The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Born in England and "Black"? YOU ARE ENGLISH. BOYCOTT THE "BLACK BRITISH" BOX.

*The "English people" are both a NATION and an ETHNIC group. Having white skin is not a requirement.*
Read THIS article before posting: http://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdom/david-rickard/if-youre-english-youre-white-thats-according-to-national-census

Today, I had a conversation with a white girl who told me I was "British but mixed". "You can't be English... you're not white." Oh man, did that BS piss me off. After along debate, she accepted that "white" is not a synoym of "english". It is a nationality and an ethnicity. What the **** does her initial thought process that even mean? Trace back far enough and you're most likely a God damn viking. What is this elitism? As though I am part of an unequal, ostracised subgroup, someone separate from the so called "White English" man or woman. This is my ****ing country. I haven't come from anywhere. This is MY land too.

*I am mixed race. Half Russian, half Somali. I tick the "Mixed" box. I am an advocate for the rights of Black individuals to identify themselves as English too. That is their nationality. Born and bred.*

*If you agree with her initial point....

.....read on*

Listen up, sonny jim.

I am ENGLISH. I was born and raised in England so I am ENGLISH.

ENGLISH DOES NOT = WHITE. ALRIGHT? THEY ARE NOT ****ING SYNONYMS.

Sure, my parents are "British" for they are IMMIGRANTS. THEY ARE 'BRITISH' BECAUSE THEY ARE ORIGINALLY FROM RUSSIA AND SOMALIA. But I am English! BORN HERE, RAISED HERE. I'VE GOT THE ****ING ACCENT FOR ****S SAKE! (Before you chime in, I am very, very, very proud of my heritage. There is no better mix IMO than Russian and Somali :wink:) MY SKIN MAY BE TAN! I MAY BE A MIX OF MY MA AND PA BUT I AM................. ENGLISH!

If I were born in Wales, I would be WELSH.
If I were born in Scotland, I would be SCOTTISH.

AGAIN.

SAY IT WITH ME NOW. I WILL KEEP ****ING WITH THE ETHNICITY SECTION OF ANY FORM. THIS IS BULL****. THIS CRAP ORIGINATES FROM THE GOD DAMN 50s! "BLACK BRITISH?" SHOVE IT UP YOUR ARSE! I'M ENGLISH. ENGLISH! ENGLIIIIIIIISH!

BEING ENGLISH DOES NOT = HAVING WHITE SKIN.

YOU CAN BE BLACK AND ENGLISH. YOU ARE BLACK AND ENGLISH. YOU CAN TAKE PRIDE IN YOUR HERITAGE WHILST ACCEPTING THAT YOU ARE FROM ENGLAND. YOU ARE BLACK AND ENGLISH. NO WHITE INDIVIDUAL CAN TELL YOU ANY DIFFERENTLY.

SOL CAMPBELL IS ENGLISH. HE PLAYED FOR ENGLAND. HE IS NOT "BRITISH". HE WAS BORN HERE. HE CONTRIBUTES TO THIS NATION. HE IS A GOD DAMN ENGLISHMAN. HE'S NOT "BLACK BRITISH". BLACK PEOPLE. STOP TICKING THIS ****ING STUPID BOX ON FORMS. **** IT. YOU'RE ALL ENGLISH. BORN AND BRED!

TICKING THE "BLACK BRITISH" BOX KEEPS IT ALIVE.
THERE SHOULD BE A SEPARATE BOX.

"BLACK- ENGLISH" "BLACK- WELSH" AND SO ON.

TOo COMPLEX? CREATE A "WHITE- BRITISH" BOX. IF I'M JUST "BRITISH", SO ARE YOU.

SOL WAS BORN HERE, RAISED HERE AND IS ENGLISH. HIS PARENTS ARE "BLACK BRITISH" NOT HIM. (OR DO WE ALL HAVE TO KICK A BALL ACROSS A PITCH AND INTO A GOAL TO EARN THE RIGHT TO BE DEEMED ENGLISH TOO?) UNTIL THEN, WE'RE ALL "BLACK BRITISH", RIGHT?

ENGLISH DOES NOT = WHITE SKIN.
WHITE SKIN DOES NOT = ENGLISH.

FELLOW AFRICAN/JAMAICAN DESCENDING ENGLISH FOLK.
BOYCOTT THE "BLACK BRITISH" BOX. YOU ARE NOT JUST "BRITISH". WHEN BORN IN ENGLAND, YOU ARE ENGLISH.

BOYCOTT THE ****ING "BLACK BRITISH" ALIENATING, SEGREGATING AND OSTRACISING BOX. **** YOU. I AM ENGLISH. JUST AS ENGLISH AS THE "WHITE- ENGLISH" MAN OR WOMAN. I'M A FUTURE RESEARCH SCIENTIST. I DON'T NEED THIS ****. I'VE WORKED ****ING HARD. I'M NOT AN IMMIGRANT OR A LEECH. I WILL CONTRIBUTE TO ENGLAND. I AM ENGLISH. IF I PLAYED FOOTBALL FOR ENGLAND, YOU WOULDN'T DARE REFER TO ME AS "BLACK BRITISH". SO, PLEASE EXPLAIN, HOW IS A MAN BORN IN ENGLAND WHOSE PARENTS ARE JAMAICAN ALSO "BLACK BRITISH".

YA GOT THAT M8? YOU GOT MY POINT? AYE? AYE?

Chances are, some degenerate will comment "if u don't lyk it y don't u go to russia or somali den?"

My response:

Peace in the Middle East! (I use caps lock because it fills me with happiness)
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi black British. I'm human nice to meet you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would you consider a white guy with blonde hair and blue eyes who was born and raised in Kingston, Jamaica a yardie?
Noooooooooooooo He's British He's white White he's gotta be britishhhshshshshsh ahahagahahdnbrjdxbxjdhdb

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by FreedomCostsTax
Would you consider a white guy with blonde hair and blue eyes who was born and raised in Kingston, Jamaica a yardie?

Yes, yes I would. 100%.

I consider this man to be one.

[video="youtube;iwDgA9LUVMA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwDgA9LUVMA[/video]
Reply 5
If you're Russian and Somali, why are you even still checking the "Black" box? I'd go for Mixed/Other.

The last couple forms I looked at DID have a White British option, to discern from White American/European/Whatever. There's nothing wrong with the "Black British" box, it just picks out your skin colour and your nationality. If you don't like any of the options on the form, then don't check any of them.
Original post by Another
If you're Russian and Somali, why are you even still checking the "Black" box? I'd go for Mixed/Other.

The last couple forms I looked at DID have a White British option, to discern from White American/European/Whatever. There's nothing wrong with the "Black British" box, it just picks out your skin colour and your nationality. If you don't like any of the options on the form, then don't check any of them.

Maybe....because.....He. ..is...BLACK. duh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Revolutionizer
Noooooooooooooo He's British He's white White he's gotta be britishhhshshshshsh ahahagahahdnbrjdxbxjdhdb

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply 8
Original post by Revolutionizer
Maybe....because.....He. ..is...BLACK. duh

Posted from TSR Mobile

The OP says he has one Russian parent. I'd assume that parent was white. Therefore, he is no more black than he is white.

Unless he actually looks black, in which case...
Reply 9
Original post by Another

A "Black" individual born in ENGLAND is English. All forms I have seen, including a recent NHS form featured the "Black British" box. I do tick the "Mixed" box. That doesn't take away from how ridiculous the term "Black British" is. It does NOT cater to the majority of individuals who are first/second or even third generation. Why are they "British" and those with White skin "White-English"?

Nonetheless, I'm also debating the opinion this girl has, which I have seen hinted at many times on TSR.
Reply 10
Original post by Another
The OP says he has one Russian parent. I'd assume that parent was white. Therefore, he is no more black than he is white.

Unless he actually looks black, in which case...

In which case, she's still mixed race!!! :tongue:

Btw OP, get what you mean! My mum's Kenyan and it pisses me off when people at school act like I should have less of an english heritage/pride even though I was born here alongside them and grew up with them!
(edited 10 years ago)
THE CAPS THEY HURT MY EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also there was alliteration going on in your title which caught my attention.

Bar that, have a nice night/day all.
Original post by joey11223
THE CAPS THEY HURT MY EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also there was alliteration going on in your title which caught my attention.

Bar that, have a nice night/day all.

I know, it's the rage maaaaan! THE RAGE! Oh yes, I gots da writing skills. Night, night, oh champion of TSR.
Original post by Ceryni
In which case, he's still mixed race!!! :tongue:

Btw OP, get what you mean! My mum's Kenyan and it pisses me off when people at school act like I should have less of an english heritage/pride even though I was born here alongside them and grew up with them!

I'm a girl! Lol. Yes, I am as English as the blonde-haired, blue-eyed man down the road. It's complete BS. It's a means of keeping us close but not too close. Always different, always segregated. This is my home, your home and every other Black English individual's. We are ENGLISH!
Reply 14
Original post by thenewone61
A "Black" individual born in ENGLAND is English. All forms I have seen, including a recent NHS form featured the "Black British" box. I do tick the "Mixed" box. That doesn't take away from how ridiculous the term "Black British" is. It does NOT cater to the majority of individuals who are first/second or even third generation. Why are they "British" and those with White skin "White-English"?

Nonetheless, I'm also debating the opinion this girl has, which I have seen hinted at many times on TSR.

Aah I see... I've gotta say, I've never even noticed that till now. I've always considered "British" and "English" synonymous terms with no real difference. But yes, either all races should get English/Welsh/Scot, or all races shoudl get Brit on the forms. Then again I never even tick the box so I can't talk...

Original post by Ceryni
In which case, he's still mixed race!!! :tongue:

True that! I just feel for all the people who look 100% either way. Having to explain your heritage to other people could be a tricky one, unless you are literally seen out with your parents.

What also pisses me off is when people try to chastise me for not "being in touch with my ethnic roots", while the person in question was born in London and never set foot in "their" country for a single day of their lives. Because yes, eating some foreign food and attending parties makes you more cultured and a citizen of a country...
Reply 15
I'm a girl! Lol. Yes, I am as English as the blonde-haired, blue-eyed man down the road. It's complete BS. It's a means of keeping us close but not too close. Always different, always segregated. This is my home, your home and every other Black English individual's. We are ENGLISH!

Awkward :colondollar:
What's just as annoying though is black people telling you you're "actually white" or "like an oreo" (WTF!!! :s-smilie:) just because of the music you listen to or the way you talk!
Reply 16
Aren't most forms with those questions not just optional "Equality" with the option not to disclose the information?

Either way for Ethnicity I put Black African (I'm Somali and usually there's a separate box for that... don't get why we're put into another category). In your case you're mixed which is usually a option so I don't get why you're so angry about it. There's always the "other" section and the choice not to say anything as well.

Nationality would be different since I'm not British nor Somali in that sense and I think that's the part you're looking at more here since in that case, you ARE British.

Man my own post is confusing me... Why would comments by one girl get you so worked up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Yes, yes I would. 100%.

I consider this man to be one.

[video="youtube;iwDgA9LUVMA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwDgA9LUVMA[/video]

hahahahaha that's an amazing impression! :lol:
Original post by Monkey.Man
hahahahaha that's an amazing impression! :lol:

He's Jamaican.
Black is a race, just as how English is.

British is a nationality. So you cannot be a black english.

However you hate the term of black british, that's what you are. You cant change it. What you can change however, is the perception of black british people, which you are not doing any favours for

Latest

Trending

Trending