The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King's College Medicine applicants 2014 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Flobie
Err, empathy?

If hello101 is like this in real life, he did deserve it. He's waited as long as me and has been dedicated the whole way. And he's one of the nicest people on here. Who knows what happened in the interview? Someone could mess up on the interview but it doesn't mean they'll be an awful doctor.

Hello101 don't lose hope!! You'll get in next year! :biggrin:

I know about empathy.....that's why I didn't mean to cause offence....

I never said he would be an awful doctor.
Many people are nice and still get in though....what's your point?

Kudos for waiting long, that shows commitment.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Guys much luv u all... I hope u get offers...
Much much much luv....
I never really imagined I will be in this position and ps I have achieved a place long long time ago but then I was classified as an international student..which was ludacris...
Thank you home office .... Royally ****ed me up ...... But it is now my interview technique ... So I guess that's down to me.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Miel Purple
I know about empathy.....that's why I didn't mean to cause offence....

I never said he would be an awful doctor.
Many people are nice and still get in though....what's your point?

Kudos for waiting long, that shows commitment.

It's still a bit harsh, if I were in his position I would be devastated.

My point wasn't that someone deserves an offer because they're nice, it was that judging from what I've seen on here, hello101 would be a great doctor. If he's anything like this in real life, he has a great personality for medicine, not just niceness etc.
Original post by Flobie
It's still a bit harsh, if I were in his position I would be devastated.

My point wasn't that someone deserves an offer because they're nice, it was that judging from what I've seen on here, hello101 would be a great doctor. If he's anything like this in real life, he has a great personality for medicine, not just niceness etc.

I'm just saying what I thought....I didn't mean to cause offence.
It's not harsh at all, it's a genuine question which btw you didn't answer.

Yeah sure his personality is great for medicine and for life generally. He seems very optimistic and grateful.
Reply 4464

Yeah sure his personality is great for medicine and for life generally. He seems very optimistic and grateful.

Can i point out that by continuously saying. U dont mean to cause offence doesnt stop u from offending someone. U clearly dont know anything about being empathtic to say such harsh words when hes just been rejected. The interview is not a fair analysis of who will make a better doctor. Many ppl have gotten in yet they dont even want to be a dr (do it for parents etc) yet ppl like hello101 who seem like they genuinely want it dont get in. Frankly im pissed off about the whole thing.

Next time u say 'no offence' before u say something then STOP. because u most definitely are causing offence!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough, but it's still a pretty sensitive time, not really the right time to be saying where someone went wrong.

What even was the question? You asked me what my point was, and I told you.
Original post by Tuni530
Can i point out that by continuously saying. U dont mean to cause offence doesnt stop u from offending someone. U clearly dont know anything about being empathtic to say such harsh words when hes just been rejected. The interview is not a fair analysis of who will make a better doctor. Many ppl have gotten in yet they dont even want to be a dr (do it for parents etc) yet ppl like hello101 who seem like they genuinely want it dont get in. Frankly im pissed off about the whole thing.

Next time u say 'no offence' before u say something then STOP. because u most definitely are causing offence!!

I know about empathy, I admit my timing of what I said was wrong but it was not harsh. It was a genuine question.

So tell me, how would you decide who makes a better doctor? Interviews will be carried out all the time and always will be-get used to it.

Many people don't get in. It's sad but it's reality.
Why are you so pissed off?

Besides hello101 said no offence taken so I don't see why you had to butt in here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

See in bold

Original post by Flobie
Fair enough, but it's still a pretty sensitive time, not really the right time to be saying where someone went wrong.

What even was the question? You asked me what my point was, and I told you.

Yeah I guess the timing was wrong

Oh nvm, I never asked you the question in the first place.
(edited 10 years ago)
See in bold

People .......
I know u all mean well and have my best interest at heart ...
But the decision has been made and there is nothing that can be done about it ....it is harsh ( decision) but what can I do really...
And on ur question of how to select... Have OSCE's with patients lol lol lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hello101
People .......
I know u all mean well and have my best interest at heart ...
But the decision has been made and there is nothing that can be done about it ....it is harsh ( decision) but what can I do really...
And on ur question of how to select... Have OSCE's with patients lol lol lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is a good idea. Simulation with patients, I think a few med skls do that.

But then again, we have 5/6 years to perfect our consultation skills etc
Reply 4469
See in bold

Shutup

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4470
rejection noooooo :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: really disappointed! but what has angered me more is that it has been four whole months since my interview (was the start of December) and it took them this long to decide?!?! it's crazy. at least I have one offer now but it's a blow :frown: good luck to everyone still waiting!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol no argument there I see. :lol:

And you think you can talk to me about offence....the irony...
Guys suggestion on a way forward...
I am stumped .... As I can't think of what I can do more...ps please don't say work experience.... I know what it is and I am not willing to work as a HCA ...
I am going to be looking for a health related job but I don't know how to proceed forward....

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Lol no argument there I see. :lol:

And you think you can talk to me about offence....the irony...

cheeky cheeky...lol

But to defend other people who supported me (tuni and Flobie ) ... unis are creating a false impression and a glass ceiling with interviews.....They interview yet they don't give feedback...
People go on interview courses and many have some way or another links to the admissions some how and find out....
Most get in through this way ... MANY PEOPLE DO GET IN WITHOUT TRAINING ..( but if u do end up on a course u will realise how many people are actually coached... ) ... But then it leaves out people like me who believe in ideal society and don't go on these course.... Pretty naive really .....

Every time it is generic which is the same as reading the prospectus .....

It is grossly unfair and yet no one highlights these facts....

the only difference between me and a being a doc is this bloody interview ( I don't want to tempt fate though)
You always get feedback if you apply for jobs in the real world post interviewing ..... And that helps as it is personalised .....

Yes to agree with you on a point I didn't clear the interview and people did ..which is fair enough ...
But seriously there has to be feedback there so the person can improve...how can I improve if I don't know what I am doing wrong ... Clearly 2 unis rejected me so there must be something .....

And I have to jump through all the hoops again to have a 15 minute interview again.....and if by some miracle I get in how would I be a better doc when I get in compared to right now ...it is absurd really......

In all genuineness I remember the interview word for word and I don't think I really should not have been rejected at kings .... Bart's fair play but not king's ..... I probably was a bit to eager and serious ....but can you blame me... Yet the interview wants me to show I am cool guy after rejecting me??? That is the true irony....

thank god for the data protection act of 1998....I wish I used it last year ....and this act is so helpful ......

Though how silly it is for unis not give feedback as they can actually protect their interviews by giving personalised feedback rather than individuals using data protection ....

Anyways I am reject and you people are the ones with the offer but maybe that's the point .....

Why does everyone believe being competitive means being cut throat ... It is such a ludacris idea.. And yes I am a reject but I was very competitive during my degree or I would have got the grades I did get.... I didn't need to be rude or cut throat ....
If someone doesn't have the calibre fair enough but you have to give them the right tools to show this ....
There will be 1000s of experience you will have where you will get the idea that you have to cut throat to be competitive .... It's a way of people justifying their actions so a defence mechanism nothing else..... In the rare event ,it is a cut throat environment then it is the fault of the system of generating such a workforce..
I compete on a regular basis with my friend for the same spots ...we are still the best of friends and even help each other ( or may be I am just plain weirdo lol) but sometimes we feel that we can't so we are pretty frank about those times.... This is quite rare though ...

References should really mean something when you interview in a limited time scale .......
I am annoyed at Bart's for not reading my ps and reference at the interview ... Why did I write one... I should have just written bla bla bla.... And referee to say the same ....
Kings I don't know ... It might not have been strong enough to give an offer straight away which was confirmed by the competitive score email. It it should not have been rejected.... Maybe I am in denial..

Ps this luv ballad isn't aimed at you.... I couldn't be bothered to write 2 separate messages Miel purple..... Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4474
Dear hello101,

I am really sorry that you didn't get an offer. I expressly went onto the King's TSR forum page just to see how you did.

I can really empathise with your situation. There's no best advice I can give you, just what I feel :

I am EXTREMELY passionate about medicine and my patients. It is not just a mere job for me ( even after 22 years) but something I genuinely love. It is a calling, literally. I have never, ever regretted doing medicine. I consistently get awards & recognition (from hospitals), letters of appreciation & gifts (from patients). I really care about my patients and do my best for them, not just medically but psychologically and socially. It is also meaningful for me as I impact people in concrete ways.

If you think you have these character traits, go try for it again next year, hello101. One more year in the long life-span of a man is not much.

And remember, I promise you a dinner treat in London, if you are a med student !
Original post by Dr Ang
Dear hello101,

I am really sorry that you didn't get an offer. I expressly went onto the King's TSR forum page just to see how you did.

I can really empathise with your situation. There's no best advice I can give you, just what I feel :

I am EXTREMELY passionate about medicine and my patients. It is not just a mere job for me ( even after 22 years) but something I genuinely love. It is a calling, literally. I have never, ever regretted doing medicine. I consistently get awards & recognition (from hospitals), letters of appreciation & gifts (from patients). I really care about my patients and do my best for them, not just medically but psychologically and socially. It is also meaningful for me as I impact people in concrete ways.

If you think you have these character traits, go try for it again next year, hello101. One more year in the long life-span of a man is not much.

And remember, I promise you a dinner treat in London, if you are a med student !

Thank you so so so much Dr. Ang....
The fact you are here and your message just shows how much you care for your patients and therefore it comes as no surprise that you constantly win awards...
What you said describes my feelings exactly ... Espeically about the physiological , psychological and social care ; evidence based learning ....And even more I just felt so much peace ( I think u will understand this)
I am doing my voluntary work in A and E which can sometimes include triaging patients ..... Especially when 15 arrive at the same time ... That is so satisfying and also thrilling ...

I know you promised me a dinner ... Hopefully I can achieve a place in not so distant future ...

No it hurts because I genuinely can't think of how I can offer any more ... There clearly is an issue with my interview technique but I find it hard pretend ... I guess I need to just remember to give them what they want .., they clearly don't appreciate genuine experiences.....it's frustrating as they are not telling me what I am doing wrong.... They keep saying it's not that I did something wrong .. It's that I wasn't competitive enough which infuriates me as I have a unique experiences of theatres , dissections , a and e ( 2 years and going strong) and learnt so so so much from. Every second spent in the environment ... Clearly I am just not saying things in a way they want...
If kings asked for evidence for work experience so many people will be found out which adds to the pain... I can't even beat people who are pretending to have done experience ......lol

It's just it is a bit difficult to take in as all my friends are either executives and consultants , have kids ( scary stuff) and here I am in mid 20s trying to find a heading... It's the lack of direction which is the only worry ... I need to know when to quit and when to persevere..
To quote dr patch Adams ( from the film) I am thorn that will not go away ... But at the same time I need to have a life... I can sacrifice everything only for so so long ( u know this becomes more appropriate when u get older )

I need to balance my eagerness and passion with a bit of my personality ... I do tend to go into overdrive at these interviews and don't get to show my 'happy side ' but it is difficult when you keep getting rejected to show the playful side... I think this is what is restricting me at the interviews, I need to find the right balance ....
Thank you so so much for getting in touch .., I can't explain how touched I am by so much support ....
I think a few weeks away from the cycle will do me good .... And then come to it....
Again thank you so so much .....

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4476
Hi hello101,

PM privately.

If you do try again next year, I will train you in interview techniques. (Free of charge, and when I am in London.) How do you think my daughter (as an International) got into EVERY single medical school she applied to ? Not just in the UK, but in other countries too :-) I trained her to answer exactly how a doctor should answer. But to be fair, her innate empathy, eloquence & intelligence came through clearly. And she also carries herself very well.
Reply 4477
Original post by hello101
Well to be honest ok ur right... But that is a bleak way of looking at things it's 15 minutes and considering I have been at the uni for last 3 years and did ok ....
The reason they are rejecting me is I am not saying the things they want to listen even. If they are written on the application...
On that reasoning alone I can turn around and equally say why are they just rejecting me on the interview alone....
They need to remember what 15 minute really represent..." 15 minutes = 5 years ....
Considering they sent a message that I achieved a competitive score and then made me wait till the end of cycle is cruel and wrong.....
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey man,
not sure if what I say will help at all. But if it helps- let me remind you that you made a great point there. 15 minutes =/= 5 years =/= you as a person. This result, this outcome does not define who you are.This goes out to the lucky offer holders as well. Never once let yourself lapse into believing that you are special. Never let the noble intentions ferment into arrogance.

I don't know you, but you seem like a good person. And it doesn't take a doctor to make a difference. You may have not done WELL at the interview but I hope that this won't stop you from doing GOOD.

Keep your head up, and I hope that you get the path that is right for you :smile:
Original post by LowFatCheese
Hi, I got an offer from King's last week, and I have a question about the conditions. The message on UCAS said "GRADES AA AT ADVANCED HIGHERS AND AAB AT THREE FURTHER HIGHERS INCLUDING CHEMISTRY AND BIOLOGY, AT LEAST ONE TO ADVANCED HIGHERS BY AUGUST 2014" but I have no idea what "further Higher studies" means since I did my Highers last year. If they are Advanced Highers, then that means I would need four As and a B which I can't achieve since I only took four Advanced Highers this year. Also, the subjects I chose were on my application form, so how could King's not see that if they really want four As and a B this year from me? By the way, I'm a Scottish applicant.

hello...
many congratutalions on your offer.. the best advice I can give you is contact the university directly via the portal and also drop a call. Remeber to get anything they say in written.
i hope someone here can offer you more insight into this but the best result will be obtained through the univeristy ....
best of luck ....
Original post by Dr Ang
Hi hello101,

PM privately.

If you do try again next year, I will train you in interview techniques. (Free of charge, and when I am in London.) How do you think my daughter (as an International) got into EVERY single medical school she applied to ? Not just in the UK, but in other countries too :-) I trained her to answer exactly how a doctor should answer. But to be fair, her innate empathy, eloquence & intelligence came through clearly. And she also carries herself very well.

Hi Dr. Ang,

I am writing this not to mean any disrespect to you or how your daughter managed to secure many offers this cycle. This is entirely my humble point of view but I would like to think that your daughter would have gotten in to medicine even if her mother is not a physician.

I am not an applicant so purely from a patient's perspective, I don't believe there to be such a thing as how "a doctor should answer" as doctors are human and are entitled to have their own "style" of addressing patients and colleagues (with respect, empathy, sensitivity of course :biggrin:). My favourite doctor is "gangster" as hell, but is compassionate, kind and we all love him to bits.

I would also like to think that having a doctor as a parent does not really give the applicant an edge but the reality is: it probably does, not only with interviewing skills but also with background knowledge and perhaps even with organising work experience? I work as a research assistant at a university and a friend of mine working in clinical research at a nearby hospital recently had a high school student shadowing him in his day to day clinical research. When asked how that student in question managed to secure such an impressive internship post, my friend informed me that his father was a surgeon at said hospital and arranged this on behalf of his son.

My sister secured 4 offers to Graduate Entry courses this cycle and we haven't had a doctor in the family for many generations. She had to fight for work experience, volunteering roles and spent many hours hiding in her room, educating herself on the NHS, the medical profession and goodness what she's up to stuck in her room during the past 6 months. Our family also suffered financial hardship so she wasn't able to attend any of the commercial coaching courses.

I guess internet forums like this should be used to share stories, to inspire people (especially those who were unsuccessful this cycle). @Dr. Ang: I wonder what the moral behind your posts stand? And what messages you strive to deliver?

I'd like to use my little sister as an example to show everyone that if you want something a lot, you can fight for it and you will get there in the end.

:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest