The Student Room Group

Cameron ignores pollution crisis

Air pollution reached 9/10 across large areas of Britain today and even 10 in some. The highest level and dangerous to human health.

The main cause is that stable air has allowed vehicle exhaust pollution, mainly from diesel engines from all over Europe, to gather. Saharan dust has been added, but the main cause is Europe-wide diesel exhaust emission.

This morning Cameron brushed it aside as 'a natural weather phenomenon'. :lol: He is saying this because he does not want politically to take on the driving lobby. Yet we must.

This is also strong evidence for why we need Europe-wide institutions. The EU have laid down strong anti-pollution initiatives - the UK is repeatedly breaching them.

The story from China and other badly polluted areas shows that this problem is not going to go away and is likely to worsen over time. The number of polluted days will increase and the intensity will increase.

Thank goodness it is going to be relieved tomorrow by fresh winds, but we need more from our politicians that EU-bashing or refusing to lead because this or that lobby says stick your heads in the sand and do nothing.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Air pollution reached 9/10 across large areas of Britain today and even 10 in some. The highest level and dangerous to human health.

The main cause is that stable air has allowed vehicle exhaust pollution, mainly from diesel engines from all over Europe, to gather. Saharan dust has been added, but the main cause is Europe-wide diesel exhaust emission.

This morning Cameron brushed it aside as 'a natural weather phenomenon'. :lol: He is saying this because he does not want politically to take on the driving lobby. Yet we must.

This is also strong evidence for why we need Europe-wide institutions. The EU have laid down strong anti-pollution initiatives - the UK is repeatedly breaching them.

The story from China and other badly polluted areas shows that this problem is not going to go away and is likely to worsen over time. The number of polluted days will increase and the intensity will increase.

Thank goodness it is going to be relieved tomorrow by fresh winds, but we need more from our politicians that EU-bashing or refusing to lead because this or that lobby says stick your heads in the sand and do nothing.

The two largest economies in the world (USA and China) are equally the largest global polluters in the world. It is mostly linked to their economic growth and so of course Cameron, being a Tory will favour the economic needs rather than the social and environmental needs. It's why I hate him but also like him. It's a fact that we have to get in our heads, if we want a growing and strong economy on the world stage we got to forget the damage done in the process.

I originally thought like you and was very opposed to the pollution increase over the last century but have come to accept there is no point giving a crap and I should just take advantage of a decent economy and make money out of it.

Do you really think we can live in a perfect world that suits our economic needs while also protecting out environmental needs? It doesn't make sense, it's one or the other
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MASTER265
The two largest economies in the world (USA and China) are equally the largest global polluters in the world. It is mostly linked to their economic growth and so of course Cameron, being a Tory will favour the economic needs rather than the social and environmental needs. It's why I hate him but also like him. It's a fact that we have to get in out heads, if we want a growing and strong economy on the world stage we got to forget the damage done in the process.

I originally thought like you and was very opposed to the pollution increase over the last century but have come to accept there is no point giving a crap and I should just take advantage of a decent economy and make money out of it.

Do you really think we can live in a perfect world that suits our economic needs while also protecting out environmental needs? It doesn't make sense, it's one or the other

I'm sorry you've reached such a depressing conclusion. It really doesn't have to be that way. The larger picture, as well as the small one, is in human hands. Your money will not be very useful, or enjoyed, if you and your future children are living under a thick blanket of pollution. Even billionaires with their islands will not escape the effects of global warming. Politicians like Cameron are only allowed to get away with such slippery bull**** by a compliant BBC because people do not protest.
Ignores pollution crisis? Is it even a crisis? It's only going to be here for another day and poof it's gone. It's like walking past a smoker and making complaints over health complications.

We've hit the top of our air pollution scale. Our scale is a hundred times smaller than Chinas, where it is also based on how it is usually. The top end of our scale tells us it is very unusual for our country but it's only temporary.
Reply 4
Does that they'll refund us for the years of futile congestion charges?
Reply 5
Politicians like Cameron are only allowed to get away with such slippery bull**** by a compliant BBC because people do not protest.

I don't think the majority of people understand what global warming will do, nor do I think they care to understand.
The only way we can act on an environmental level is through global action targeting the US, China, India, Brazil, the EU etc. Otherwise our economy will stagnate relative to other ones. No country is going to allow that to happen so it won't-it's self-perpetuating. Either the whole planet acts, or the UK shouldn't bother with perfunctory crap.
Reply 7
It's not a crisis!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Snagprophet
Ignores pollution crisis? Is it even a crisis? It's only going to be here for another day and poof it's gone. It's like walking past a smoker and making complaints over health complications.

We've hit the top of our air pollution scale. Our scale is a hundred times smaller than Chinas, where it is also based on how it is usually. The top end of our scale tells us it is very unusual for our country but it's only temporary.

So much this. So so much.
Reply 9
I'm sorry you've reached such a depressing conclusion. It really doesn't have to be that way. The larger picture, as well as the small one, is in human hands. Your money will not be very useful, or enjoyed, if you and your future children are living under a thick blanket of pollution. Even billionaires with their islands will not escape the effects of global warming. Politicians like Cameron are only allowed to get away with such slippery bull**** by a compliant BBC because people do not protest.
While it may be a depressing perspective of things, I can certainly say I am much happier now. I focus on having fun and living as we only live once. We have to be honest with ourselves, with the growing world population, a continual move to a western type world( each person takes up masses of space and uses lots of energy) and majority focus on economic growth, there is no hope for the environment. We will keep building, using energy and growing until we starve our recourses then move to another planet ( lol I'm sure it will happen). That's what humans did initially, they expanded their populations until we reach a point most of the world is populated like now. We will eventually destroy the earth, it's inevitable and I'd love to say I disagree but I'm not living with false hope. Just live life to the fullest I say instead of fighting for an impossible future
Reply 10

:lol: it's really nothing to get stressed about, it's only a few days worth of dust and diesel. You aren't going to be affected by it.
Original post by MASTER265
The two largest economies in the world (USA and China) are equally the largest global polluters in the world. It is mostly linked to their economic growth and so of course Cameron, being a Tory will favour the economic needs rather than the social and environmental needs. It's why I hate him but also like him. It's a fact that we have to get in our heads, if we want a growing and strong economy on the world stage we got to forget the damage done in the process.

“If you believe the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while you count your money.”
Reply 12
Original post by Jones Ardent
“If you believe the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while you count your money.”

On the contrary I believe the environment is very important compared to the economy, it's just my personal opinion means nothing. We live in a world where money will always be the greatest desire for people and too few actually place the environmental conditions above their wallet. The people at the top of politics, business and significant organisations either disregard any proof for climate change, admit it exists but only give bullsh*t on the matter or give a small commitment to the cause which amounts to nothing and is purely to avoid carbon fines and meet regulatory policies. It's a joke and you can fight it but by judging the statistics it's had minimal effect. This is why I choose to not burden myself with the task of giving a crap
Original post by xDave-
I don't think the majority of people understand what global warming will do, nor do I think they care to understand.

If you mean capital Global Warming, I think the confusion extends from the fact that for the past decade the world has been experience a cooling trend, all warming predictions (polar melts, sea rises, temperature rises, etc) have been notable by NOT coming to pass and the fundamental physics of CO2 sort of preclude it from being a 'pollutant'.

Yes we need to keep a check on other particulate pollutants for the sake of air quality (and thus public health), but one day of meagre smog in the UK is hardly the call to action (whatever that is) seeing as our environmental laws and policies are as stringent as they can be without suicidally sacrificing the UK economy to offset negligible output compared to our global competitors.

If I may offer another perspective, perhaps the once in a blue moon potential for smog is because an increasing majority of population and economy is concentrated within the M25 and general south-east, thus concentrating the sources of particulate pollutants.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by james1211
:lol: it's really nothing to get stressed about, it's only a few days worth of dust and diesel. You aren't going to be affected by it.

It directly impacts the considerable number of people who have asthma and similar conditions and it causes people to newly develop such conditions.

It's also bloody unpleasant. Anyone living through the last few days of smog in London could easily manage without a repeat performance. Unfortunately the latter is near-certain unless much more concerted action is taken.

We need to move capital away from madcap spoiled billionaires and towards things that matter, like clean air for the majority.
Reply 15
It directly impacts the considerable number of people who have asthma and similar conditions and it causes people to newly develop such conditions.

It's also bloody unpleasant. Anyone living through the last few days of smog in London could easily manage without a repeat performance. Unfortunately the latter is near-certain unless much more concerted action is taken.

We need to move capital away from madcap spoiled billionaires and towards things that matter, like clean air for the majority.

Don't live in London then, it's not your decision over how people choose to commute and conduct business (driving).
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
If you mean capital Global Warming, I think the confusion extends from the fact that for the past decade the world has been experience a cooling trend, all warming predictions (polar melts, sea rises, temperature rises, etc) have been notable by NOT coming to pass and the fundamental physics of CO2 sort of preclude it from being a 'pollutant'.

This isn't a global warming thread, it's about local and regional air pollution, but I can't just let that pass. For a start, you draw a strawman conclusion, then shoot it down - nobody serious argues that CO2 is a 'pollutant' in that simplistic way, the debate is about changes to temperatures caused by increasing CO2 levels.

Secondly, it simply is not the case, repeat not the case, that global temperatures have fallen. The overall trend has remained relentlessly up. The RATE of change has lessened compared to model forecasts during the last few years. However, global average temperatures continue to rise.
Original post by james1211
Don't live in London then, it's not your decision over how people choose to commute and conduct business (driving).

It isn't just London. Peak pollution levels today were reached in the E. Midlands and E. Anglia, according to reports. The city you live in has also had record highs.
Can anyone tell me what the point of a 'strong economy is' if it means destruction of society... I thought the entire point of the nation was that its wealth was reflected in its citizens... not much of that going round when we're all dead.
Reply 19
It isn't just London. Peak pollution levels today were reached in the E. Midlands and E. Anglia, according to reports. The city you live in has also had record highs.

Difference is it doesn't bother me :smile: i'm going to die one day anyway, i'd rather die from pollution over the course of 70 years than die from hypothermia walking in the freezing rain to work every day.

What do you propose to do to tackle this "problem"?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending