reply 166
The college I've been allocated to is around 6300 pounds, so the difference is quite substantial seeing that id probably opt for one of the -woods if firming Bath :smile:

Ahh okay, I was genuinely surprised how could cleaning itself cost around 500 :biggrin:

Ahh okay! What college are you allocated to if you don't mind me asking?

I've sorted out my student finance (I think) so know I know how much I'm getting I can properly decide! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 167
Original post by Alien41
Ahh okay! What college are you allocated to if you don't mind me asking?

I've sorted out my student finance (I think) so know I know how much I'm getting I can properly decide! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

St Hild and St Bede, my least favourite one really :s-smilie: But okay, I mean it's still Durham and if I can't suck it up for 2 years then I don't know how i'll do later on in life :tongue:

That's great! I think EU students will be eligible to apply soon as well, I better apply for tuition fee loan soon :smile:
Reply 168
St Hild and St Bede, my least favourite one really :s-smilie: But okay, I mean it's still Durham and if I can't suck it up for 2 years then I don't know how i'll do later on in life :tongue:

That's great! I think EU students will be eligible to apply soon as well, I better apply for tuition fee loan soon :smile:

Ahh okay! Well they say most people end up liking their college! But you know, hopefully you won't have to :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 169
Original post by Alien41
I'm thinking Marlborough / solsbury, but I know that's like a fight to the death! :wink:

Also like the look of Westwood over woodland as apparently woodland has kitchen groups of like 16 but Westwood has houses of 15-20 but 2 kitchens so less people to share a sink with! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am considering Marlborough / solsbury too! Is it oversubscribed? :s-smilie:
I also like Woodland and westwood! :biggrin:
Reply 170
Original post by devils
I am considering Marlborough / solsbury too! Is it oversubscribed? :s-smilie:
I also like Woodland and westwood! :biggrin:

I'm guessing so as it's the cheapest ensuite! Went in a couple of hours last year!

May be less 'bloodthirsty' this year with The Quads now open as they are the same prices technically just another 25 which you can spend on campus for a value of 27.50. Part catered they call it. I worked it out as 3.90 a day so you'll definitely get to (or have to, depending on your mindset) cook! :smile:

I think I'll choose M/S woodland the quads then Westwood. But I may swap woodland with the quads as they're cheaper and have smaller groups...just have to decide how I feel about this part catered thing. At first I was totally against it. Now I think "hey I'll probably spend 4 pounds on a cup of coffee and a slice of cake anyway so let them build it into my bill"! Gotta feed Helga, my inner (and rapidly becoming outer) fatty :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 171
Original post by devils
FINALLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
I GOT AN OFFER!!!!!!!!!!!

(sorry for being a bit insane...:tongue:)

Congratulations! No doubt you've already firmed; I have firmed Bath today!
*stupid question alert*

As I've insured Bath I'm assuming that I can't apply for accommodation?

Also is there a psych offers holders day as I haven't even received an email from Bath, just ucas updating...
Reply 173
Original post by Bright_blonde
*stupid question alert*

As I've insured Bath I'm assuming that I can't apply for accommodation?

Also is there a psych offers holders day as I haven't even received an email from Bath, just ucas updating...

"For those with an insurance offer for Bath, you will be able to apply to go onto a waiting list when your offer is confirmed.

We cannot guarantee a place in university accommodation for those holding an insurance offer as the guarantee deadline will have passed."

You can still apply for it, but you'll be on the waiting list and be allocated after result day.
Reply 174
Original post by AlissaNB
Congratulations! No doubt you've already firmed; I have firmed Bath today!

THANK YOU!!! :hugs:
What's your insurance? :wink:
Reply 175
Original post by Alien41
I'm guessing so as it's the cheapest ensuite! Went in a couple of hours last year!

May be less 'bloodthirsty' this year with The Quads now open as they are the same prices technically just another 25 which you can spend on campus for a value of 27.50. Part catered they call it. I worked it out as 3.90 a day so you'll definitely get to (or have to, depending on your mindset) cook! :smile:

I think I'll choose M/S woodland the quads then Westwood. But I may swap woodland with the quads as they're cheaper and have smaller groups...just have to decide how I feel about this part catered thing. At first I was totally against it. Now I think "hey I'll probably spend 4 pounds on a cup of coffee and a slice of cake anyway so let them build it into my bill"! Gotta feed Helga, my inner (and rapidly becoming outer) fatty :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your information!

I like cooking and I feel like it's cheaper to cook myself, so I always prefer self-catered ones!
Studying abroad is already quite expensive, so I want to be more careful with money :wink:
So the Quads is part-catered? I could still choose to cook myself if I want? Then it's not too expensive! I'll consider about it now...:biggrin:
My preference is the same as yours! M/S > Woodland > Westwood!
Reply 176
Original post by devils
Thanks for your information!

I like cooking and I feel like it's cheaper to cook myself, so I always prefer self-catered ones!
Studying abroad is already quite expensive, so I want to be more careful with money :wink:
So the Quads is part-catered? I could still choose to cook myself if I want? Then it's not too expensive! I'll consider about it now...:biggrin:
My preference is the same as yours! M/S > Woodland > Westwood!

Yes you can still cook as there are communal kitchens as well. If you go for it, you'll probably end up only cooking dinner and having lunch from a place on campus...:smile:

Hahaha cool! Only picking 3?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by devils
"For those with an insurance offer for Bath, you will be able to apply to go onto a waiting list when your offer is confirmed.

We cannot guarantee a place in university accommodation for those holding an insurance offer as the guarantee deadline will have passed."

You can still apply for it, but you'll be on the waiting list and be allocated after result day.

Amazing thanks so much!!
Can I just ask what the benefits are to being catered? I don't really get it, surely its so much better to be self-catered? Surely it would just be like living in a hotel if its catered...

£140-5 for an ensuite room! Seriously wtf :frown: How important is having an en suite at Bath? It was something I really wanted initially. Sorry for all the bizarre questions, I haven't looked around the accommodation at all, just online.
Reply 179
Original post by Jessykins
Can I just ask what the benefits are to being catered? I don't really get it, surely its so much better to be self-catered? Surely it would just be like living in a hotel if its catered...

£140-5 for an ensuite room! Seriously wtf :frown: How important is having an en suite at Bath? It was something I really wanted initially. Sorry for all the bizarre questions, I haven't looked around the accommodation at all, just online.

With the catered option, you get a card which you can use at the cafes and other food outlets on campus basically.

Yes, en suite is sooo expensive! The gap is huge! 118 for Norwood/westwood up to 140 for en suite! I think it should all come down to, how much you'll get as part of your student loan. If you get 5,000 or so, ensuite probably isn't the best choice unless your parents/family members are thinking of contributing...so yeah. Big decisions! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest