The Student Room Group

UCL postgrad applicants 2014-2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nicob87
Got my PhD interview in about an hour.

Any tips/recommendations on what should I expect?

They only asked 5 questions in mine:

Why a PhD?
Where do you see yourself in the future?
Why this topic?
What are you suitable candidate?

And something else that I can't remember what it was but was equally obvious...

Then they asked if I had any questions.
Original post by romit2311
Hi, when did you apply to this course, I just applied today? If you don't mind me asking, what degree are you currently doing/ or have done? and what your offer is?

You may have to quote the person you're aiming your questions at otherwise they may not see this message/ know who you're speaking to! :redface:
Reply 382
Original post by 92DL
I applied to ucl and lse, basically I would be over the moon with on offer of either as they both have their perks. What about you? What course did you apply to?

MA in Politics, Security and Integration. :smile: I also considered applying to LSE but the tuition fee is a lot higher and although LSE is a great uni, UCL is ranked 4th in the world as well. I also already have an MSc from Edinburgh Uni so I think it's either UCL or nothing. :smile:
Reply 383
Original post by redferry
They only asked 5 questions in mine:

Why a PhD?
Where do you see yourself in the future?
Why this topic?
What are you suitable candidate?

And something else that I can't remember what it was but was equally obvious...

Then they asked if I had any questions.

Mine's supossedly 15-20 mins tops, so I guess it might be similar to yours.

Hopefully it'll go down well.

Anyone knows how likely it is to get an offer once they do interview you for a PhD at UCL?
Original post by nicob87
Mine's supossedly 15-20 mins tops, so I guess it might be similar to yours.

Hopefully it'll go down well.

Anyone knows how likely it is to get an offer once they do interview you for a PhD at UCL?

Yeah sounds exactly the same as mine then!

For mine they were interviewing 2 people to each place so a 50% chance :smile:
Reply 385

Thanks!

Also would love a separate UCL housing thread!
Reply 386
Original post by nicob87
Any international applicants? Seems to me the lot of you guys are from the UK. It'd be cool to know there are fellow foreigners applying to UCL as well :smile:

I'm International too, American! Nice to see out international students on here!
Reply 387
Got an offer for International Public Policy :smile:
Original post by 92DL

Congrats! We might be in the same classes as a lot of SPP courses overlap :smile:
Reply 389
Original post by 92DL

WOO HOO! See you in class! :smile:
Reply 390
Original post by oywiththepoodles
Congrats! We might be in the same classes as a lot of SPP courses overlap :smile:

That's amazing! Do you know where I can find the additional info as to when I have to respond? How much the deposit will be? I got an offer for a 2.1 does that mean just 60% or will it later be more detailed? Sorry for the many questions :wink:
Reply 391
Original post by mcstone12
WOO HOO! See you in class! :smile:

Yea, I'm so excited!!!
Original post by 92DL
That's amazing! Do you know where I can find the additional info as to when I have to respond? How much the deposit will be? I got an offer for a 2.1 does that mean just 60% or will it later be more detailed? Sorry for the many questions :wink:

I believe somewhere in my offer letter it said that if I could respond within 4 weeks that would be great but it isn't a problem if I don't and need to take longer. A deposit for accepting the offer? I don't believe UCL asks for a deposit :smile: I'm not sure about this, same with me...I assume it's just a 60 but I have read on some forums that it might mean a high 2:1 so 67 or over? Perhaps someone here who has more knowledge about that can help us out?:tongue:
It's not a problem! Sorry I can't be of much help haha. I haven't received anything from them since accepting my place but portico says more information will come in June!
Reply 393
Original post by 92DL

Amazing news! :smile: Congrats! :wink:
Reply 394
So according to my understanding, UK and EU postgraduates students won't be given a universtity managed property? (and hence they have to find on their own where to live)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Spairos
So according to my ubnderstanding, UK and EU postgraduates students won't be given a universtity managed property? (and hence they have to find on their own where to live)

Yeah, that's as much as I know
Reply 396
Original post by oywiththepoodles
Yeah, that's as much as I know

So any plans so far, anyone?
Hey everyone!

I received a week ago an unconditional offer for the MSc Global Governance and Ethics taught by the School of Public Policy! I am obviously very excited and, even if I have been following this thread ever since, I just decided to join in today. I am still waiting for an answer from the LSE, but I am starting to consider seriously accepting UCL's offer in any case, as LSE's fees are considerably higher.

Even if I have read many things about people accepted for the IPP programme, I have yet to meet someone who intends to follow the MSc I got accepted into. I've heard the majority of students from SPP do study IPP (which sounds pretty normal), but I'd be very interested to find infos about the other MSc, their reputation and what makes them standout in comparison with IPP.

To give a bit of background, I graduated from the University of Geneva with a BA in International Relations and I am looking for a MSc that would allow me to go deeper into the field. I am not particularly interested in Public Policy as a subject, and am more looking for a degree that can both fulfill me academically (I am notably very interested in the various facets of globalisation, notably on a socio-political and cultural level, which made me consider "Global Governance and Ethics") and give me decent career opportunities later on.

Sorry for the long message, I just hope someone more informed about the SPP (and quite patient :tongue:) can cool down all my doubts and anguishes!

Oh, and I would also be interested if someone knows about a facebook group dedicated to finding accommodation within London. I come from France, so I have come to the painful realization that UCL will not provide any type of student housing.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Spairos
So any plans so far, anyone?

My plan so far = Find some people to form a group with to take a house with a 20-30 minute commute to Euston with rooms for under £700 including bills.

That's about as far as I got.

I might be better staying with professionals though because my partner is coming and Council tax might be an issue otherwise as he isn't a student.

I wish there was some way to get chatting to potential housemates online.
Original post by redferry
My plan so far = Find some people to form a group with to take a house with a 20-30 minute commute to Euston with rooms for under £700 including bills.

That's about as far as I got.

I might be better staying with professionals though because my partner is coming and Council tax might be an issue otherwise as he isn't a student.

I wish there was some way to get chatting to potential housemates online.

I was going to suggest maybe a thread to find housemates in London? We could post our requirements e.g. quiet house, 20-30min from Euston etc ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending