The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Boab
Maybe when we declare Independence we should annex the north of England? Maybe just Cumbria and Northumberland first, then work downwards, after they have voted for it in a snap-referendum obviously. :biggrin:

http://www.news-cloud.co.uk/TheGuardianPolitics/2013/12/01/PleaseScotlandVoteYesAndTakeUsNorthernersWithYouIanMartin.html

Oh. You're using new cloud.

Any chance of the original link?

You are aware that those are the areas that your compliaing about 'taking Scottish oil money'
Reply 7761
Original post by MatureStudent36
Oh. You're using new cloud.

Any chance of the original link?

You are aware that those are the areas that your compliaing about 'taking Scottish oil money'

I have never once said that.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/01/scotland-vote-yes-scottish-independence
Original post by Boab
I have never once said that.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/01/scotland-vote-yes-scottish-independence

No you haven't. I'm merely pointing out that that's where the money goes. (And Wales and NI) not London and the south east.
More fiscal reality for Alex to deal with.....

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-eu-deals-pensions-blow-1-3356554?WT.mc_id=Outbrain_text&obref=obinsite

So, a quick recap of the current SNP economic position:

After apparently walking away from iScotlands share of liabilities (lol) after being refused currency union, losing billions more than the original share of the debt in reserves and assets in the process, Salmond then has to help fill an enormous private pension black hole (up to 225bn apparently). He may then have to borrow on the credit markets at punishing rates, what with him just having dropped a nice big default and having no credit history. The rUK presumably will not be in the best of moods with him to help him out with a cross border arrangement either. :colondollar: Anything I've missed chaps?

This is beginning to remind me a lot of that Iraqi propaganda minister just before the Americans turned up. The denial is incredible.

07-minister.jpg

I know it won't happen, but I so want a Yes vote, it would be amazing to watch from down here.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7764
Original post by CFL2013

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-eu-deals-pensions-blow-1-3356554?WT.mc_id=Outbrain_text&obref=obinsite

After apparently walking away from iScotlands share of liabilities (lol) after being refused currency union, losing billions more than the original share of the debt in reserves and assets in the process, Salmond then has to help fill an enormous private pension black hole (up to 225bn apparently). He may then have to borrow on the credit markets at punishing rates, what with him just having dropped a nice big default and having no credit history. The rUK presumably will not be in the best of moods with him to help him out with a cross border arrangement either. :colondollar: Anything I've missed chaps?

This is beginning to remind me a lot of that Iraqi propaganda minister just before the Americans turned up. The denial is incredible.

07-minister.jpg

I know it won't happen, but I so want a Yes vote, it would be amazing to watch from down here.

So as someone from down south your view on the situation is that Scotland is a country that cannot survive without England's help, and whilst Scotland suffers you will laugh.

It's views like this that convert more undecideds to YES every day.
Original post by Boab
So as someone from down south your view on the situation is that Scotland is a country that cannot survive without England's help, and whilst Scotland suffers you will laugh.

Where have I said that then? I've said the Yes campaigns policies are economically illiterate. Scotland would be fine if there was actually someone competent running it.

And sorry to disappoint you and your anti-English bigotry pal, but I'm more Scottish than English. Get that up ye.
Original post by Boab

I'm from Scotland and would agree fully with the comments. It's the same problem for any other part of the UK that wishes to leave.

Could you spare me the 'every day we're converting more undecideds to vote yes line' I've been hearing it for years' they've achieved a whopping 2 to 3% swing
Original post by CFL2013

07-minister.jpg

Maybe we should stop creaming our pants and wait until it's been officially officially ruled out (e.g being told there's no CU after there's been a Yes vote in reality). It'll be hard, but I'm sure you can restrain yourself :yy:
Issue no arse myself. You were given the report and cherry picked information out if it. I know I'll not convince you otherwise, but others will have a chance to read it.

:lol: I just realised I copied and pasted from the exact same bit as you did (p3), but I included a bit that you accidentally left out. Yes, I'm the one cherry-picking :lol: :yy:
Reply 7769
Original post by CFL2013
Where have I said that then? I've said the Yes campaigns policies are economically illiterate. Scotland would be fine if there was actually someone competent running it.

And sorry to disappoint you and your anti-English bigotry pal, but I'm more Scottish than English. Get that up ye.

Get it up ye? Grow up son!

You more than clearly imply it in your whole post, especially the text I bolded for you.

The old anti-English bigotry card too. Pathetic.

As for your nationality, I couldn't care less. I welcome all races and creeds in Scotland, including the English!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7770
I'm from Scotland and would agree fully with the comments. It's the same problem for any other part of the UK that wishes to leave.

Clarify for me please. The comments meaning Scotland needs England's help to cope?

Could you spare me the 'every day we're converting more undecideds to vote yes line' I've been hearing it for years' they've achieved a whopping 2 to 3% swing

No

:wink:
Reply 7771
Original post by TheBugle
:lol: I just realised I copied and pasted from the exact same bit as you did (p3), but I included a bit that you accidentally left out. Yes, I'm the one cherry-picking :lol: :yy:

No, MS36 is allowed to cherry pick, not you. Haven't you read the rules yet?

No you didnt
Original post by Boab
Get it up ye? Grow up son!

You more than clearly imply it in your whole post, especially the text I bolded for you.

The old anti-English bigotry card too. Pathetic.

As for your nationality, I couldn't care less. I welcome all races and creeds in Scotland, including the English!

Alas,any of us have witnessed it. Guess who they normally support
Reply 7774
Alas,any of us have witnessed it. Guess who they normally support

Are you suggesting that there might be people who want Scottish independence that don't like the English, and Unionists who don't like the Scottish?

What next? Water is drinkable?!
Maybe we should stop creaming our pants and wait until it's been officially officially ruled out (e.g being told there's no CU after there's been a Yes vote in reality). It'll be hard, but I'm sure you can restrain yourself :yy:

There will not be a currency union. The Chancellor, Chief Secretary to the Treasury and the Shadow Chancellor have all ruled it out. What more do you need? It wouldn't be in the rUK's interests; it won't happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7776
Original post by euphful
There will not be a currency union. The Chancellor, Chief Secretary to the Treasury and the Shadow Chancellor have all ruled it out. What more do you need? It wouldn't be in the rUK's interests; it won't happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps the overwhelming evidence, provided by you, that no one politician or group of politicians has ever lied.

Your confidence in your own opinion appears absolute, but there are plenty of very smart people out there, who think it might, including a government minister oddly!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Boab
Perhaps the overwhelming evidence, provided by you, that no one politician or group of politicians has ever lied.

Your confidence in your own opinion appears absolute, but there are plenty of very smart people out there, who think it might, including a government minister oddly!

The UK don't do currency unions. Its not a hard concept to understand. It wasn't too long ago that Salmond made the claim that the £ was a millstone around Scotland's neck.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/salmond-in-call-to-dump-millstone-of-the-pound-1.263204

He's done a massive U turn on that one and tried to reject the ( although that's debatable as its an entry requirement now into the EU) for the £ as he knows the Scottish electorate don't want the €.
Original post by Boab

Opposition to the currency union is very high, and growing. All 3 parties have ruled it out, and any party wanting to get in government this side of next decade won't do it without massively tight financial restrictions on Scotland, in fact Scotland would have less fiscal autonomy than if they were part of the UK.
Reply 7779
The UK don't do currency unions. Its not a hard concept to understand. It wasn't too long ago that Salmond made the claim that the £ was a millstone around Scotland's neck.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/salmond-in-call-to-dump-millstone-of-the-pound-1.263204

He's done a massive U turn on that one and tried to reject the ( although that's debatable as its an entry requirement now into the EU) for the £ as he knows the Scottish electorate don't want the €.

That top bit is just a bizarre outburst! Politicians lie. Them saying something is not evidence. THAT is not a hard concept to understand, as you would say!

Would you say that Alex Salmond once having made a position on a currency is not allowed to change his mind when presented with evidence?