The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SpiralGalaxy
for those who reapplied, did you find UKCAT easier the second time round? i'm worried about doing it again :s

Doing it again means you know what to expect, how to time yourselves, less nervous so overall you'll feel better which leads to better results.

Although DA was so much easier than last year.
for those who reapplied, did you find UKCAT easier the second time round? i'm worried about doing it again :s

I found AR and DA significantly easier the second time round. VR and QR around the same. (however that is a rather subjective statement). You may not find it easier, but you will be more mature and experienced. Weirdly, all the medics that I know of (on TSR and in 'real life') that took Gap years have improved on their UKCAT.

The most notable achievement I have encountered:
2013 entry: 622.5
2014 entry: 802.5
Reply 4362
I really hope that unis won't look at the SJT score for 2015 entry (apart from Edinburgh). That section annoyed me as I felt very confident about my answers at the time, yet I only managed to score Band 3 :frown: (745 average in the other sections though).

I also wonder how the rating system that was trialled last year for DA will work out this year in terms of how DA will be scored - (We had to rate how confident we felt about each of our DA answers on a scale of 1 to 5 - this data wasn't sent to unis for 2014 entry though).
Reply 4363

I found that I was much calmer as I knew what to expect.. sorta! I heard the second time is almost always better. First time, I averaged 642.5 but the second time, I averaged 742.5 which was a huge relief! I used much better resources to prep (Medify- I should've used it the first time!!) which helped a tonne instead of the book and another online practice resource. I am happy I reapplied and it worked out pretty well! :biggrin:
Reply 4364
Its been a good journey and i'm still upset about not getting into medical school, but i've finally firmed UEA for Biological Sciences w/a year abroad (australia here i come!)
Best of luck to everyone whether doing medicine or anything else!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mcollin1
Its been a good journey and i'm still upset about not getting into medical school, but i've finally firmed UEA for Biological Sciences w/a year abroad (australia here i come!)
Best of luck to everyone whether doing medicine or anything else!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was this your second time applying? May I ask what your stats were on both occasions?
Hey guys! Do you think it'll be a good idea to do my second UKCAT before results day this year so that if I do exceptionally well on results day, I can email some universities to try out my luck, quoting my new UKCAT score (as my old one wasn't very good - only 640)?

Haha I'm not sure if any of that makes any sense?
Original post by FutureSurgeon
Hey guys! Do you think it'll be a good idea to do my second UKCAT before results day this year so that if I do exceptionally well on results day, I can email some universities to try out my luck, quoting my new UKCAT score (as my old one wasn't very good - only 640)?

Haha I'm not sure if any of that makes any sense?

Technically that won't be fair :wink:

2014 UKCAT score will and should be valid for 2015 entry cycle.

I would do the UKCAT after results day and if you get a place on results day, you can just cancel your test and get a full refund.
Reply 4368
Was this your second time applying? May I ask what your stats were on both occasions?

It was! hence the re applicants thread :P

GCSEs- 1.5A*, 5A, 2B, C (probably weakest point of my application!)

First time round:
AS: AAAB UKCAT: 715
Work experience/ECs: 6 months hospital volunteering, 2 days in GSK, 1 day in ENT theatre, week in physiotherapy clinic, DofE (bronze and started Gold), Cub/beaver young leader, been to Africa twice with scouts to help out in villages and schools/orphanages, job as a waiter

Second time:
A-levels: A*AAa UKCAT: 797.5
Work experience/ECs: as above (obviously...), plus 2 days a week volunteering at a learning difficulties school, a new hospital volunteers placement, job as a science technician at a school, caring for 2 autistic children, job behind a café/bar, became a proper (non-young) leader at cubs

I think I just come across as too modest in interviews so seem really average, or else there's a massive flaw in me/my application that I'm completely missing...

First time round:
Work experience/ECs: 6 months hospital volunteering, 2 days in GSK, 1 day in ENT theatre, week in physiotherapy clinic, DofE (bronze and started Gold), Cub/beaver young leader, been to Africa twice with scouts to help out in villages and schools/orphanages, job as a waiter

Second time:
Work experience/ECs: as above (obviously...), plus 2 days a week volunteering at a learning difficulties school, a new hospital volunteers placement, job as a science technician at a school, caring for 2 autistic children, job behind a café/bar, became a proper (non-young) leader at cubs

I think I just come across as too modest in interviews so seem really average, or else there's a massive flaw in me/my application that I'm completely missing...

I can not possibly understand why you were unsuccessful with such a brilliant set of experiences. I do wish you well in your new endeavours, however I really hope you consider entering graduate entry medicine if that is still what you want to pursue. You are certainly more than capable. I hope you enjoy your next 3-4 years and your time in Australia! :wink:
Reply 4370
Original post by frogs r everywhere
I can not possibly understand why you were unsuccessful with such a brilliant set of experiences. I do wish you well in your new endeavours, however I really hope you consider entering graduate entry medicine if that is still what you want to pursue. You are certainly more than capable. I hope you enjoy your next 3-4 years and your time in Australia! :wink:

If there's one thing applying to medicine taught me it's that no matter how much you've done, if you can't get across what you've learnt from it it's all useless! I gained a lot from my experiences I just couldn't get them across properly, scared of sounding too stuck up! I don't compliment myself enough I think...
Yeah I'm considering Grad entry but will decide at the time! thank you! good luck in your future :smile:
Original post by Miel Purple
Technically that won't be fair :wink:

2014 UKCAT score will and should be valid for 2015 entry cycle.

I would do the UKCAT after results day and if you get a place on results day, you can just cancel your test and get a full refund.

Hmm that's a fair point...

First time round:

Second time:

Ohh your stats are actually amazing! I'm sure if you eventually end up being a doctor, you'll make an exceptional one! Did you get invited to any interviews either times?
Did anyone after reapplying and the experiences had so far on a gap year decide not to do medicine after all despite possibly gaining a place?

Posted from TSR Mobile
FIRMED Manchester :biggrin:
Original post by Philippamalko
Did anyone after reapplying and the experiences had so far on a gap year decide not to do medicine after all despite possibly gaining a place?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just go to newcastle if your not bothered about being a doctor. If you know you do want to be a doctor you have no option but to accept your leister offer. As getting into graduate medicine is ridiculously hard. I hope this makes your decision simpler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by raveen789
FIRMED Manchester :biggrin:

Congrats! Now all you have to do is get excited :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4377
I agree with everything you have said. My daughter was in the same boat last year and with more Ukcat practice and strategic selection she had 2 early interviews and offers from her top 2 choices by January and had the pleasure of withdrawing from the others who were taking their time to respond. It was worth reapplying and she is a very happy bonny right now and seriously enjoying a stress free gap year.
It is worth investing a year or even two to get the career that you want for the rest of your life! Well done Mum. We should have a mother's thread!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by bukoba
I agree with everything you have said. My daughter was in the same boat last year and with more Ukcat practice and strategic selection she had 2 early interviews and offers from her top 2 choices by January and had the pleasure of withdrawing from the others who were taking their time to respond. It was worth reapplying and she is a very happy bonny right now and seriously enjoying a stress free gap year.
It is worth investing a year or even two to get the career that you want for the rest of your life! Well done Mum. We should have a mother's thread!

I wish your daughter sincere congratulations! May I ask what her stats were like the first and second times round? And which universities gave out such early offers? Thanks in advance!
Reply 4379
I wish your daughter sincere congratulations! May I ask what her stats were like the first and second times round? And which universities gave out such early offers? Thanks in advance!

Offers were from Plymouth Peninsula in December and Exeter in January.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending