The Student Room Group

Manchester v Bristol

My Ucas if it helps shape ur answer
Manchester politics and ir (aab)
Bristol politics and ir (aaa)
Kings international politics (aaa)
Sussex IR (aab) , unconditional if I firm
Lse IR got rejected

Of the 4 I've narrowed it down to Manchester and Bristol because Sussex I feel has a lesser reputation to the 3 meaning it would be less attractive to employers. I've taken out Kings because I've heard that the course is taught very traditionally and there's less room for personal opinion than the other 2. Plus the whole thing about London being expensive, people moving away in the 2nd year being spread out, and the fact that I see myself probably back in London when I'm working means perhaps I should go out of LDN.

when it comes to Manchester v Bristol they both seem to have a lot going for them. Great reputation, apparent great student life, great facilities, both in the Russell Group, great employment rates, and when I went to both I got a great feel for the place, although I spent longer in bristol which meant I got a great impression of the city, in manchester I only had time really to visit Old Trafford lol :smile:

From my enjoyable day out in bristol I thought it was the place for me, but I know that I didn;t explore Manchester to the same extent. Also I think I'd enjoy a more diverse setting, which is something Manchester has compared to Bristol which seemed less so. As an ethnic minority myself I think I'd enjoy myself in a setting where there's a greater mix of people from all different backgrounds. Of course If i'm misinformed about Bristol or Manchester on this, I'd love to know!

Anyway ramble over, what are your thoughts guys :smile: ?
:hi:

I'm a current Manchester politics student, and I grew up very close to Bristol Uni. I've written quite a few posts on the past about Manchester vs Bristol in the past (the search function is your friend!)

However, on the topic of the politics department, the most important thing is to have a look at the modules on offer. This is what's going to occupy your life for three years, so you want to find something that's going to interest you! If you're not interested, let's just say that it's a very expensive way to make yourself miserable.
Manchester http://courses.humanities.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/modulelist.html?department=13
Bristol http://www.bristol.ac.uk/spais/current/currentug/ugunitguidelib/

Now, I've never studied at Bristol, but I've been very happy at Manchester. There's a vast variety of modules to choose from, as well as some more from the University College. There's a lot of room for independent thought (you can argue anything you like so long as you can back it up) - I'd hope that this would be the case anywhere you went, but you've mentioned concerns with regards to KCL, hence why I'm mentioning it.

If you've only been to Old Trafford though, you've not been to the Manchester that you'd see as a student, and tbh that end of Manchester is a bit grim. I'd suggest coming up on a Wednesday for a non-subject specific tour (and you can see the halls in Fallowfield too) http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/opendays/other-visits/

In terms of ethnic diversity, the area of Bristol that the university is located in is very white and middle class. However, that doesn't mean that you're going to face racism from the locals - it's mainly Guardian reader territory. Other areas of the city (e.g. St Pauls, Easton, St Werburgh's) are much more ethnically diverse, and the student body as a whole is a lot more diverse than the locals. In short, unless you feel that you need convenient access to ethnic supermarkets, you'll be absolutely fine.

The area around Manchester University is heavily populated by Muslims of Pakistani origin - it's less multicultural than bicultural IYSWIM, but very different from Bristol in that respect. If you've ever heard of the Curry Mile, then that's near uni and an area that you will probably pass through on a daily basis. There's also a China Town in the city centre though, around Faulkner St. However, just as Bristol students are more ethnically diverse than the locals, so Manchester students are statistically more likely to be white than the locals. It probably evens out in the end really.
1) Be very realistic about what grades you think are achievable. Don't pick an AAA course unless you are very confident you can get those grades or higher. They don't ask for AAA for fun - they won't be lenient if you mess up. Check the terms of the offers carefully (any specific subject/grades?).

2) Look at the course content. None of those courses will be exactly the same and each Dept will have a particular geographic or political bias. Read the detailed descriptions of all the optional modules/units in all of the three years of the course. Which ones would you pick - and why.

3) Don't get hung up on 'reputation' and all that nebulous nonsense. Its something that obsesses school-leavers and not future employers. And 'employment statistics' are a mindless way to choose a Uni course - they include shelf-stacking in Tescos.

4)Think carefully about the reality of living in each city. London IS expensive and it doesn't suit everyone. Bristol or Manchester is far more manageable but still has all the 'big city' stuff.

5) If you can't revisit Bristol or Manchester (I agree that they are probably your best choice - but be careful of point 1 above) for a careful look, then at least check out the videos etc on You Tube. Yes, they are designed to 'sell' you the Uni but they are often helpful in making this sort of decision.

Lots of general advice here - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/firm_and_insurance_choices
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Origami Bullets
:hi:

I'm a current Manchester politics student, and I grew up very close to Bristol Uni. I've written quite a few posts on the past about Manchester vs Bristol in the past (the search function is your friend!)

However, on the topic of the politics department, the most important thing is to have a look at the modules on offer. This is what's going to occupy your life for three years, so you want to find something that's going to interest you! If you're not interested, let's just say that it's a very expensive way to make yourself miserable.
Manchester http://courses.humanities.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/modulelist.html?department=13
Bristol http://www.bristol.ac.uk/spais/current/currentug/ugunitguidelib/

Now, I've never studied at Bristol, but I've been very happy at Manchester. There's a vast variety of modules to choose from, as well as some more from the University College. There's a lot of room for independent thought (you can argue anything you like so long as you can back it up) - I'd hope that this would be the case anywhere you went, but you've mentioned concerns with regards to KCL, hence why I'm mentioning it.

If you've only been to Old Trafford though, you've not been to the Manchester that you'd see as a student, and tbh that end of Manchester is a bit grim. I'd suggest coming up on a Wednesday for a non-subject specific tour (and you can see the halls in Fallowfield too) http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/opendays/other-visits/

In terms of ethnic diversity, the area of Bristol that the university is located in is very white and middle class. However, that doesn't mean that you're going to face racism from the locals - it's mainly Guardian reader territory. Other areas of the city (e.g. St Pauls, Easton, St Werburgh's) are much more ethnically diverse, and the student body as a whole is a lot more diverse than the locals. In short, unless you feel that you need convenient access to ethnic supermarkets, you'll be absolutely fine.

The area around Manchester University is heavily populated by Muslims of Pakistani origin - it's less multicultural than bicultural IYSWIM, but very different from Bristol in that respect. If you've ever heard of the Curry Mile, then that's near uni and an area that you will probably pass through on a daily basis. There's also a China Town in the city centre though, around Faulkner St. However, just as Bristol students are more ethnically diverse than the locals, so Manchester students are statistically more likely to be white than the locals. It probably evens out in the end really.

Hmm difficult.In terms of the city life (music scene, raves, nightclubs, pubs, scenery, bars, restaurants, atmosphere) what would you see as better, Manchester or Bristol?
Original post by GrandMasterChe
Hmm difficult.In terms of the city life (music scene, raves, nightclubs, pubs, scenery, bars, restaurants, atmosphere) what would you see as better, Manchester or Bristol?

The search function is your friend - I've definitely written about this in the past :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Hmm difficult.In terms of the city life (music scene, raves, nightclubs, pubs, scenery, bars, restaurants, atmosphere) what would you see as better, Manchester or Bristol?[

Bristol. My cousin studied the same things there. he was happy.
Reply 6
Original post by Origami Bullets
The search function is your friend - I've definitely written about this in the past :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

im thinking manchester seems to be more diverse
im thinking manchester seems to be more diverse

Meaning what - 'brown people live there'? And they don't live in Bristol?
Reply 8
Original post by returnmigrant
Meaning what - 'brown people live there'? And they don't live in Bristol?

Idk, isnt there more in Manchester than Bristol? I'm an ethnic minority and I've lived in a very multicultural part of London all my life. I do get on with all sorts of people and feel kind of British in that I like beer, football, English humour etc but I still would prefer to be in a multicultural setting, as opposed to one where I stick out like a sore thumb lol.
Idk, isnt there more in Manchester than Bristol? I'm an ethnic minority and I've lived in a very multicultural part of London all my life. I do get on with all sorts of people and feel kind of British in that I like beer, football, English humour etc but I still would prefer to be in a multicultural setting, as opposed to one where I stick out like a sore thumb lol.

Bristol isn't as multicultural as Manchester, but that doesn't mean that you're going to stick out like a sore thumb, especially amongst university students. If you really want stats to prove that Bristol University does indeed have ethnic minorities, see this http://www.bristol.ac.uk/ssio/statistics/totalstunos_ethnicity_detail.html

Bristol as a whole city is slightly more diverse than the national average in terms of ethnic diversity. 16% of residents are from ethnic minorities http://www.bristol.gov.uk/page/council-and-democracy/population-bristol compared to 14% nationwide http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/census/2011-census/key-statistics-for-local-authorities-in-england-and-wales/rpt-ethnicity.html

But if you're looking for somewhere that is as ethnically diverse as London, I'm afraid you're not going to find it :no:
I think Bristol would surprise you - it has one of the oldest 'brown' communities in the country, one which predates Manchester by a couple of hundred years. Its a port city and has been welcoming migrants, refugees and the world's flotsam since the 1700s - Jews, Africans, Chinese, 1960s 'West Indians', 1970s Asian arrivals and now Somalis, Afghanis, Polish - you name it they are here.

Just one example of a part of the city is St Pauls - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Pauls,_Bristol
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by returnmigrant
I think Bristol would surprise you - it has one of the oldest 'brown' communities in the country, one which predates Manchester by a couple of hundred years. Its a port city and has been welcoming migrants, refugees and the world's flotsam since the 1700s - Jews, Africans, Chinese, 1960s 'West Indians', 1970s Asian arrivals and now Somalis, Afghanis, Polish - you name it they are here.

Just one example of a part of the city is St Pauls - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Pauls,_Bristol

Fair enough.

I am a British born Tamil and the Tamil race is a massive ethnic minority. Consider that they largely hail from Sri Lanka which is a tiny dot of an island below India, and that in this tiny island Tamils are the extreme minority, making about 17% of the country at its peak, before the genocide of the SL govt has caused a Tamil diaspora, my parents themselves are refugees.

This has made keeping my culture quite important to me and when I consider this it does make me think perhaps KCL would be a good choice.
There will be a Tamil gathering at whatever Big City Uni you go to - and an active Tamil Association within that city.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending