The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maths Tutor
As an Englishman, why on earth do YOU want to keep Scotland a part of the UK???????????

And don't give me that mantra 'We are Better Together'.

You hate the Scots, even union supporting ones, consider them to be "whinging bigots" and yet you spend hours on this thread opposing Scottish independence.

No doubt your stand makes perfect sense and sounds completely reasonable and rational to the likes of L i b, MatureStudent36 and euphful.

But to me it seems that:

- either you need psychiatric help,

- or you believe that rUK WILL be worse off if Scotland becomes independent.

You don't give a damn whether Scotland would be worse off or better off.

It appears proven to me that you are an anti-Scottish bigot. You hate the Scots but you want to keep them chained to your union FOR YOUR OWN VESTED INTERESTS OR BENEFIT.

You have been whinging on this thread for ages of how unfair it is for you to be charged tuition fees in Scotland.

Why don't you let Scotland become independent and then, by your argument, Scotland will be forced to treat English students the same as any other EU students?

I live in Scotland and will be doing so a few years after independence would become official, so it's actually in my vested interest not to waste my vote. I want to keep Scots chained to the union? Get a grip.
Original post by Midlander
I live in Scotland and will be doing so a few years after independence would become official, so it's actually in my vested interest not to waste my vote. I want to keep Scots chained to the union? Get a grip.

Well you do, you don't want Scotland to be independent. I thought you wanted Scotland to be in the union?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 1tartanarmy
Well you do, you don't want Scotland to be independent. I thought you wanted Scotland to be in the union?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He does. Like the majority of Scots .
Original post by MatureStudent36
He does. Like the majority of Scots .

At a max only 60% of scots are happy with the UK at this moment in time. What a sad state of affairs for the status quo

I think the yes campaign is going to win this. The polls are no surprise knowing that No is the starting point and Yes is the finish point. People go from no to yes. People do not move from yes to no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7884
At a max only 60% of scots are happy with the UK at this moment in time. What a sad state of affairs for the status quo

I think the yes campaign is going to win this. The polls are no surprise knowing that No is the starting point and Yes is the finish point. People go from no to yes. People do not move from yes to no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This logic is totally sound...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7885
Has it consistently gone up? Its also gone consistently down at the same time. Basically, it hasn't really moved.

scotland_independence_35_year_trend-lrg.gif

What is going on in your head that tells you that since 2011 that line hasn't moved? Lets bear in mind that this is evidence you provided into this!

And this is what Ipsos MORI say about the post 2011 period....

"Since the election of a majority SNP government after the 2011 Holyrood elections, support for independence has risen. The promise of a referendum at some point during the current parliamentary term has meant that the issue has risen up the political agenda. The political dominance of the SNP and of Alex Salmond since the election has allowed the Scottish Government to dictate the independence debate"

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is quite different from wanting it to be 'chained'. What year is this, 1314?
Reply 7887
A crying shame that Margo never got the opportunity to vote on her life's work.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/margo-macdonald-msp-dies-at-70-1-3365589

Posted from TSR Mobile

There was a poll on here a few months back about an Independant London. The poll results were the same as above. Similar results can be seen for Wales, Northern Ireland, the north of England, Cornwall and Shetland
Original post by Boab
scotland_independence_35_year_trend-lrg.gif

What is going on in your head that tells you that since 2011 that line hasn't moved? Lets bear in mind that this is evidence you provided into this!

And this is what Ipsos MORI say about the post 2011 period....

"Since the election of a majority SNP government after the 2011 Holyrood elections, support for independence has risen. The promise of a referendum at some point during the current parliamentary term has meant that the issue has risen up the political agenda. The political dominance of the SNP and of Alex Salmond since the election has allowed the Scottish Government to dictate the independence debate"

I know. And with that prospect on the horizon with 'everybody' talking about it, why isn't it higher?
There was a poll on here a few months back about an Independant London. The poll results were the same as above. Similar results can be seen for Wales, Northern Ireland, the north of England, Cornwall and Shetland

Yet Scotland is the only one having a referendum, Scotland is the only one that voted a party that had a mandate to offer a referendum.

Like for like comparisons is just laughable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know. And with that prospect on the horizon with 'everybody' talking about it, why isn't it higher?

Polls can't be trusted...you only have to speak to people to realise Yes is going to win this. I sometimes feel sorry for people like you voting no. You wont change...but as time passes you will see yourself more and more in the minority. Too ignorant to realise why you find yourself in such a position.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
That is quite different from wanting it to be 'chained'. What year is this, 1314?

Everyone knows it is 2014. Here and another example of midlanders attempt to bring this debate down to idiotic levels. Who bases a vote on what happened in 1314? I'm a nationalist...whatever that even means and I'm certainly not thinking about 1314

Posted from TSR Mobile
Everyone knows it is 2014. Here and another example of midlanders attempt to bring this debate down to idiotic levels. Who bases a vote on what happened in 1314? I'm a nationalist...whatever that even means and I'm certainly not thinking about 1314

Posted from TSR Mobile

Talking about Scotland being chained to the union isn't Braveheart type rhetoric?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Polls can't be trusted...you only have to speak to people to realise Yes is going to win this.

Haha - that's the most hilarious and desperate thing I've heard to date!
Reply 7895
Original post by Boab
Well their non-convincing argument saw a before and after poll of the audience have this effect.....

NO drop 5%
Undecideds drop 7%

YES rise 12%

Yeah, but I'm far from convinced 'yes' supporters aren't being dishonest there, describing themselves as something else at the start and switching. I've heard enough people that I trust saying they've seen that very thing happening at meetings with a heavy 'yes' presence.

Of course, that's hearsay, but equally the system is not robust enough to prevent this sort of behaviour either.
Reply 7896
Polls can't be trusted...you only have to speak to people to realise Yes is going to win this.

Er, I've seen people canvassing come back with responses well into the 80 and 90% ranges supporting a 'no' vote. So, um, yeah, the union actually is very popular on the ground too.

I can't help but think there is a rather strange quality to this optimism. It's not happy optimism, it's tinged with bitterness. I'm not sure what it's going to turn into if there is a solid 'no' vote in September. In Quebec, it all spilled over towards blaming - in the words of Premier Jacques Parizeau - "money and the ethnic vote". I don't want to see 'yes' voters grasping out for ever more incredible ways to explain things away, I would like them to respect the vote and get on with helping to improve Scotland and Britain.
(edited 10 years ago)
Polls can't be trusted...you only have to speak to people to realise Yes is going to win this. I sometimes feel sorry for people like you voting no. You wont change...but as time passes you will see yourself more and more in the minority. Too ignorant to realise why you find yourself in such a position.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need to ask around outside your immediate group of friends. There's a lot voting no
Reply 7898

April 1st was a few days ago mate.
Reply 7899
Original post by L i b
I'm not sure what it's going to turn into if there is a solid 'no' vote in September. In Quebec, it all spilled over towards blaming

The biggest decision we will ever make as a country, and more than likely it'll be a close call whichever way it goes.
Of course there's going to be a lot of pissed off people, either way!

Latest

Trending

Trending