The Student Room Group
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London

Dietetics and Nutrition students??????

Hi guys,

I have recently applied to study at London met. I am extremely worried that i wont meet the entry requirements. I am struggling with the chemistry aspect of my access course.

Just wanted to know how strict the uni is on entry requirements and if anybody made it onto the course through clearing or without all the necessary entry requirements.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ciaralouise15
Hi guys,

I have recently applied to study at London met. I am extremely worried that i wont meet the entry requirements. I am struggling with the chemistry aspect of my access course.

Just wanted to know how strict the uni is on entry requirements and if anybody made it onto the course through clearing or without all the necessary entry requirements.

Thanks

Hey I'm a first year student doing dietetics and I was still accepted even though I didn't get a B in chemistry or biology (C in both). They were in clearing last year and the year before I think you've still got a pretty decent chance. Obviously keep working with the chemistry because there is quite a bit of chemistry already.

Good luck :smile:
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London
Original post by Ciaralouise15
Hi guys,

Thanks

I have the same problem. I knew I didn't stand a chance getting into Dietetics on an access course so I didn't bother applying. My teachers have told me that Chemistry will get a lot easier though, so keep trying your hardest. Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks,

I just had an offer from them. I need an average of distinction grades overall, there is no specific requirement to obtain them in chemistry so i am extremely happy. Thank you
Reply 4
Been invited London Met 'offer holders and applicant event'. But its over a month away, and there's no sign of any interview
Reply 5
I completely empathise. I am also struggling with the chemistry element of my access course and worried about meeting my conditions for plymouth (15 distinctions in bio and 15 in chem) I spoke to my college and have been allowed to attend chemistry lessons for the evening class students as well as the day course so hoping doing everything twice will help me to understand it all! I am also paying for a private tutor but at £26 an hour only managing once a week and have no social life anymore. Hopefully we will all get the grades we need to secure our offers! Best of luck!!!
Original post by kath_igidbashian
Hey I'm a first year student doing dietetics and I was still accepted even though I didn't get a B in chemistry or biology (C in both). They were in clearing last year and the year before I think you've still got a pretty decent chance. Obviously keep working with the chemistry because there is quite a bit of chemistry already.

Good luck :smile:

How's the course so far at London Metropolitan, I've applied for D&N too, is it decent studying there because I've heard a few things?
Original post by HalimahSadiiaa
How's the course so far at London Metropolitan, I've applied for D&N too, is it decent studying there because I've heard a few things?

I'm really enjoying it so far! I'm only in 2 days a week but they're long days and it's definitely not a doss!! The course itself is really good, i think it's one of their top courses, but the uni isn't amazing - as everyone knows.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm really enjoying it so far! I'm only in 2 days a week but they're long days and it's definitely not a doss!! The course itself is really good, i think it's one of their top courses, but the uni isn't amazing - as everyone knows.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh that's great.. Yea I haven't got much of an option as I applied for D&N via extra after I had a change of heart... Didn't want to pursue a career in Radiography anymore.. Kings aren't available via Extra but will try to see if they have spaces on clearing probably. Are you able to use facilities of other universities? Like libraries and study areas by any chance?
Oh that's great.. Yea I haven't got much of an option as I applied for D&N via extra after I had a change of heart... Didn't want to pursue a career in Radiography anymore.. Kings aren't available via Extra but will try to see if they have spaces on clearing probably. Are you able to use facilities of other universities? Like libraries and study areas by any chance?

I don't think you are, but I've never tried. London Met has security passes to get into the library so it's possible that Kings might do the same thing, I should try at some point though when I have a free day... :ninja:
I don't think you are, but I've never tried. London Met has security passes to get into the library so it's possible that Kings might do the same thing, I should try at some point though when I have a free day... :ninja:

Ah yes do! I kinda searched it up and it says you are able to I don't know where you have access to. Apologise for bombarding you with a million questions! But in your course are there a lot of young people or... Basically according to I think a telegraph review the university is dominaTed by older students.. True? I hate basing my evidence in peoples opinions but I'm intrigued I've booked an open day but its in June! Mid exam time so I don't think I'd be able to attend anyway,..
Ah yes do! I kinda searched it up and it says you are able to I don't know where you have access to. Apologise for bombarding you with a million questions! But in your course are there a lot of young people or... Basically according to I think a telegraph review the university is dominaTed by older students.. True? I hate basing my evidence in peoples opinions but I'm intrigued I've booked an open day but its in June! Mid exam time so I don't think I'd be able to attend anyway,..

Nice, might have to try that! There's a lot of mature students, about 50/50 split in our course not sure about the other courses though. But there are quite a lot of mature students on other dietetics courses in general though... And no problem for the questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Hi, I'm thinking of choosing London Met for Nutrition and dietetics. I know the uni doesn't have a good reputation but can someone currently doing the course tell me a bit about how you are finding it so far? Are you able to get all the books you need from the library? Are the lectures and lecturers good? What is the timetable like? What things are you enjoying the most and what are you not enjoying?

Thanks
Original post by Tina33
Hi, I'm thinking of choosing London Met for Nutrition and dietetics. I know the uni doesn't have a good reputation but can someone currently doing the course tell me a bit about how you are finding it so far? Are you able to get all the books you need from the library? Are the lectures and lecturers good? What is the timetable like? What things are you enjoying the most and what are you not enjoying?

Thanks

The uni itself doesn't have a good reputation but the course is really good, it's hard work though! The library is really good, I've barely had to buy any books as I've got pretty much all of them from the library. For dietetics 1st year is only 2 days a week but that'd increase from next year, not sure yet but probably to 3 days. Modules are anatomy and physiology, cell and molecular systems, nutrition and psychology+sociology. Favourite has to be nutrition but don't like cell and molecular systems, it's hard.

Hope I've answered your questions! :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Thanks Kath, that's really helpful. Do you have enough time to work on your off days or do you have to do a kot of self study?
Original post by Tina33
Thanks Kath, that's really helpful. Do you have enough time to work on your off days or do you have to do a kot of self study?

I only work one day day a week, and I still have time to so my own work to prepare for tutorials and have free time, but the thing is I live at home so I don't have to pay rent. I'd say do as little work as you can afford to and concentrate on the course
Reply 16
I only work one day day a week, and I still have time to so my own work to prepare for tutorials and have free time, but the thing is I live at home so I don't have to pay rent. I'd say do as little work as you can afford to and concentrate on the course

Hi there! I'm thinking of applying for D&N at london met too to start 2015. I was wandering where abouts in london the accomodation is? and what it's like?
I'm also doing an access course like others i've read and although I'm getting distinctions in Chemistry but passes/merits in Biology, still seems impossible when all the unis are asking for almost straight distinctions.
Flissy can I ask when you started your access course? - I started in September and so far havent had any grades back from work so im finding it hard to determine if im working to pass merit or distinction - Its so much harder than I anticipated!

Thanks
Claire
Original post by QueenC_87
Hi guys,

Thanks

Hi there.

I totally sympathise with you about the Chemistry, but keep at it!

I just wanted to reassure you that there are other options which include the
BSc Sciences Extended Biology, Chemistry, Health, Psychology degree.

This is a preparatory year (Year 0) which will enable you to progress onto the BSc Dietetics & Nutrition (or any science related or psychology degree) if you complete it successfully.

You can find out more about it here.

Obviously we really want you to do well in your Access and hope that you get on your chosen course.

Keep positive and good luck!

Marcia :smile:
Original post by Flissy
Hi there! I'm thinking of applying for D&N at london met too to start 2015. I was wandering where abouts in london the accomodation is? and what it's like?
I'm also doing an access course like others i've read and although I'm getting distinctions in Chemistry but passes/merits in Biology, still seems impossible when all the unis are asking for almost straight distinctions.

Hello Flissy, I just saw that the accommodation part of your question has gone unanswered and thought you might still be wanting a bit more information.

London Met doesn't have it's own bespoke accommodation, instead we've 'partnered' (if that's the right word) with a wide range of external student halls of residence and hostels.

Alternatively, we find that a few of our students will live in private rented accommodation (flatshares, whole flat and house rentals) as it can work out cheaper. That's what I do currently and it's working really well, although I did live in halls for the first year of my undergraduate degree (not in London) and I did really enjoy that everyone around me was also a student. Probably both options have got their positive and negatives so it's probably down to your individual taste.

Finding somewhere to live in London can definitely feel a bit daunting (and in my experience expensive) but if you do get an offer with us you'll be able to get some advice from our accommodation bureau - they were quite useful when I used them back in January.

I've heard a lot of great things about the Dietetics and Nutrition course, it really does have a very good reputation and I wish you the very best of luck with your application!

Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any more questions about the course or if you think I might be able to help in anyway! :smile:

Kind regards,
Simon (one of the London Met Reps/MA student)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending