Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King's College Medicine applicants 2014 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dr Ang
Hi hello101,

PM privately.

If you do try again next year, I will train you in interview techniques. (Free of charge, and when I am in London.) How do you think my daughter (as an International) got into EVERY single medical school she applied to ? Not just in the UK, but in other countries too :-) I trained her to answer exactly how a doctor should answer. But to be fair, her innate empathy, eloquence & intelligence came through clearly. And she also carries herself very well.

Dr. Ang
I will be in touch via PM but just wanted to say you are an asbolute legend .....and thank you so much for all your offers of help...........
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by Dr Ang
Hi hello101,

PM privately.

If you do try again next year, I will train you in interview techniques. (Free of charge, and when I am in London.) How do you think my daughter (as an International) got into EVERY single medical school she applied to ? Not just in the UK, but in other countries too :-) I trained her to answer exactly how a doctor should answer. But to be fair, her innate empathy, eloquence & intelligence came through clearly. And she also carries herself very well.

hi dr ang! since you are currently a doctor and your daughter has just been through all this college stuff, do you think you can give me some advice on which school to choose between kings and barts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4482
The people that are complaining about the admissions process would not have done so had they received an offer. Blaming the system when there must have been ways in which other applicants were more suitable in KCL's view is not a good idea. You should instead focus on what you could improve and apply again if you want to.
Original post by VK96
The people that are complaining about the admissions process would not have done so had they received an offer. Blaming the system when there must have been ways in which other applicants were more suitable in KCL's view is not a good idea. You should instead focus on what you could improve and apply again if you want to.

Vk ... Much luv to u ...
No what happened here is i am complaining about they don't offer feedback which is a hindrance to improvement ...
U will always get it when u apply for real world post interview ...
An they arent saying some are better ... The comments are directed at certain Hugsby1 .
And the point about people being better was basically said to console us rejected people ... Truth is important but u have to get the timing right and give it at the right stage ...
Can u imagine what it feels like to be a grad already on a gap year and then having ti consider another one ... It is pretty humiliating and inconvenient...
Everyone knows what you are saying even rhe person being rejected ...
They are just being nice...
But i thank you for your honesty ... It is very very important to be honest to ensure the facts are not missed ....but on this one occasion everyone is just helping to build morale including urself.... Many thanks and much luv

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4484
@hello101 I just found out, I'm real sorry that's all I can say x
Reply 4485
Original post by hello101
Vk ... Much luv to u ...
No what happened here is i am complaining about they don't offer feedback which is a hindrance to improvement ...
U will always get it when u apply for real world post interview ...
An they arent saying some are better ... The comments are directed at certain Hugsby1 .
And the point about people being better was basically said to console us rejected people ... Truth is important but u have to get the timing right and give it at the right stage ...
Can u imagine what it feels like to be a grad already on a gap year and then having ti consider another one ... It is pretty humiliating and inconvenient...
Everyone knows what you are saying even rhe person being rejected ...
They are just being nice...
But i thank you for your honesty ... It is very very important to be honest to ensure the facts are not missed ....but on this one occasion everyone is just helping to build morale including urself.... Many thanks and much luv

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I agree with that. I hope you make it man, seriously.
Reply 4486
Original post by 0612
Another wise guy with nothing useful to add here!

Nah not really. Good luck to you anyway :smile:
Original post by 0612
@hello101 I just found out, I'm real sorry that's all I can say x

Thank u 0612 ...
I wish you all the very best comrade ... Lol ...
Do share your outcome......

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Neuropilin
Hi Dr. Ang,

I am writing this not to mean any disrespect to you or how your daughter managed to secure many offers this cycle. This is entirely my humble point of view but I would like to think that your daughter would have gotten in to medicine even if her mother is not a physician.

I am not an applicant so purely from a patient's perspective, I don't believe there to be such a thing as how "a doctor should answer" as doctors are human and are entitled to have their own "style" of addressing patients and colleagues (with respect, empathy, sensitivity of course :biggrin:). My favourite doctor is "gangster" as hell, but is compassionate, kind and we all love him to bits.

I would also like to think that having a doctor as a parent does not really give the applicant an edge but the reality is: it probably does, not only with interviewing skills but also with background knowledge and perhaps even with organising work experience? I work as a research assistant at a university and a friend of mine working in clinical research at a nearby hospital recently had a high school student shadowing him in his day to day clinical research. When asked how that student in question managed to secure such an impressive internship post, my friend informed me that his father was a surgeon at said hospital and arranged this on behalf of his son.

My sister secured 4 offers to Graduate Entry courses this cycle and we haven't had a doctor in the family for many generations. She had to fight for work experience, volunteering roles and spent many hours hiding in her room, educating herself on the NHS, the medical profession and goodness what she's up to stuck in her room during the past 6 months. Our family also suffered financial hardship so she wasn't able to attend any of the commercial coaching courses.

I guess internet forums like this should be used to share stories, to inspire people (especially those who were unsuccessful this cycle). @Dr. Ang: I wonder what the moral behind your posts stand? And what messages you strive to deliver?

I'd like to use my little sister as an example to show everyone that if you want something a lot, you can fight for it and you will get there in the end.

:wink:

Hello .....many congratulations to your sister for getting in..your story is truly inspiring and thank u for sharing it with us ....

I don't mean to butt in here but I would just like to say Dr. Ang's reply was directed at me therefore it doesn't actually sound like it would if that was just a stand alone reply .........

Well clearly the unis are looking for some thing and I am not able to express it in the way they want .... This is where Dr. Ang is going beyond their duty of care to help .... This kind of help offers are usually offered by many companies who want to make money first ..... So the intention is quite noble....the fact they are a doctor is even better as they can help me understand how my answers sound to a seasoned professional and I can bridge the gap between what I am saying in my opinion vs what the doctors are hearing.....
To be honest this gap should truly be bridged by the unis themselves , leaving the professional like Dr. Ang to provide excellent care to their patients... And communicate their passion and experience to future medics ....... But unfortunately unis don't...... Which is such a shame..... So if I ask u what do I do if dr. Ang doesn't help me ... Sit around and keep getting rejections till I say things in a way the uni wants to hear ..... If and when I say those things would that be an indicator that I am more ready to be a doctor ..... ? Maybe so...,... But I hope u can see why I can't believe this .....

Now there is no way to know how Dr. Ang's daughter would have done if Dr. Ang wasn't a doc but they were just expressing their opinion and a bit of parental love ( lol u know what I mean )

Anyway I hope u see the point I am addressing even if I am doing so in an in conscise manner....

The story of u and ur family is very inspiring personally and thanks once again for sharing it..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello .....many congratulations to your sister for getting in..your story is truly inspiring and thank u for sharing it with us ....

I don't mean to butt in here but I would just like to say Dr. Ang's reply was directed at me therefore it doesn't actually sound like it would if that was just a stand alone reply .........

Well clearly the unis are looking for some thing and I am not able to express it in the way they want .... This is where Dr. Ang is going beyond their duty of care to help .... This kind of help offers are usually offered by many companies who want to make money first ..... So the intention is quite noble....the fact they are a doctor is even better as they can help me understand how my answers sound to a seasoned professional and I can bridge the gap between what I am saying in my opinion vs what the doctors are hearing.....
To be honest this gap should truly be bridged by the unis themselves , leaving the professional like Dr. Ang to provide excellent care to their patients... And communicate their passion and experience to future medics ....... But unfortunately unis don't...... Which is such a shame..... So if I ask u what do I do if dr. Ang doesn't help me ... Sit around and keep getting rejections till I say things in a way the uni wants to hear ..... If and when I say those things would that be an indicator that I am more ready to be a doctor ..... ? Maybe so...,... But I hope u can see why I can't believe this .....

Now there is no way to know how Dr. Ang's daughter would have done if Dr. Ang wasn't a doc but they were just expressing their opinion and a bit of parental love ( lol u know what I mean )

Anyway I hope u see the point I am addressing even if I am doing so in an in conscise manner....

The story of u and ur family is very inspiring personally and thanks once again for sharing it..

Posted from TSR Mobile

You misunderstand my intentions! I was simply saying that certain applicants may be at a position of advantage because they have doctors in the family. This is merely stating a fact, without any negative or positive connotations implied at all. I was using my sister as an example to show that you don't have to have coaching, or professional help to get a place and that medical schools are more interested in selecting applicants based on desirable character traits (communication skills, leadership, teamwork, interpersonal skills) which they do so by assessing the individual's performance at interview, and the information provided in both the reference and the personal statement. Of course, this may not be a perfect way to select candidates but I think we can all agree that this is the most fair way given time restraints, the sheer volume of applicants; I think the system gives everyone an equal chance.

"So if I ask u what do I do if dr. Ang doesn't help me ... Sit around and keep getting rejections till I say things in a way the uni wants to hear ..... If and when I say those things would that be an indicator that I am more ready to be a doctor ..... ? Maybe so...,... But I hope u can see why I can't believe this ....."

I also don't think this is true. I know you are very upset about your rejections this cycle but there are definitely other things you can do to improve, rather than rely on professional help as many candidates managed to secure a place without it. I also don't think you can blame not receiving professional help or coaching as the main reason for being rejected. As others have said before, it's unwise to vent your frustrations by blaming the system, rather than taking constructive action to improve your application. Dr. Ang may or may not be in London, she may or may not offer you help. And if she does, fantastic! If not: :smile: The question you should be asking yourself is what you can do to make your application better?
Sorry if my comments caused any discontent! This is my honest POV.
Reply 4490
Hi folks

I am writing this now as you people are anonymous to me; I rarely mentioned this to my friends. Talked about growing up in poverty. I grew up with an alcoholic father in a tiny 1-room flat (there were 6 of us) in a slum area. My neighbors were prostitutes & drug addicts. We were so poor that my mother had to pawn all her wedding jewelry to buy rice for us. Wedding jewelry is very important to a traditional Chinese woman. That hurt me to this day. I studied hard and paid my own way through medical school by giving tuition even when I was exhausted . Hence my passion in helping the less fortunate as I have experienced personal suffering and bitterness. A significant part of my time and money now is spent running free medical clinics in the Myanmar border areas where the medical conditions are truly appalling and there are many child prostitutes. My daughter has also helped me in these medical mission trips.

Regarding my daughter. The broader issue is the advantages that a wealthier parent can give her child and the unfairness of this compared to a child who is disadvantaged. There have been many debates over this.

I used to feel guilty about this and hence we made it a point to never spoil our kids. Unlike many here in this affluent country with their own maids, my kids are the rare ones without maids and who washed bathrooms, mopped the floors, do all the dishes etc.

Someone pointed out to me that my kids have never squandered any of the opportunities we gave them. My daughter plays both the violin & piano at Diploma levels. She was the Concert Master of the country's National Orchestra, plus Concert Master of her school Orchestra. She is a black-slope skier, Captain of her school badminton team. Presidents of 2 very busy societies. She is also predicted 45/45 for her IB. She did many medical internships across 3 different countries, different hospitals and clinics. She was also involved in a complicated hospital heart research project. Her many testimonials from her doctor-mentors/teachers all universally attest to her extremely warm, generous & responsible personality. Like me, she has always been a giver, not a taker. And equally her passion for medicine shone through. Interviewers can see this clearly.

So did my daughter get into so many medical schools based on my coaching?

When I first started practicing interviews with her, I noticed that although she was eloquent, yet her answers were not well structured and she was not sure of some medical terms, hence coming across as somewhat gauche. Let me give you an example ( for future applicants reading this please do NOT use this example next year as I can imagine many applicants giving the same type of answer !). When asked what health-related things students read, most students tend to say BBC Health News etc. However, for my daughter we talked about these journals that discussed the medical lawsuits and mistakes made by doctors and how doctors can avoid these mistakes. It is obviously a very interesting publication and we enjoyed frightening ourselves with these real-life examples of errors made by doctors and the harm brought to patients as a consequence of these errors ! In 2 of her interviews, she mentioned these medical negligence cases and the interviewers were obviously impressed.

So yes, please do practise for your interviews in a sensible way. You do not necessarily need a doctor to help you but I would strongly suggest an older, more mature adult who can help you with your flow of words/ideas. As for reading materials, there are many publications on health issues, interview questions. We just downloaded 100 medical school interview questions off the Internet and those questions were a good place to start.

I am sorry that this comes out only at the end of this cycle. I am very busy, rarely goes onto TSR and actually almost everything I said about interviews have been discussed ad nauseum in this Forum and elsewhere.
Original post by Neuropilin
You misunderstand my intentions! I was simply saying that certain applicants may be at a position of advantage because they have doctors in the family. This is merely stating a fact, without any negative or positive connotations implied at all. I was using my sister as an example to show that you don't have to have coaching, or professional help to get a place and that medical schools are more interested in selecting applicants based on desirable character traits (communication skills, leadership, teamwork, interpersonal skills) which they do so by assessing the individual's performance at interview, and the information provided in both the reference and the personal statement. Of course, this may not be a perfect way to select candidates but I think we can all agree that this is the most fair way given time restraints, the sheer volume of applicants; I think the system gives everyone an equal chance.

"So if I ask u what do I do if dr. Ang doesn't help me ... Sit around and keep getting rejections till I say things in a way the uni wants to hear ..... If and when I say those things would that be an indicator that I am more ready to be a doctor ..... ? Maybe so...,... But I hope u can see why I can't believe this ....."

I also don't think this is true. I know you are very upset about your rejections this cycle but there are definitely other things you can do to improve, rather than rely on professional help as many candidates managed to secure a place without it. I also don't think you can blame not receiving professional help or coaching as the main reason for being rejected. As others have said before, it's unwise to vent your frustrations by blaming the system, rather than taking constructive action to improve your application. Dr. Ang may or may not be in London, she may or may not offer you help. And if she does, fantastic! If not: :smile: The question you should be asking yourself is what you can do to make your application better?
Sorry if my comments caused any discontent! This is my honest POV.

No no they didnt cause discontent ... I think i should take a bit offf time off as maybe i am not writing things the way i want to say them ....
I wasn't being sarcastic in my compliments to you or Dr Ang ...

No what you say is kind of true... I am a genuine beilever that one can always improve but genuinely it the is the interview technique and not a matter of how i can improve in my case ....
I am not saying i am perfect lol lol lol there is always always room for improvement but its the interview side which needs more attention ( although now I have to jump through all the hurdles again ... Interview is like a mile away ... Ukcat ; gamsat etc now are there again and here i was thinking i have seen the back of them lol)

I always like to do things without professional coaching as i achieve much better results but sometimes you need someone to tell you what you are doing wrong ......( just like a driving instructor when u say that you havent done anything wrong and then they walk you through from what they saw and it becomes apparent so quickly what was wrong )

Its so frustrating when no feedback is given post interview ( this is what i am not happy with at all ) so i keep on making the same mistake over and over like i applied last year failed at the same hurdle and this year again....
Now i am back to square one again....
Have to sit the god forbidden ukcat again lol
The system is irritating that way when no feedback is given and i am having to apply again and again coz i am just not presenting things they want in 15 mins ..
I am not relying on professional help ...
I am taking a lot of steps to cure this " problem " hopefully this will do the trick ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr Ang
Hi folks

I am writing this now as you people are anonymous to me; I rarely mentioned this to my friends. Talked about growing up in poverty. I grew up with an alcoholic father in a tiny 1-room flat (there were 6 of us) in a slum area. My neighbors were prostitutes & drug addicts. We were so poor that my mother had to pawn all her wedding jewelry to buy rice for us. Wedding jewelry is very important to a traditional Chinese woman. That hurt me to this day. I studied hard and paid my own way through medical school by giving tuition even when I was exhausted . Hence my passion in helping the less fortunate as I have experienced personal suffering and bitterness. A significant part of my time and money now is spent running free medical clinics in the Myanmar border areas where the medical conditions are truly appalling and there are many child prostitutes. My daughter has also helped me in these medical mission trips.

Regarding my daughter. The broader issue is the advantages that a wealthier parent can give her child and the unfairness of this compared to a child who is disadvantaged. There have been many debates over this.

I used to feel guilty about this and hence we made it a point to never spoil our kids. Unlike many here in this affluent country with their own maids, my kids are the rare ones without maids and who washed bathrooms, mopped the floors, do all the dishes etc.

Someone pointed out to me that my kids have never squandered any of the opportunities we gave them. My daughter plays both the violin & piano at Diploma levels. She was the Concert Master of the country's National Orchestra, plus Concert Master of her school Orchestra. She is a black-slope skier, Captain of her school badminton team. Presidents of 2 very busy societies. She is also predicted 45/45 for her IB. She did many medical internships across 3 different countries, different hospitals and clinics. She was also involved in a complicated hospital heart research project. Her many testimonials from her doctor-mentors/teachers all universally attest to her extremely warm, generous & responsible personality. Like me, she has always been a giver, not a taker. And equally her passion for medicine shone through. Interviewers can see this clearly.

So did my daughter get into so many medical schools based on my coaching?

When I first started practicing interviews with her, I noticed that although she was eloquent, yet her answers were not well structured and she was not sure of some medical terms, hence coming across as somewhat gauche. Let me give you an example ( for future applicants reading this please do NOT use this example next year as I can imagine many applicants giving the same type of answer !). When asked what health-related things students read, most students tend to say BBC Health News etc. However, for my daughter we talked about these journals that discussed the medical lawsuits and mistakes made by doctors and how doctors can avoid these mistakes. It is obviously a very interesting publication and we enjoyed frightening ourselves with these real-life examples of errors made by doctors and the harm brought to patients as a consequence of these errors ! In 2 of her interviews, she mentioned these medical negligence cases and the interviewers were obviously impressed.

So yes, please do practise for your interviews in a sensible way. You do not necessarily need a doctor to help you but I would strongly suggest an older, more mature adult who can help you with your flow of words/ideas. As for reading materials, there are many publications on health issues, interview questions. We just downloaded 100 medical school interview questions off the Internet and those questions were a good place to start.

I am sorry that this comes out only at the end of this cycle. I am very busy, rarely goes onto TSR and actually almost everything I said about interviews have been discussed ad nauseum in this Forum and elsewhere.

Wow ... Sounds like you have endured so much... And yet you help ... Its great to see that as before this form i only found very few people who are genuinely this helpful .....
I cant say how humbled i am to read what you have written ...
Ps . Ur daughter has done amazingly well credit to her .... As sometime people are given a the tools but they still dont utilise them ...ps ... I hope u werent offended by my comment earlier ... I was saying that we dont have a a mystic ball to comment how life would be if xyz wasn the case ....
This doesnt take anything away from the person 's achievements ....
I know you will but please ignore hugby1 .... His comment is just not worth even waisting a nano second over ....
Thank u again for so much help .....ur message / achievements are very inspiring.......

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm so excited!!!!! There's just this one more hurdle to jump... anyone else wading through the swamp that is finals revision?
Original post by Cephalosporin
I'm so excited!!!!! There's just this one more hurdle to jump... anyone else wading through the swamp that is finals revision?

Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4495
Hey there, your choice of font really means business!!

I'm wondering too. I wonder how many international places are left?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Miel Purple
Why do you use so many ellipses

....?

Spaces things out ... A bit of my personality ... Lolz

Posted from TSR Mobile
Spaces things out ... A bit of my personality ... Lolz

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's quite hard to read tbh. You don't need to space things out :erm:

and if it's your personality, do you think this is also how you present yourself at interviews?
Original post by Miel Purple
It's quite hard to read tbh. You don't need to space things out :erm:

and if it's your personality, do you think this is also how you present yourself at interviews?

Lol kool thanks for the feedback ...
I like it to be honest ...
Ps this is not really a formal chat that i have to really care about presentation but yea point taken ... Thanks for the feedback ...ps honesty is good but being too blunt can come across as a bit harsh like in ur comment.......
Have u got an offer from kings or anywhere else ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Lol kool thanks for the feedback ...
I like it to be honest ...
Ps this is not really a formal chat that i have to really care about presentation but yea point taken ... Thanks for the feedback ...ps honesty is good but being too blunt can come across as a bit harsh like in ur comment.......
Have u got an offer from kings or anywhere else ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you reply to this, can you try to not include ellipses for once?:colondollar:

You'd be surprised, I'm confident I read somewhere in the rules that chat should be formal unless it's in the chat forum.

Ok point taken-didn't know I was that blunt. I'll improve on that:biggrin: but I'm much better in real life.

Yeah I have an offer at kings and UEA but the UEA thread is bloody boring and quiet whereas this thread is active, controversial and better people bar hugby :h:

Quick Reply

Latest