The Student Room Group

Busking songs

Hey TSR! I've recently started busking, and I'm using all of my own compositions - I play the acoustic guitar, I don't sing. Thinking I can spice things up by doing my own renditions of popular songs. Thing is, I'm not too 'hip'. I have no idea what's popular. You could say I live under a rock.

I've already got my own versions of Taylor Swift's I Knew You Were Trouble, Carly Rae Jepsen's Call Me Maybe, Miley Cyrus' Wrecking Ball and Katy Perry's Roar. I play by ear and it takes me roughly 15 minutes to learn the song

Here's where I need you guys! If you were walking down the street and this guy with a guitar is playing, what would you like him to be playing?

Thanks!
Cannibal Corpse - I Cum Blood
I throw rocks at buskers, sometimes.
Reply 3
Original post by Silver Arrows
I throw rocks at buskers, sometimes.

That must hurt......try bricks, they hurt harder.
Don't do pop-songs, people who don't like the songs don't give you money. There are some songs that are universal, although they are super cheesy-
Knocking on Heaven's Door- Dylan
Wonderwall- Oasis
Free Fallin'- Tom Petty
Anything by the Beatles
Anything by Johnny Cash
Reply 5
Du Hast.
Reply 6
Original post by Tom_green_day
Don't do pop-songs, people who don't like the songs don't give you money. There are some songs that are universal, although they are super cheesy-
Knocking on Heaven's Door- Dylan
Wonderwall- Oasis
Free Fallin'- Tom Petty
Anything by the Beatles
Anything by Johnny Cash

But then you could say people who don't like those songs won't tip me either. Anything goes really. But thanks for the list, first person to be somewhat helpful haha
Reply 7
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Cannibal Corpse - I Cum Blood

PRSOM - Though actually, I think there was a very amusing acoustic cover of "skull full of maggots" somewhere on youtube :biggrin:

In all seriousness OP...

The Wild Rover
Whiskey in the Jar (both are pretty good folk songs)
About a Girl - Nirvana
The Man Who Sold the World - David Bowie
Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd (also: Another Brick In The Wall Part 2)
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You - Led Zeppelin
Reply 8
Anything in Nick Drake's back-catalogue.
Reply 9
Have you considered doing a medley? It's a little more "interesting" for people passing than just one song for a few minutes. :p:
Reply 10
Original post by Comus
PRSOM - Though actually, I think there was a very amusing acoustic cover of "skull full of maggots" somewhere on youtube :biggrin:

In all seriousness OP...

The Wild Rover
Whiskey in the Jar (both are pretty good folk songs)
About a Girl - Nirvana
The Man Who Sold the World - David Bowie
Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd (also: Another Brick In The Wall Part 2)
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You - Led Zeppelin

Thanks for a list! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Blackacre
Have you considered doing a medley? It's a little more "interesting" for people passing than just one song for a few minutes. :p:

I have thought about it with not much consideration at least. Could be fun trying to put one together
Reply 13
Original post by yo radical one

Now to find out how to clone myself..

Quick Reply

Latest