Type up notes or just highlight them? Watch

Fortitude
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I hope everyone's studying/revision is going well.

I have just started my revision and I'm faced with a bit of a dilemma as typically through A-Levels, I used to make my own notes as I went along by typing them up, I really liked this as by typing up my own notes, I was able to condense them and was left with only a few pages of notes per unit whereas if I'd had stuck to my class notes, it would've been a pile of notes per unit :eek:.

Now at Uni, we get given powerpoint slides and hence I end up having a few pages of slides for just 1 lecture, hence for 1 module, I end up with lots of paper as you'd imagine But it's annoying as everything from 1 lecture, if typed up could probably fit onto ~1 side of A4 so looking at so much slides, kind of puts me off as it seems like there's so much to revise whereas there actually isn't, it's just a lot of slides.

Most of my class mates just highlight the slides and revise from them but I just don't like having to read from so much paper therefore I have tried many times to type up notes & I've failed as it takes too much time plus with science you have some fancy diagrams, which can't be replicated on screen.

So anyone have any tips?
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Write up some notes by hand? I always find that it goes best that way.
gemmam
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
Write up some notes by hand? I always find that it goes best that way.
This. I also sometimes highlight key parts of text.

Posted from TSR Mobile
heidigirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I write my notes up by hand; means I can highlight stuff and draw pictures etc easier than on the computer and rewriting things in my own handwriting sticks in my head better than reading stuff off printed hand outs. It is time consuming, but for me it helps me revise as I write them up so personally I think it's worth it.
Smaug123
  • Study Helper
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Fortitude)
Hi, I hope everyone's studying/revision is going well.

I have just started my revision and I'm faced with a bit of a dilemma as typically through A-Levels, I used to make my own notes as I went along by typing them up, I really liked this as by typing up my own notes, I was able to condense them and was left with only a few pages of notes per unit whereas if I'd had stuck to my class notes, it would've been a pile of notes per unit :eek:.
Yep, write them up in short form. I find highlighting a complete waste of time, but it's useful to have a quick reference of everything in one place.
Fortitude
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thank you everyone for the advice, I'm just going to start hand writing them now whilst making sure that I only write down the main points as it's very easy to get carried away and think you need to write down everything from the slides even if you probably already know it :rolleyes: Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (363)
59.12%
Yes- I don't like it (33)
5.37%
No- I want it (174)
28.34%
No- I don't want it (44)
7.17%

Watched Threads