The Student Room Group

Research project ideas.

So for the end of my access course I have to complete a research project for biology. I've got a rather big interest in psychology (which I'm also studying at college and hopefully I'll be studying at it university in september), so I was thinking that this would be the basis for my research project.
I was thinking of something based on electrocompulsive therapy or the biochemical processes of a specific mental health disorder.
Does anyone else have any other suggestions?
Reply 1
Original post by jefferz
So for the end of my access course I have to complete a research project for biology. I've got a rather big interest in psychology (which I'm also studying at college and hopefully I'll be studying at it university in september), so I was thinking that this would be the basis for my research project.
I was thinking of something based on electrocompulsive therapy or the biochemical processes of a specific mental health disorder.
Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Hey, in regards to ECT, it's a very controversial method but is still used today for disorders such as depression and schizophrenia. It would be really interesting to look at the ethical side of its use though, and you could base it on just one specific mental health disorder. I think there's a fair amount of research on ECT in general as well so you could probably do quite in-depth research.
You could also look at the use of pharmaceuticals to treat mental health disorders as again it is very well researched, and it is also very biological. Or, new treatments for mental health disorders would be an interesting topic and would show you're interest in psychology - would look impressive on a uni application too!

Hope that helps a bit :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Claire_w21
Hey, in regards to ECT, it's a very controversial method but is still used today for disorders such as depression and schizophrenia. It would be really interesting to look at the ethical side of its use though, and you could base it on just one specific mental health disorder. I think there's a fair amount of research on ECT in general as well so you could probably do quite in-depth research.
You could also look at the use of pharmaceuticals to treat mental health disorders as again it is very well researched, and it is also very biological. Or, new treatments for mental health disorders would be an interesting topic and would show you're interest in psychology - would look impressive on a uni application too!

Hope that helps a bit :smile:

I've been looking into ECT more and more, I think that's a good way to go with it :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by jefferz
I've been looking into ECT more and more, I think that's a good way to go with it :smile:

Would definitely make an interesting piece!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending