The Student Room Group

Why does nobody get behind English teams in CL?

Obviously exceptions for rivals, e.g for me City and Liverpool are off bounds, but I will always get behind Arsenal and Chelsea. I see it as just being patriotic tbh. So why do, say Arsenal fans, not want United through in the CL?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because I support my club? I've got the national team to be patriotic about if I feel the need to.
Reply 2
Original post by Zerforax
Because I support my club? I've got the national team to be patriotic about if I feel the need to.

But if it's not a major rival then why not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not necessarily support, but I would prefer them to win if you will
Reply 4
Original post by FKLW
But if it's not a major rival then why not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because I have no affiliation to them so I don't care.
The only team I care about is Manchester United. I am never going to support teams which have been our rivals over the past few years, and i'm sure the feeling is mutual. If someone like Everton were to qualify i'd probably feel differently. Was the same with the Europa League, that year Fulham got to the final I wanted them to win.

Not sure where the ''being patriotic'' part comes into play either. Where is the British involvement? Apart from that year Spurs qualified, a British manager has not managed a Champions League game in donkeys years unless he's been in the Manchester United dugout. The squads aren't much better - you'll be lucky to see 2 British players start for Chelsea, City or Arsenal. Against Bayern yesterday we had 6.
Reply 6
Most of these fans are glory hunters.
Real football fans will want teams in there country to do well.

Remember the time when England had 4 of its teams in consecutive quater finals?

Also it's brings more money in to the economy through the multiplier effect.
Reply 7
Original post by sr90
The only team I care about is Manchester United. I am never going to support teams which have been our rivals over the past few years, and i'm sure the feeling is mutual. If someone like Everton were to qualify i'd probably feel differently. Was the same with the Europa League, that year Fulham got to the final I wanted them to win.

Not sure where the ''being patriotic'' part comes into play either. Where is the British involvement? Apart from that year Spurs qualified, a British manager has not managed a Champions League game in donkeys years unless he's been in the Manchester United dugout. The squads aren't much better - you'll be lucky to see 2 British players start for Chelsea, City or Arsenal. Against Bayern yesterday we had 6.

Some enforced due to injury...

Arsenal will play Ramsey, Walcott, Gibbs and probably 1 of AOC/Wilshere if fit so that's 4 and not too shabby.
Reply 8
I think most neutrals do, tbh. If you support an English club that is regularly in the Champions League though then I guess you'd rather the other Engliah clubs were knocked out. Maybe through jealousy as much as anything. I.e. Arsenal were knocked out by Bayern so it would be pretty painful for them to see Man U knock Bayern out and get to the semi's.
If a rival wins the Champions League, they become more of a threat and nick your transfer targets more often. Unless you're Celtic or Man Utd circa 2001, tougher competiton is not something you'd welcome. Also, England have an alright pedigree in the Champions League, so there's no comraderie over being the 'little guys' and no need to support them when they're going to do alright in general anyway.
Nope why should I want a domestic rival to win the champions league. Means they will strengthen and have potential glory. I want the glory for my team and my team only. Why should people want other teams to get that
Original post by FKLW
Obviously exceptions for rivals, e.g for me City and Liverpool are off bounds, but I will always get behind Arsenal and Chelsea. I see it as just being patriotic tbh. So why do, say Arsenal fans, not want United through in the CL?

Personally I don't see much patriotism in supporting a club where the vast majority of the players, coaching staff, owners, sponsors etc. aren't actually English, which is the case for most clubs making it into the Champions League.
Because I don't care. They're not representing me.
Original post by FKLW

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I don't want United winning it, because that would see us out if we finished fourth.
As for Chelsea I wouldn't really mind if they won it. I was backing them for the final in Munich, albeit because a lot of my mates are Chelsea fans and I wanted a good night out after...but also because it meant Spurs lost their CL place.
Reply 14
Original post by nase14_aldayz
Well I don't want United winning it, because that would see us out if we finished fourth.
As for Chelsea I wouldn't really mind if they won it. I was backing them for the final in Munich, albeit because a lot of my mates are Chelsea fans and I wanted a good night out after...but also because it meant Spurs lost their CL place.

Yeah another exception. I was excited when Chelsea won it, I thought most British people would've been tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by sr90

But for players like Lampard, Cole etc. do you feel that they deserve it after the many years of service to the country?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by mattmejevie
Not necessarily support, but I would prefer them to win if you will

Better way of phrasing it :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Malevolent
Nope why should I want a domestic rival to win the champions league. Means they will strengthen and have potential glory. I want the glory for my team and my team only. Why should people want other teams to get that

But in a Bayern vs Chelsea final let's say, who would you support? I'm thinking Africa 2010 World Cup getting behind Ghana.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by FKLW
But in a Bayern vs Chelsea final let's say, who would you support? I'm thinking Africa 2010 World Cup getting behind Ghana.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bayern because I hate Chelsea :colondollar:

If it was Man City v Juventus for example? I'd probably be neutral and just want to see a good game.
Reply 19
Original post by Zerforax
Bayern because I hate Chelsea :colondollar:

If it was Man City v Juventus for example? I'd probably be neutral and just want to see a good game.

Lol yeah what i was getting at. I'll support all English clubs in CL bar City and you guys :colonhash: can you imagine the meltdown if Arsenal won it though :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest