The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pgce2013
Lol I was just contemplating how much weight I've put on. I don't eat much, it's due to stress and no exercise.

I lost loads of weight during my PGCE, mostly because I was too stressed to eat half the time. At lunchtime I'd either have forgotten to buy stuff to eat, or have something with me, but feel like I'd be sick if I ate it.

I've definitely put on weight since Christmas this year though. I think it's because I'm feeling slightly less stressed (ie: calm enough to eat) but too busy for exercise. And I feel like I deserve a treat after a hard day/week, so eat way too much chocolate, etc.

Hopefully next year I'll get back to doing some exercise again, but for now I just want to survive the NQT year. Can't believe there are only 12 more teaching weeks left here 'til the summer!
When do NQTs have the best hope of getting a job?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qwerty_mad
When do NQTs have the best hope of getting a job?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Between now and July? Jobs are coming up all the time and I know plenty of nqts who have had jobs for a couple of months.
I'd say March-June is the busiest time.

I think most people on my course last year got their jobs in May - I got mine just before May half-term. But there were people with jobs sorted as early as December.
Wasted the day today where I am mostly free. Gutted.
Spent it planning year 7 lessons, only to be told that their descriptions aren't good enough and that I need to redo them with them. So, that's me planning all tonight...
Original post by Shelly_x
Wasted the day today where I am mostly free. Gutted.
Spent it planning year 7 lessons, only to be told that their descriptions aren't good enough and that I need to redo them with them. So, that's me planning all tonight...

Aww Shelly, I don't get much done during my PPA time as I am always preparing for the lesson before and can't focus. I've changed my lessons many times before delivery, We have Easter around the corner :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
This week is horrible.

Must. Get. To. Friday.
Original post by Steveluis10
This week is horrible.

Must. Get. To. Friday.

I feel like that. I've got a nice day in uni on Friday for a change, so just need to get tomorrow and Thursday over with. Struggling with planning at the moment, I definitely need a refresher break.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by outlaw-torn
I feel like that. I've got a nice day in uni on Friday for a change, so just need to get tomorrow and Thursday over with. Struggling with planning at the moment, I definitely need a refresher break.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Similar feelings here
So tired I'm in bed at 9pm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pgce2013
Aww Shelly, I don't get much done during my PPA time as I am always preparing for the lesson before and can't focus. I've changed my lessons many times before delivery, We have Easter around the corner :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm trying but I'm currently sooo tired and still have so many lessons to plan for this week :frown: Got a mental block on what to do to help them get their descriptions up to scratch and just feel all round rubbish! I wish it was Friday. Wednesday is my worst day, full timetable all day :frown:
There's jobs at my second placement school and I think more than just the one, it's advertised on TES. Should I apply? I'm not performing to the best of abilities at this school and that's part because I'm in Reception, somewhere I shouldn't be. So if I do apply they'll obviously ask my mentor and she's a very honest woman. I don't think she'll recommend me. That said I'm always going on about wanting to be a KS2 teacher and am helping out with SATs marking and gonna even ask to take a booster class after school. That's another thing - do you think would be willing to allow a PGCE take a SATs booster session after school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shelly_x
I'm trying but I'm currently sooo tired and still have so many lessons to plan for this week :frown: Got a mental block on what to do to help them get their descriptions up to scratch and just feel all round rubbish! I wish it was Friday. Wednesday is my worst day, full timetable all day :frown:

At least you have some lessons banked to tweak and use later.

Original post by qwerty_mad
There's jobs at my second placement school and I think more than just the one, it's advertised on TES. Should I apply? I'm not performing to the best of abilities at this school and that's part because I'm in Reception, somewhere I shouldn't be. So if I do apply they'll obviously ask my mentor and she's a very honest woman. I don't think she'll recommend me. That said I'm always going on about wanting to be a KS2 teacher and am helping out with SATs marking and gonna even ask to take a booster class after school. That's another thing - do you think would be willing to allow a PGCE take a SATs booster session after school?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They'll probably be crying out for help with SATS prep! It may Be that you run it with someone but they take a back seat for you to get practice.

Re: applying... What have you got to lose? If you think you'd enjoy working there give it a go and be clear about your KS2 passion. At worst you won't get selected and then you know probably why already. You may get some useful feedback out of it if it goes further and you may even get a job!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Today was absolutely manic.

This has been by far and away the most intense, draining week of my PGCE so far.
So the kids have broken up now, just staff for the next 2 days so we can pack for the move into the new building

Posted from TSR Mobile
Today was absolutely manic.

This has been by far and away the most intense, draining week of my PGCE so far.

The week before a holiday is always terrible. I know what you mean :/
Another week to go here - 7 teaching days and counting.

I had a really bad cold a couple of weeks ago and it's come back this week and I feel rubbish. But not rubbish enough for it to be worth spending time replanning all my lessons as cover in order to take a day off sick.
I cannot handle the stress of this course anymore.

My mentor in my second school is overbearing and scrutinises me to the point that I feel paranoid and have no privacy. She has banned me from doing university work at school because she feels my planning isn't up to scratch. I am so tired I can barely think and I am not getting a moment to do anything at all but eat and sleep this week. I have felt on the verge of tears all day and I can't make my 1 1/2 hour trip home until after tonight's parents evening. I feel like I would have a complete meltdown if it wasn't Easter after tomorrow.

I've never felt so low about this course. I feel ready to quit as I no longer want to teach, and all that's holding me back is how much of the course I've already done. I feel like I am without any hope right now though. Help. :frown:
Keep going you'll feel better for the Easter break.

Original post by Threefold
I cannot handle the stress of this course anymore.

My mentor in my second school is overbearing and scrutinises me to the point that I feel paranoid and have no privacy. She has banned me from doing university work at school because she feels my planning isn't up to scratch. I am so tired I can barely think and I am not getting a moment to do anything at all but eat and sleep this week. I have felt on the verge of tears all day and I can't make my 1 1/2 hour trip home until after tonight's parents evening. I feel like I would have a complete meltdown if it wasn't Easter after tomorrow.

I've never felt so low about this course. I feel ready to quit as I no longer want to teach, and all that's holding me back is how much of the course I've already done. I feel like I am without any hope right now though. Help. :frown:
One more day for me before the 2 week break. Like others, if I didn't have this break now I think I'd have a meltdown.
One more day for me before the 2 week break. Like others, if I didn't have this break now I think I'd have a meltdown.

Same here. Saying that my first placement school took half term early so by the time Xmas holidays came around we'd been in school for 9 weeks! Honestly it was hurting my head at the end. Luckily I only had to plan a lesson every other day so wasn't too much work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest