The Student Room Group

Nuffield research placement interview

Hi everyone,
I have been invited for an interview this Wednesday for a nuffield research placement, and I wondered if anybody could give me some advice on what to expect and any tips for the interview. I have never had an interview before so I am very nervous! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not sure if this is in the right section sorry!
Reply 2
Original post by xboxaddict
Hi everyone,
I have been invited for an interview this Wednesday for a nuffield research placement, and I wondered if anybody could give me some advice on what to expect and any tips for the interview. I have never had an interview before so I am very nervous! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have one next thursday! what did you wear? like a suit or casual? and what questions did they ask?
Reply 3
Original post by Euannn
I have one next thursday! what did you wear? like a suit or casual? and what questions did they ask?

Sorry it's a bit late but good luck! I wore smart-casual, pretty much everyone there was the same or just in their school uniform. For me all they asked was about my grades and what sort if research I would prefer, how far I would be willing to go etc., but other people who were there said it was like a proper interview, why you want to do the research placement, why you might want to do it, discuss your reference, just all of the things that you would expect really. Don't worry about it, and good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Sorry it's a bit late but good luck! I wore smart-casual, pretty much everyone there was the same or just in their school uniform. For me all they asked was about my grades and what sort if research I would prefer, how far I would be willing to go etc., but other people who were there said it was like a proper interview, why you want to do the research placement, why you might want to do it, discuss your reference, just all of the things that you would expect really. Don't worry about it, and good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do they mean by what sort of research?
Is it like primary, secondary, quantitative or qualitative or???

Sorry to be a pain:colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Euannn
What do they mean by what sort of research?
Is it like primary, secondary, quantitative or qualitative or???

Sorry to be a pain:colondollar:

Don't worry I don't mind :smile: no just what field, like biology, chemistry, physics etc. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Don't worry I don't mind :smile: no just what field, like biology, chemistry, physics etc. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for that!:P
Reply 7
guys i'm writing my personal statements for the placement. Any ideas pls? my minds gone blank :smile:
Original post by Baz02
guys i'm writing my personal statements for the placement. Any ideas pls? my minds gone blank :smile:

Personally, I started by writing about why I was so interested in taking part in a placement. Write about your hopes and aspirations, and your enthusiasm should come through! I basically used the entire personal statement section to try and explain why I love science, and why I'm so excited about the prospect of securing a research placement, and I tried to explain which areas of science - for me, specifically physics - interest me most, and why. I also wrote about taking part in the STEM leadership qualification, and the West Mids chemistry competition and stuff, because it's probably a good way of demonstrating commitment.

I wrote less for the outside interests section. Probably because I spend almost all of my time on school work and gaming (only a slight exaggeration), and I didn't really want to go into my love for the Silent Hill franchise. :wink: I did, however, talk about my love for science fiction, because that's something that's important to me.

I think that generally when you write an application it's going to be most honest and most interesting to read if you write about things you're passionate about. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 9
Just a quick update for anyone still going, I went for my interview at coventry uni today and it's nothing to worry about! All they asked about was my GCSE grades , current grades, university plans, hobbies and what I know about the scheme. There was 2 people interviewing me and it only took 4 minutes. When I mentioned an area I was specifically interested in I was told to not be so specific and was directed to the next question. It was not what I expected as I don't feel they know anything more about me than what I wrote in my written application. I was told I should hear by May 9th by email.
I hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by LolliesOar
Just a quick update for anyone still going, I went for my interview at coventry uni today and it's nothing to worry about! All they asked about was my GCSE grades , current grades, university plans, hobbies and what I know about the scheme. There was 2 people interviewing me and it only took 4 minutes. When I mentioned an area I was specifically interested in I was told to not be so specific and was directed to the next question. It was not what I expected as I don't feel they know anything more about me than what I wrote in my written application. I was told I should hear by May 9th by email.
I hope this helps! :smile:

did you confirm your interview by email?
Original post by islajabeen
did you confirm your interview by email?

Yes, about a week beforehand.
Yes, about a week beforehand.

ooh, okay, I did too, but I didnt get a reply :frown: , so I was a bit worried
Original post by islajabeen
ooh, okay, I did too, but I didnt get a reply :frown: , so I was a bit worried

I think it should be fine! I did get a reply but only after I emailed them asking for a conformation email, I don't think they did it automatically.
Reply 14
I'm in the same boat, however I understand the deadlines differed between counties and areas. Although my region's deadline was set in March, on the online application system a box at the top right mentioned that it was due April 1st. I imagine this is when they begin to properly sift through the applications, not 100% though.

Wait and see for you and me both I guess!

All the best and good luck :smile:
Reply 15
i applied this year still wiating response
Original post by Baz02
i applied this year still wiating response

I don't know what area you're from but we were told via an email that the Midlands region would find out by the 9th of May. You can always email your Nuffield co-ordinator (you can get their details from the website) to find out the deadline for your area.
Reply 17
I don't know what area you're from but we were told via an email that the Midlands region would find out by the 9th of May. You can always email your Nuffield co-ordinator (you can get their details from the website) to find out the deadline for your area.

hey thanks!
im from london so i think i'll know by the end of april lets hope!

:smile:
Original post by Baz02
hey thanks!
im from london so i think i'll know by the end of april lets hope!

:smile:

Not to long then! What kind of placement are you hoping for?
Reply 19
Has anyone heard anything back from the manchester region?
The deadline was 28th march i'm hoping to have heard something by the start of may.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending