The Student Room Group

ICE QUEST Scholarship 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by astrojg
Congrats. Have any idea about which companies to choose yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There were a few companies I was expecting to be on the list which aren't there but my top 2 are still there - Atkins and Laing O'Rourke. What about you? Also are you going for contractor or consultant? I'm not really sure at the moment, it's too early days to decide. They don't give you long to confirm the 5 companies!..
Reply 121
Original post by ScottishDan
There were a few companies I was expecting to be on the list which aren't there but my top 2 are still there - Atkins and Laing O'Rourke. What about you? Also are you going for contractor or consultant? I'm not really sure at the moment, it's too early days to decide. They don't give you long to confirm the 5 companies!..

Yeah, I hoped some like WSP, AECOM, Ramboll & Arup might be involved. If you are set to go with a consultant you only have 5 to choose from. Im thinking atkins and mott mac. Im not sure as i like the idea of being on site but also want to be involved in design side of things.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 122
Original post by astrojg
Yeah, I hoped some like WSP, AECOM, Ramboll & Arup might be involved. If you are set to go with a consultant you only have 5 to choose from. Im thinking atkins and mott mac. Im not sure as i like the idea of being on site but also want to be involved in design side of things.

Hi guys,

Just wondered what companies have you chosen as your preferences for the Interview Day?
It's all very exciting but we still have to wait for the Interview schedule till the end of August!

Cheers
Original post by moooniks
Hi guys,

Just wondered what companies have you chosen as your preferences for the Interview Day?
It's all very exciting but we still have to wait for the Interview schedule till the end of August!

Cheers

I picked Atkins, Laing O'Rourke, Skanska, Mott Macdonald and Interserve. What about you guys?

The only annoying thing is that the interview is during my freshers week haha! Oh well priorities first I guess! :P
Reply 124
I picked Atkins, Laing O'Rourke, Skanska, Mott Macdonald and Interserve. What about you guys?

The only annoying thing is that the interview is during my freshers week haha! Oh well priorities first I guess! :P

That is a bit annoying. I have choose Atkins, Mott Macdonald , Peter Brett Associates, Skanska and John Sisk and Son.
Reply 125

Wow! I picked exactly the same companies! Although I do not want to work for Atkins that much...I chose them as a preference because they are international and I could work and travel with them!

Are you more interested in consultants or contractors?

The big contractor companies like Skanska or Interserve usually provide the full package to the clients from the design to the construction which should is very promising!

I can relax on my holidays and then go for the interview - much better than giving up partying on the Fresher's week .. :wink:
Original post by moooniks
Wow! I picked exactly the same companies! Although I do not want to work for Atkins that much...I chose them as a preference because they are international and I could work and travel with them!

Are you more interested in consultants or contractors?

The big contractor companies like Skanska or Interserve usually provide the full package to the clients from the design to the construction which should is very promising!

I can relax on my holidays and then go for the interview - much better than giving up partying on the Fresher's week .. :wink:

Oh wow! That probably means there will be a lot of competition for those companies haha!..

Probably more on the consultancy side but I'd be delighted with either a consultants or contractor to be honest!

I'm actually going to be so tired flying down to London in the middle of freshers week hahah! :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 127
Yep,
These are one of the most prestigious companies from the list but that definitely does not mean that they can provide the best placements and support for the students...very often smaller companies have much more to offer with the individual approach and the amount of responsibilities that you can take on.
I am really excited about the Interview Day though, so many people and so many interviews and so much networking going on during one day!

Which uni are you going to? I'm based in Exeter at the moment but I am going to study in Sheffield, so from Exeter it's only two-three hours by train to get there..

I guess you have to party hard on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, recover on Thursday to be ready for the Interviews on Friday!
I'm going to Heriot-Watt which is maybe about an hour away from where I live at the moment.

Yeah I'm flying down on Thursday then staying over night haha! Will probably still be mortal at the interview haha!
Reply 129
Is there anyone who wasn't contacted at all? I know this means I never got an interview, but I thought they would at least email to say no sorry or something the like?
Reply 130
Did everyone get the interviews they were hoping for?
Only got 1 interview with Skanska so disappointed, especially as I'm coming quite a way and missing out some of my freshers week for it. What about everyone else?
Reply 132
Only got 1 interview with Skanska so disappointed, especially as I'm coming quite a way and missing out some of my freshers week for it. What about everyone else?

just a query but out of the 5 you chose they then give you whatever available interviews or do they select people again?
Original post by a10
just a query but out of the 5 you chose they then give you whatever available interviews or do they select people again?

First the ICE select the applicants they think show potential. The applicants then pick they're 5 favourite companies they wish to be interviewed for. Then those 5 companies will receive your application form and decide for themselves whether to interview you or not.
Reply 134
First the ICE select the applicants they think show potential. The applicants then pick they're 5 favourite companies they wish to be interviewed for. Then those 5 companies will receive your application form and decide for themselves whether to interview you or not.

I see, so in other words it is possible that all the 5 you picked reject you for an interview?
Original post by a10
I see, so in other words it is possible that all the 5 you picked reject you for an interview?

Yeah but you're guaranteed at least one with the institute staff for a scholarship that's without the placement, so a minimum of 1 interview and a maximum of 6.
Reply 136
Yeah but you're guaranteed at least one with the institute staff for a scholarship that's without the placement, so a minimum of 1 interview and a maximum of 6.

ahhhh thank you, best of luck with your interview :smile: :biggrin:
Reply 137

Was only given 1 interview, and not even with one of my preferences, so also quite disappointed. But might as well make the most with the interview I have. Skanska are really good so well done!
Reply 138
Hi I'm applying for the ICE QUEST Undergraduate scholarship 2014 just wondering if any of you guys who done in the previous years got any advice relating to the application forms etc. that would be really grateful thanks!
Reply 139
Original post by sbabz11
Hi I'm applying for the ICE QUEST Undergraduate scholarship 2014 just wondering if any of you guys who done in the previous years got any advice relating to the application forms etc. that would be really grateful thanks!

I didn't get any company interviews so not really, just take your time, get it done a few weeks before the deadline, ask your referee to start writing your reference, sign up with ICE and iStructE if you haven't already (Presuming you are a-level or similar).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending